Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Music  (Read 16121 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Music
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 11:48:08 PM »

When you are running down our country you are walking on the fighting side of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIgUKHnwl_8

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 06:00:05 PM »

This guy is one of a group of young blues/boogie/ragtime pianists who are keeping  these genres alive.  Luca is amazing.  Click on his Boogie Woogie Stomp, too. 

https://youtu.be/B2xrLoBwk0E

Also check out the virtuosic Stephanie Trick, who is a fan and gifted interpreter of Jelly Roll Morton, Albert Ammons, Fats Waller, James Johnson, Art Tatum.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 01:09:46 AM »

Patsy Cline

"Tennessee Waltz"

This is stuff you can dance to.

https://youtu.be/kRNdap-ioNM

Salute,

Tony V.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 01:51:17 AM »

Maybe this is well known and I'm just late to the party, but last night a guy showed me a very cool tech feature on my mobile phone.

I had music playing on my phone without headphones, like a radio, when I popped into a shop.  And another customer liked the song (Express Yourself by Charles Wright) pulled out his phone opened wechat -- a messaging and payment app everyone in China uses -- shakes his phone and it listens to maybe 5 seconds of the song I'm playing and it finds the song and downloads it to his phone.

Super-easy to share songs.  I just tried this at home and it listens for 4 or 5 seconds and then takes another 2 or 3 seconds to match it and locate the song.  And this can be any part of a song, not just the opening . 

Not sure how often this will be useful, but pretty impressive.  Blew my mind.  I am going to have to play with this.  And figure out how to make it useful.  I might just start asking people I know what their favorite song or two is, get them to play it, so I can swipe it.  Unfortunately this would be better if I weren't in China.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:55:50 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 03:14:11 AM »

I imagine it won't work for more obscure music -- like some Sun Ra for instance.  And it had trouble with a very slow song (Dark Was the Night by Blind Willie Johnson). 

Edit:  I just tested Dark Was the Night starting from the beginning, and it knew the song after maybe 3 seconds of the opening.  It just had trouble with the slow middle part. 
Well, I tried again with a slow middle part with some humming and it worked fine. 

It seems to be less good on jazz.  A few Mary Lou Williams songs stumped it.  But it did find Machito songs just fine.  And Bennie Moten tunes.  Even one out of two on Al Cooper and the Savoy Sultans.  Not bad.

On to semi-obscure soul, it didn't do well.
Onesy Mack's I Do Believe I'm Losing You not only stumped it but came up with a few false matches, including a nice Brendel classical music piece.  It has no clue who Eldridge Holmes is (recorded for soul for Allen Toussaint).  Most disappointing it couldn't find Earl King's great Hard River to Cross which isn't that old or obscure.  Came up with a movie sound track piece the first time and then The Ladybug Song on a retry. 

Overall, it's really impressive.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 03:25:50 AM »

Besides getting song recs from friends, another use I can think of is when traveling.  I'm heading to Armenia and Azerbaijan soon, and I wonder if it can find their music.  If I hear a tune on the car radio or in a cafĂ©, I could shake my phone and not only know what the tune is and who is doing it, but have a copy on my phone.

When in Romania there was a tune that kept popping up on the radio which had a good little horn riff I liked.  We didn't even listen to the radio that much, and must have heard that tune about 5 times.  But I have no idea what it was.  With this app, I'd know (well, if the app could recognize the tune and had it in its database).  There are plenty of Asian songs here, including one nice song I just got as a mistaken result for Hard River To Cross, but whether it includes Romanian and Caucusian music I have no idea.  Would have been good to try in Israel and Jordan where we heard a fair amount of Egyptian music.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:02:49 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 01:22:19 PM »

Would be really useful if it could search across all genres of music and would work if you sang or whistled a theme or riff into it.  I often have such, that I can't remember who did it, and would find that handy.  There is a site that you can input a few notes on a blank treble clef ledger, and it will search for classical themes.  I have to have my piano or KB with me, to use that, though.  And it's picky about precise time values for each note, you can't just throw in a line of quarter notes unless it happens to be all quarter notes.  And if it's a complex syncopation between bassline and treble, like say the intro to Vipers Drag (Waller), it's useless.  And contrapuntal is out, obviously.

oilcan

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »

RIP Dick Dale, musical pioneer of 20th century rock, king of surf music, father of heavy metal.  Imploder of eardrums.

barton

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 10:03:34 AM »

https://apnews.com/678dcb90ff2344d39348cea55c95cf52

Fun with today's google doodle.  You and JS Bach compose together. 

barton

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 12:52:26 PM »

Or, in Bach's case, decompose.  Ha!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 10:29:58 PM »

Or, in Bach's case, decompose.  Ha!

Fuguet about it!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

oilcan

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »

Help help me rondo!

barton

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2019, 06:59:03 PM »

RIP great jazz, ragtime, blues performer and Panama hat wearer Leon Redbone. 

Please don't talk about him when he's gone.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 03:51:14 PM »

Here is a video of Ariana Grande doing a duet with Andrea Bocelli, it is beautiful...

https://youtu.be/Z8SYtmvEI9U

I would love to hire Ariana to play the lead role in my film "Echo, A Rock and Roll Tragedy." We will see what happens.

Salute,

Tony V.

oilcan

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 01:14:04 PM »

RIP Dr. John

He was in the right place....must have been the wrong time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14