Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282553 times)

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #1290 on: December 15, 2018, 11:48:20 AM »

Yep

But who the hell is George Davis?

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 15, 2018, 12:20:15 PM »

My cousin, believe it or not. A Cleveland Spider from back in the day-day-day!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/davisge01.shtml

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 15, 2018, 08:31:39 PM »

Passing on a question from MLB Twitter:

Who is the best player you have seen in person?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 15, 2018, 08:58:10 PM »

I saw past their primes Mantle and Mays but I remember Yankguy, Sr. pointing them out in hushed tones.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 15, 2018, 11:48:14 PM »

For me it was CLEMENTE over Bonds, Piazza and Ozzie.  But A-Rod was pretty darn fucking good, as was Doc Gooden.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 03:18:14 PM by kiiidcarter8 »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 16, 2018, 09:57:03 AM »

Never saw Mays in person, but like yank saw a few alltime greats play past their primes.

As we're talking players and not hitters, (Pedro and Clemens etc. excluded for simplicity) today, I'd probably go

Aaron
Williams
Mantle

Peak

ARod
Frank Robby
Griffey Jr.
Yaz

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 16, 2018, 10:39:26 AM »

Passing on a question from MLB Twitter:

Who is the best player you have seen in person?
Probably Ken Griffey Jr., Alex Rodriguez or Frank Robinson. For.pitchers, Randy Johnson. I also saw Verlander's MLB debut.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 16, 2018, 10:42:46 AM »

Peak

ARod
Frank Robby
Griffey Jr.
Yaz
Uh... I realize he is a New England icon, but he is kind of in a non-jock holding relationship ship with the other three. It.would be like listing Kaline.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 16, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »

Peak

ARod
Frank Robby
Griffey Jr.
Yaz
Uh... I realize he is a New England icon, but he is kind of in a non-jock holding relationship ship with the other three. It.would be like listing Kaline.

Yaz?

I mostly threw him in for old-time and conversational sakes. But you may want to take a gander at his stats and WAR in the '67-'70 period. He AVERAGED 9.5 WAR in those 4 years, and during a time when pitching was dominant,

AND his '67 season was the single greatest year I've seen any player have in watching the game 60 years.

In terms of this discussion he belongs.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 16, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »

Peak

ARod
Frank Robby
Griffey Jr.
Yaz

Yaz?

I mostly threw him in for old-time and conversational sakes. But you may want to take a gander at his stats and WAR in the '67-'70 period. He AVERAGED 9.5 WAR in those 4 years, and during a time when pitching was dominant,

AND his '67 season was the single greatest year I've seen any player have in watching the game 60 years.

In terms of this discussion he belongs.

Forgive him.  He just doesn't know

Yaz was a compiler, after all.  Just ask Fat Mike.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 16, 2018, 10:11:17 PM »

Best player... that's hard. So many. I think about guys that played well and for a long time. And won, and guys you wanted to emulate. Mays. Rose. Frank and Brooks Robinson. Clemente. Aaron. Schmidt. Griffey, Jr. Even Stargell. And Thome. Arod. Ripken. Joe Morgan, whose 1975 season outdid Yaz's.

I think I'd go with Rickey Henderson. No one put pressure on an opponent like Rickey being Rickey.

Best pitcher is hard. Gibson was fun to watch. Few could match the intensity of Carlton or Seaver or Drysdale. Marichal was a wonder to watch pitch. So was Greg Maddox. But I'd have to go with Koufax.

But we could be watching the best player of our time right now. Trout.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:23:58 PM by HamiltonIII »

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 16, 2018, 10:35:09 PM »

Yastrzemski hit .326 to go with 44 home runs and 121 RBI, 112 runs and 189 hits, all leading the league. As a result, he was a no-brainer for the MVP award that year, and a massive 12.2 WAR was thanks to great defense as well. In 1967. Total bases 360. Ops 1.040. A great season.

Joe Morgan in 1975,  led the league with 132 walks while batting .327 with 67 stolen bases, 17 home runs and 94 RBI. That and a WAR of 12 led to his first of two MVP awards. 1.020 ops. A great season... because...

Morgan won the World Series, too.

Yaz?..uh, no. Never won.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 17, 2018, 02:31:30 PM »

Yastrzemski hit .326 to go with 44 home runs and 121 RBI, 112 runs and 189 hits, all leading the league. As a result, he was a no-brainer for the MVP award that year, and a massive 12.2 WAR was thanks to great defense as well. In 1967. Total bases 360. Ops 1.040. A great season.

Joe Morgan in 1975,  led the league with 132 walks while batting .327 with 67 stolen bases, 17 home runs and 94 RBI. That and a WAR of 12 led to his first of two MVP awards. 1.020 ops. A great season... because...

Morgan won the World Series, too.

Yaz?..uh, no. Never won.

Arguing that to be a great player, one had to have won the championship?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 17, 2018, 02:48:41 PM »

We call that the dummfukk take.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 17, 2018, 03:09:18 PM »

I have little idea who the greatest ballplayer I ever saw in person was, largely because my memory is terrible.

I was at that 7th game of the 1975 World Series. Morgan and Yaz, of course. Pete Rose tied the game (I see, reading the game notes) in the 7th inning. I remember the pop out to end the game, but that's about it.

I was at the Vida Blue vs. Sonny Siebert game. Blue was an amazingly dynamic pitcher, but not for long enough to be the greatest pitcher I've seen, as I have been to a couple Pedro games along the way.

I had season tickets to the 1990 Red Sox. Roger Clemens, Lee Smith (whose acquisition prompted the ticket purchase), Wade Boggs. And Joe Morgan!

Oakland had Eck, Rickey, Jose (and Ozzie) Canseco, Dave Stewart, and the immortal Harold Baines. I know I saw them, in the playoffs. (I probably still have my unreturned World Series tickets from that year somewhere.)

It was not an amazing season for AL players, in terms of "greatest ever" folks. There were a few.

Griffey, Jr. was among those I got to see. I've seen ARod. That Ortiz guy once or twice. Got to see Jacoby, who we all thought was going to be great and Mookie for whom we still have great hopes. Nomah.

Easier to tell you the greatest players I ever met, as it is both a smaller number and more memorable (to me). Met Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Sparky Anderson, and Earl Weaver in one evening, along with Derek Sanderson, who had a great swing. Met Bob Uecker and George MacDonald, the King of Baseball, in the same evening as the others.(Billy C was not as big a draw for me ass the first five names.

I had no idea at the time who "the King of Baseball" was. I knew from the Clown Prince and the Sultan of Swat, but the King? Not so much.

I met Teddy Ballgame and I think he's probably the single greatest player I ever met, but I got some quality time in with Eddie Waitkus. And Dave Engle is probably the best baseball player I was ever on the field with as a teammate. No, not too great; he was just the greatest of my dubious baseball career. His first two months of 1984 were amazing, but something happened and he never got back to that.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 469