Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282205 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #1275 on: December 13, 2018, 06:59:31 PM »

Nice recovery, Junior. You've revised your opinion.

But it doesn't change the point that writers are peddling influence of cash flowing to athletes during and after their careers, and that is just wrong.

there is no revison whatsoever.

Some bias is inherant in any human endeavor.

That you do not understand basic human psychology just adds to the list of stuff you don't have a clue about.

SSDD
My view is that the bias among the writers has become more pronounced.  I think it will ease over the years.  Which is certainly not an argument for special committees.  At the same time any discussion inevitably leading to a discussion about the issue of PEDs is probably not worth having.

I would not know how to go about measuring sportswriter bias today versus 50 years ago. Other than certain biases may be more easy to discuss in polite company today than those held 50 years ago and they just seem more out in the open today. I would suspect biases change over time and will change going forward.

I think there's a good chance most of the PED guys get in. And when the last writer to have first-hand knowledge of the assholiness of Albert Belle pens his last Belle tome, Bell will get a new hearing and he may get in.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: December 13, 2018, 07:19:31 PM »

Agreed. And perversely the admission of Baines could speed up that process.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: December 13, 2018, 10:46:53 PM »

So you think writers change their approach just because one undeserving star snuck through for a plaque?

Doesn't make much sense to me, but you can search for such evidence and post it If you wish.

Again....LaRussa's yougottabefuckinkiddingme stance when Russo wavered on Trammel says it all.

I can imagine Baines' intangibles were every bit as impressive as Alan's.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: December 13, 2018, 10:53:27 PM »

I don't think "Alan" should be  in either.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: December 14, 2018, 12:52:49 AM »

Imagine my fuc king surprise.

You are hereby ordered to watch the Russo-LaRussa tussle 100 times.  Maybe eventually something sinks in.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: December 14, 2018, 01:00:17 AM »

How many years did Jeter have a 6+ WAR?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 14, 2018, 06:44:42 AM »

You go from "intangibles" to "WAR" in the space of 5 posts, from seam-head to eye-test guy. Make up your mind.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:46:30 AM by Yankguy1 »

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: December 14, 2018, 10:05:22 AM »

Nice recovery, Junior. You've revised your opinion.

But it doesn't change the point that writers are peddling influence of cash flowing to athletes during and after their careers, and that is just wrong.

there is no revison whatsoever.

Some bias is inherant in any human endeavor.

That you do not understand basic human psychology just adds to the list of stuff you don't have a clue about.

SSDD
My view is that the bias among the writers has become more pronounced.  I think it will ease over the years.  Which is certainly not an argument for special committees.  At the same time any discussion inevitably leading to a discussion about the issue of PEDs is probably not worth having.

Bias is bias. If the process was defined clearly as to how to qualify for the Hall, as in, this is what you need to do on the field to qualify as a hitter, pitch, catcher, second baseman, etc, based on the aggregate statistics for those already in the HOF, the writers and the committee could be disbanded.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: December 14, 2018, 10:10:52 AM »

Brilliant!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: December 14, 2018, 04:05:10 PM »

I'm thinking we've broken through some barrier.  The Orioles new manager is named "Brandon".  I sense the days of skippers named "Doc" are long gone.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: December 14, 2018, 04:58:15 PM »

I'm thinking we've broken through some barrier.  The Orioles new manager is named "Brandon".  I sense the days of skippers named "Doc" are long gone.

Cry me a rivers.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: December 14, 2018, 05:38:41 PM »

Likely the term "skipper" has passed by, too.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: December 15, 2018, 10:16:57 AM »

How many years did Jeter have a 6+ WAR?

Half as many as NOMAAAAH!

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: December 15, 2018, 10:25:33 AM »

That is correct

And half as many as ALAN TRAMMEL.

Trammel, Barry Larkin and Jeter have almost identical career WAR.  (Nomar not close, of course)

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: December 15, 2018, 11:11:09 AM »

That is correct

And half as many as ALAN TRAMMEL.

Trammel, Barry Larkin and Jeter have almost identical career WAR.  (Nomar not close, of course)

And those three are far, far distant from Alex Rodriguez and Cal Ripken:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_SS.shtml

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 469