Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Music  (Read 16119 times)

barton

Re: Music
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2019, 10:13:16 AM »

Yarrow was sentenced to three months in jail over a 1969 episode in which the 14-year-old and her 17-year-old sister went to his hotel seeking an autograph and he answered the door naked.   

https://apnews.com/0f5e16818c5b47bc98b9ed57d55f14f4

Yarrow dropped from music festival for acting the way young people did in the sixties, when it was the sixties.  Have social media shaming dogpiles gained too much control over our decisions?   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2019, 11:12:20 AM »

Louis Armstrong Birthday Broadcast all day 4 July.
http://wkcr.streamguys1.com/live.m3u
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2019, 02:36:12 PM »

I have a friend who was in the band Suicidal Tendencies, Jon Nelson, and a guy who played bass, Louiche Mayorga, formed a band named Luicidal, and they did a version of the hit "Institutionalized" in Spanish with a Latina singer, Ceci Bastida, it turned out pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/gGjrXTTtfG8

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2019, 12:47:09 AM »

There is a new Springsteen cinema event coming out in October.

https://youtu.be/nGqjav-KbDU

It looks like it will be something that the Bruce Spingsteen fans are going to love.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

oilcan

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2019, 12:20:42 PM »

With vinyl, you can almost hear what kind of plaster they used on the walls of the concert hall.  Glad to see this form of analog hanging in there.

RIP Ric Ocasek.  Wherever he goes, let the good times roll.  A master of earworms. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2019, 11:38:54 AM »

Coltrane's Birthday.

Coltrane radio all day Monday Spet 23:

http://wkcr.streamguys1.com/live.m3u
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2019, 05:57:35 PM »

IIRC the first jazz I ever heard was Coltrane - my uncle playing a record with Equinox on it.  He also played Miles Davis' Freddie Freeloader a lot.   I felt fortunate, later, to have been exposed to many musical genres early in my life.   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2019, 03:33:03 AM »

I'm a big Jazz fan, but to be honest Coltrane (and Miles) don't do it for me.  From that era, I'm more of a Mingus, Sun Ra, Cannonball Adderley kinda guy.

I like Coltrane when he teams up with Monk.
Some of his ballad work is good too.
As for his latter spiritual period for which he became legendary, I find it all overdone and somewhat grating.  I prefer Pharoah Sanders in a similar vein, or Albert Ayler's ramshackle approach.  Or Sun Ra's cosmic take.

It's kind of odd, because Miles and Coltrane are giants of jazz, I'm a giant jazz fan, but I just don't take to their music at all.  Maybe it has something to do with Mingus-Cannonball having more connections to roots music -- gospel and blues -- and those two plus Sun Ra having a sense of humor.  While Mingus and Ra both hark back to Duke Ellington and swing. 

Maybe Coltrane and Miles are a bit too musiciany and self-serious for my taste.  Maybe I should one day just download a dozen albums form each and plow through and see if I "get" them.  If nothing else I should be able to pull together a one hour playlist for each.  But it's funny how I react to most Miles and most Coltrane.  Like eating Brussels sprouts when I was a kid, something clashes with my sensibility.

Btw, I like Brussels Sprouts now, and they are a terrific vegetable in miso soup, as they don't go mushy and taste good with the miso.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2019, 10:21:58 PM »

I recall hearing some Mingus and liking it.   When I learned piano, I played a fair amount of Ellington...Satin Doll is irresistible, if you play piano and can even halfway knock it out, it makes you sound better than you are.  Sophisticated Lady, A Train, Solitude, Mood Indigo, also favorites, though one of the kids absconded with my anthology, so I need to get it replaced.  I will listen to some Cannonball, because I'm mostly unfamiliar with him and I like stuff that comes from roots music.   The spouse was playing some gospely thing the other day, "Rain Down," or something like that, and I was reminded how great that stuff is, how joyful.   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2019, 02:24:29 AM »

Well, I'll give you some Cannonball recs.
If I have time later I can even set up a drop where you can get the songs.  But it's pretty easy these days to download any music you want.

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (I prefer the 5 minute live version with Cannonball's fine little spoken intro).  A very infectious gospel jazz tune which became a surprising instrumental hit in 1966.

Sack o Woe  & Jive Samba
These two get at the heart of Cannonball, but both are 10 mins long.  Great stuff.

The Happy People -- A Brazilian jazz romp.  Just sounds like huge fun.  I like the whistle as an instrument.

I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water -- a blazing blues romp with Lou Rawls just killing it on vocals.  Dynamite.

Save Your Love for Me -- Nancy Wilson on vocals with minimal backing.  Nancy Wilson was a Cannonball discovery, and this is just pure Nancy.  A gem.

Why Am I Treated So Bad -- in the vein of Mercy, Mercy, Mercy with a similar that blues-gospel organ carrying things along.

Kelly Blue -- low key Cannonball, where you can hear his playing quite well.

Tengo Tango - a jazz tango written by his brother Nat, as cannonball explains in the intro.  Interesting concept. 

African Waltz -- a bit brassy and noisy, but also a lot of fun.

Due to the times a changing, Cannonball often incorporated gospel or soul and blues in with jazz.  Or gave Brazilian-jazz a try.  There's a real joy to his work.  And he's got such a great tone.
He also gave clever and informative intros to his tunes, which helped make them more accessible.  Really Cannonball live captured his work better than in studio,so they even started doing studio albums with a live audience.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2019, 06:01:27 AM »

Mingus (and Sun Ra) have easy ins for someone who likes Ellington, as they performed plenty of homages to Duke.

Pussy Cat Dues is one such Mingus ode to Duke.

Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting is full-throated Mingus jazz but, as the title suggests, with some revival gospel in the mix.

Mingus' version of Moanin' is classic, and keeps a solid blues fell to the proceedings.

Original Faubus Fables is a pretty potent protest song, with a sense of humor.

Eat That Chicken & Oh Lord Please Don't Let Them Drop That Atomic Bomb on Me are both accessible and humorous and pointed political-social barbs.

Better Get Hit in Your Soul (like Fables of Faubus) is a reworking of an earlier tune.  And quintessential Mingus.

The Clown is a semi-improvised jazz-story with Jean Shepard narrating. ("real fine town Pittsburgh") Terrific. 

Otherwise, Tonight at Noon, Hora Decubitus, Haitian Fight Song and Pithecanthropus Erectus are all classic long form Mingus tunes that really get to the heart of what he was.

Others might have different favorites, but those are a dozen classics, and I think the first 8 are quite accessible.  It all depends where you're coming from and what you like.

Since you play piano you should check out Myself When I Am Real, from Mingus' solo piano album.  Beautiful.  (He was a great bassist who dabbled on piano).

I'm pretty surprised that I didn't already have a Mingus playlist formulated.  I quickly threw 15 songs into a setlist, but will need to reorder and fine-tune and add more.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2019, 01:26:04 PM »

I'm bookmarking this page.  You sort of had me at "Brazilian jazz romp."  Thanks, Bo, for all the breadcrumbs to follow.  Yeah, I have no trouble finding the tracks, so this will be fun.

Jazz, generally, is something I heard in early life, ignored too much in the middle, and now I'm finding my way back to it.  Discovering the power of chords, on the piano, really got me back to jazz - the diminished seventh and ninth, modal scales, the 2-5-1 progression in sevenths, etc.  It got me back to the awareness that most pop songs are statements, whereas jazz is an exploration.  And how can exploring not be incredible fun? 

And how will I resist a jazz number called "I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water" ?  Heh.   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2019, 03:38:54 PM »

And how will I resist a jazz number called "I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water" ?  Heh.   

Actually it's an old blues tune dating to the Depression.  But Lou Rawl blazes through it with Cannonball's band providing outstanding backup.  A great version.  The spoken intro is great too.

I think it matters where you're coming from and your point of reference.  If you like Duke, Mingus has some kind of dukish songs.  I recced just one, Pussy Cat Dues.

With more difficult artists, like say Ornette Coleman or Cecil Taylor, usually the best to start is with their first album or two, because you can see where they veered off, and their style isn't fully developed or as detached from the earlier traditions. 

For instance Mingus' first two albums have plenty of covers of jazz standards, such as I'll Remember April.  And hearing how a new musician approaches a familiar tune is also a good way of understanding their approach.

Cannonball does a rendition of Fiddler on the Roof which is pretty solid.  But I like plenty of Cannonball better than that.

My three favorite Mingus albums: Oh Yeah, Ah Um, and The Clown.  I assume most folks don't listen to albums much these days.  But it is a way to hear the art as it used to be and was intended to be heard.  Cannonball didn't make great studio albums, so his catalog lends itself to pilfering and making a playlist.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14