Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 280269 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #1170 on: November 15, 2018, 12:59:12 PM »

Without diving into numbers the way Kiid does, it strikes me that if these same voters were choosing in the AL in 2016, Verlander (or Kluber) would have gotten the nod over Porcello.

Which confirms my opinion that the writers have no business creating the news and handing out awards in this sport or any other.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: November 15, 2018, 07:37:08 PM »

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25288064/mookie-betts-beats-mike-trout-jose-ramirez-win-american-league-mvp

Mookie Betts couldn't draw up a dream season much more perfect than this: a batting title, a 30/30 campaign, a World Series championship and now the American League MVP award.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: November 15, 2018, 07:44:28 PM »

and Yelich snags the NL MVP

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25288187/christian-yelich-milwaukee-brewers-named-national-league-mvp

Yelich topped fellow finalists Nolan Arenado of the Colorado Rockies and Javier Baez of the Chicago Cubs when the winner was announced Thursday. He received 29 of 30 first-place votes and 415 points. The other first-place vote went to New York Mets pitcher Jacob deGrom, the NL Cy Young Award winner, who finished fifth.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: November 16, 2018, 01:10:01 AM »

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25278064/red-sox-reward-manager-alex-cora-extension-2021

1  year? I suspect the money was the bigger reason for the new deal - I hope he did very well.

I'm in favor of keeping him around. I wonder if the Yankees are giving an extension and raise to Aaron Boone!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: November 16, 2018, 05:05:28 PM »

Evil Empire 3?

If anyone had any doubt about Philadelphia Phillies owner John Middleton’s intentions this winter, he made it abundantly clear before leaving the Major League Baseball owners’ meetings.

“We’re going into this expecting to spend money,’’ Middleton told USA TODAY Sports. “And maybe even be a little bit stupid about it.’’

Middleton laughed, then said without smiling: “We just prefer not to be completely stupid."

But, oh, how they will be spending.

Yes, he is talking about you, Bryce Harper and Manny Machado.

The Phillies have just $68.9 million on the books in 2019, according to salary information obtained by USA TODAY Sports. That figure drops to $50.68 million in 2020 and plummets to $15.1 million in 2021.

“It’s exciting to contemplate what we may be able to do this off-season,’’ Middleton said. “We know the free agent class this year is really, really good.’’

Could they spend in excess of $700 million to land the two biggest fish in the free-agent sea?

“I don’t know who you’re referring to,’’ Middleton said, with a laugh. “But we will be spending.’’

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/11/16/phillies-free-agency-bryce-harper-manny-machado/2016945002/

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: November 16, 2018, 06:24:41 PM »

throwing hundreds of millions of $$$ at a dead sport?

that might be a definition of being "a little bit stupid"

Hopefully for the Phillies and their fans sake baseball is not all dead, but only mostly dead.

RIP William Goldman
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:09:08 PM by bankshot1 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: November 16, 2018, 06:53:26 PM »

throwing hundreds of millions of $$$ in a dead sport?

Hopefully for the Phillies and their fans sake baseball like is not all dead, but only mostly dead.

RIP William Goldman

The author of the Silent Gondoliers expressed his remorse at Goldman's impending death.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 16, 2018, 09:48:21 PM »

Hopefully for the Phillies and their fans sake baseball is not all dead, but only mostly dead.

RIP William Goldman

I see you still have a diminished capacity to comprehend what was clearly put forth.

You're brain is dead.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: November 16, 2018, 09:59:11 PM »

RIP William Goldman

I see you still have a diminished capacity to comprehend what was clearly put forth.

You're brain is dead.

What you put forth?

you made it perfectly clear

1-Baseball is a dead boring sport

and

2-the Phillies hope to be only a little bit stupid this year.

As opposed to presumably the crushing penalty of Utley-level stupid they've labored under for years.

SSDD

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 10:11:37 PM by bankshot1 »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 16, 2018, 10:13:10 PM »

Sox resign WS MVP Pearce  1/6 deal.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: November 17, 2018, 10:07:45 AM »

RIP William Goldman

You're brain is dead.

What you put forth?

you made it perfectly clear

1-Baseball is a dead boring sport

and

2-the Phillies hope to be only a little bit stupid this year.

As opposed to presumably the crushing penalty of Utley-level stupid they've labored under for years.

SSDD

With each post,office you're compounding your own stupidity, dope.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: November 17, 2018, 11:58:25 AM »

Fox re-ups with MLB

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/sports/mlb-fox-tv-deal.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fbaseball&action=click&contentCollection=baseball&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

Major League Baseball and Fox Sports announced they had extended their national television rights agreement. The terms were not disclosed, but two people with direct knowledge of the deal said it was for seven years, through the 2028 season, and $5.1 billion.

That is a significant increase over the current deal with Fox, which expires after the 2021 season and was for eight years and $4.2 billion, according to the Sports Business Journal.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: November 17, 2018, 05:19:55 PM »

700 mil

heh

Please stop with the ridiculous figures.

I have Met fams wanting to offer Machado 400.  Please.  Dont be an idiot.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: November 19, 2018, 06:40:30 PM »

So I was watching Showtime's "Ray Donovan" last night, (a lot of bad acting but fun) and in a closing scene, after Ray beats the shit out of a bad guy with a baseball bat, he's asked by his daughter's fiancee, why he uses a wood bat, as studies have shown aluminum get at least 5% more distance.

and Ray answers, “Did Carlton Fisk use fucking aluminum when he won Game 6? No. Fucking wood.”

It cracked up.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: November 20, 2018, 10:00:06 AM »

Big Maple leaving Seattle very tough to believe.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 469