Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What will be the outcome of Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

Russia will gain eastern Ukraine territories and hold them, as it has Crimea
- 5 (45.5%)
Russia will temporarily gain eastern Ukraine territories before being forced out of them
- 2 (18.2%)
Efforts to confront the Russian forces and get them out of Ukraine will lead to Putin's escalating and attacking NATO countries directly with missiles or other destructive measures
- 0 (0%)
The NATO/World response will be so mild that Putin will go ahead and take the rest of Ukraine
- 3 (27.3%)
Today Ukraine, tomorrow Moldova and who knows where else
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 01, 2022, 01:18:43 PM

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 145

Author Topic: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine  (Read 43473 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #345 on: March 06, 2022, 08:57:49 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep-sheila-jackson-lee-demands-russia-release-wnba-star-no-right-to-hold-ms-griner-period

But she is guilty.

We don't know that the vape cartridges contain hashish oil.  Odd you would not consider that an adversary nation, with Russia's history of using the justice system for political arrests on false charges, might be doing this for political blackmail.

Another clear reason to stay right away from Russia, China, and every other place in the world, basically ....unless there's an absolute guarantee of safety and no political blackmail...beyond one's own country's shores.

After the Bali bombings MK2 in 2005 a man rang my radio and said:

"Slow-learners are still going to Bali"
Did you enjoy the trip?

LOL
Never would I ever set foot in Indonesia anywhere.

Not Indonesia, China, Russia, Vietnam, anywhere else in Asia, South America anywhere, Middle East anywhere...or any 'stan' countries...

There's a whole long list.
Watching "Banged up Abroad" turned me off travel for life.
I'd go to America with mrs bambu as my protector.
That's about all.
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 06, 2022, 10:11:56 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/06/the-more-ukraine-resists-the-greater-the-danger-to-nato-it-should-act-now-to-stop-the-slaughter

While he makes some points, I think it's not good to never mention Russia's huge nuke arsenal in such a commentary piece.  In a world of only conventional weapons, the no-fly zone option might be implemented by now, and I could well imagine the Russian army imploding in due course.  But that's not our world.

I am sure NATO is revising its most recent and comprehensive plan for how to demilitarize Russia pretty damn quick.

Arming Ukraine from the east end of NATO with equipment they are familiar with while replacing the committed hardware with upgrades, focused on jets and artillery, along with all the drones, luggable missiles, and basic supplies Ukraine can carry. This keeps us out of direct war with Russia and makes the Ukrainian forces more dangerous to the occupying Russian military. If Ukraine can beat Russia without NATO directly committing that is among the better outcomes.

If Russia brings a nuclear weapon to bear or cracks a nuclear facility by plan or happenstance, it becomes a different story involving the execution of those aforementioned plans.

What's scary is: how do allies deliver fighter jets to Ukraine without, y'know, flying them into Ukraine airspace?  IIRC Poland is willing to donate some of their MIGs, which involves the possibly provocative act of letting Ukrainian pilots come pick them up from Polish airfields and then fly sorties from there.  So it's unclear if Poland wants to risk Russia seeing them as joining the war.

I think that is it. Pilots will cross the border to pick them up. Russia basically has its whole western force contingent committed in Ukraine already. Short of icbms, there is not much Russia can do to stop the transfer.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 06, 2022, 11:01:49 PM »

The starving Russians can come to Alaska. And if you are starving in Alaska you can simply kill a moose or an elk and then you can have a freezer full of meat, and you can share meat with your neighbors. Plus there is seafood, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 07, 2022, 12:17:21 AM »

And if you are starving in Alaska you can simply kill a moose or an elk

Your ignorance occasionally challenges Bambu's.

Most of the time, if you are starving in Alaska, you won't be able to kill a moose or an elk. You'll be too busy dying from lack of food and shelter.

If you were somehow (a) an immigrant, (b) healthy enough to hunt, but (c) starving, it's going to cost over $2,000 to hunt for a day, including paying the required guide.

Assuming you're in the right part of the year and the state to be hunting them at all.

Fishing is cheaper, but not necessarily better for surviving the elements.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 07, 2022, 01:05:35 AM »

Russia has fired 600 missiles; 95% of amassed combat power now in Ukraine, senior US defense official says

NOW! Now is the time for the US to invade Russia, on a peacekeeping machine to respond to the pleas from their people...
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 07, 2022, 01:38:07 AM »

If Bambu had his ignorance challenged, he certainly never became aware of it.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 07, 2022, 04:25:46 AM »

NEWS
More Voices Join Congress' Calls for Biden to Give Ukraine Fighter Jets

Yes! Nothing makes a mad dictator think twice than a good bombing run.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 07, 2022, 05:10:34 AM »

If Bambu had his ignorance challenged, he certainly never became aware of it.

bambu has never professed to be anything other than a broken down choir boy doing his best. :)
He is learning/has learnt most of what he knows at this point in time from YouTube, Daily Telegraph, no1 radio host and his life experience.
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 07, 2022, 05:20:45 AM »

$2000 a day to go hunting?
Best to spend that money on canned soup, a camping stove and butane cannisters...that's what some van-life folk do.
Canned soup is great, there's beef and vegetable, chicken and sweet corn,  pea and ham etc.
Yummy.

$6000 for 3 days hunting?
Nah, I could feed myself for years on soup for that much.
Go woke, go broke.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 07, 2022, 09:54:58 AM »

It's really small potatoes, but I have observed one aspect of the Russian invasion that has worked to my (and our) benefit.

Holly Martins

« Reply #355 on: March 07, 2022, 10:07:09 AM »

NEWS
More Voices Join Congress' Calls for Biden to Give Ukraine Fighter Jets

Yes! Nothing makes a mad dictator think twice than a good bombing run.

Ukraine pilots would need months of training to fly F16s.  Makes more sense for USA to give Poland the F16s, which they want to upgrade to anyway, and then Poland in turn gives their Soviet era MiGs to Ukraine who already is trained on them.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 07, 2022, 10:21:52 AM »

Well, this will strike at Putin's core and show him the folly of his ways!

"The International Judo Federation announces that Mr. Vladimir Putin and Mr. Arkady Rotenberg have been removed from all positions held in the International Judo Federation," reads the latest one-line statement.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 07, 2022, 12:46:01 PM »

I had no idea that it was so expensive to hunt in Alaska. That is a shame for the poor people who could benefit from the meat.

In Battle Mountain, Nevada, there is an abundance of wild rabbits, and you can hunt and eat the rabbits at any time for free, there is no license or anything needed. When I was a kid we hunted and ate rabbits in Nevada.

And it is going to be so hard for the refugees, I feel so sorry for them. With the corona crisis it has been hard on everyone, and in some places it has been hard for a long time.

The USA is one of the best nations on earth, but even here in the USA it is very hard for people. There are poor people in Kentucky whose families have been in the USA for generations who are living in poverty and who need teachers and helpers to rise. And it is even hard here in California, we have 60,000 homeless people in Los Angeles alone.

My advice is to help everyone at once, help the refugees and immigrants and homeless people all at once, they can go to the same doctors, and they can live in the same apartment complexes, etc, and they can shop at the same grocery stores, etc. All men are created equal, and we can help everyone at once. All people need food and a home. 

And the new refugees can come to help to build Biden's bridges, etc. Whatever we have is open to all men equally, that is what freedom is all about.

I have seen some good people stepping up to help their fellow human beings, and that is what the world needs right now is a bunch of selfless helpers to help other people. And as we rise and are able then we need to help others. We need to organize and help people, like with Kiwanis, and other groups, as well as with every level of government.

We need peace, and we need prosperity, and we need for people to help each other.

If only Putin could go be homeless and hungry for a couple of years so he knows the hell that he is inflicting on millions of people, what a horrible man Putin is.

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 07, 2022, 01:23:45 PM »

Putin is hiding his lover and their kids in Switzerland, one report said at a luxury ski resort.

Kidnap and use as bargaining chips?
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 145