Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 70086 times)

Oilcan

• View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #825 on: August 01, 2024, 06:36:11 PM »

Twisters, though it has its share of cliches, science gaffes, and plot implausibles, is an entertaining ride through some nasty weather.  I dont know if ive used the phrase pet-the-dog moments here - this movie has a couple too many, wherein characters demonstrate their niceness and moral compass by making decisions that IRL would not be the best for helping people or even remotely plausible.  As someone originally from the heart of tornado country (as was my viewing companion), Id say part of the fun was laughing at such moments.  That said, Daisy Edgar-Jones and Glen Powell have great chemistry and wild energy, reminding us that good acting can paper over a fair amount of malarkey. 

So go see it before you watch Neil DeGrasse Tyson or some other pop science guy take a science piss on it.  (and I acknowledge this is a field where we could use more gender equity i.e. science chicks or science nonbinaries)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2024, 06:39:26 PM by Oil Filter »
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 02, 2024, 11:59:52 AM »

Is there a flying cow? Because that was the only real attraction for me of the original.

A.friend of mine had headed the NWS local office. Hated, hated, hated that movie. Do you have any idea how many times everyone would have died? I am glad that only one of my professions ruins movies for me.
A parrot bit me.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 02, 2024, 02:03:26 PM »

Of course there is a flying cow.  Every tornado movie since Wizard of Oz has a flying cow.  Although in Twisters it is a blink and youll miss it moment.

I think Twisters may have upgraded its science somewhat over the original Twister.  What I found hilariously dumb was a couple of scenes where Daisy EJ is telling her chaser team, we have to skip our measurements and experiments and hurry into that town and warn everyone and help them find where to go!  FFS, this is central Oklahoma, and every sentient being in that town knows exactly what to do where to go and what the sirens and ugly clouds mean, having it drilled into their Okie heads via parents, school drills, PSAs, etc from age two on.  The science team would not drive into town and find a street fair going on with people oblivious or running around in confused circles.   They would find everything abandoned and not a soul in sight, all down in cellars or reinforced concrete structures, away from windows and if possible under solid tables.  In southern Kansas, where I lived through dozens of tornado warnings, this was basic life skills 101. 

Im on the pavement

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 04, 2024, 12:51:22 PM »

Wicked little Letters pretty much had me at "starring Jesse Buckley and Olivia Colman".
A parrot bit me.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 04, 2024, 02:45:20 PM »

I am admiring of both Buckley and Colman, especially the latter.  Buckley has that Irish skin and a low-key warmth about her - a sort of stealthy sexiness.  Another Irish actress, Siobhan Cullen (lead in the series, Bodkin) has a similar presence onscreen. 
Im on the pavement

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 05, 2024, 11:34:09 AM »

I am admiring of both Buckley and Colman, especially the latter.  Buckley has that Irish skin and a low-key warmth about her - a sort of stealthy sexiness.  Another Irish actress, Siobhan Cullen (lead in the series, Bodkin) has a similar presence onscreen.
Nothing stealthy in WlL. The decision to flash her bare bum at the police while running away was apparently her own.

The movie was good, amusing, and for a while, at least until it needed to come to a conclusion, a reasonably interesting if obvious exploration of sexism and cultural bigotry on both personal aand professional levels. It also has the quirky local people trope that has slowly lost its fascination for me in the years since Local Hero and what the hell ever happened to Bill Forsyth? I would recommend if only because both Buckley and Colman are having a lot of fun with their roles and watching talented actors having fun with their roles can elevate otherwise run of the mill stuff. Anjana Vasan as "Woman Police Officer Moss" was also very good, especially reactively.

It was, apparently, a real story, though I suspect West Sussex's first female police officer was not also East Asian.

It did make me wonder why movies have such a difficult time showing faith as anything other than a repressive force concealing cruelty or repressing emotions (it is both here, though watching Colman fight against it in her facial expressions and in the end giving it a toss is one of the chief pleasures of the movie, right after JB's bum) or something damn near sainthood, depending on the target audience.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 11:36:07 AM by Hairy Lime »
A parrot bit me.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 07, 2024, 09:57:47 AM »

Apparently Wicked LL is not available on Nflix regular plan.  It shows the button for the film but you have to sign up for the premium plan to watch. 

Your obs on the cinematic treatment of faith seems pertinent to the miniseries Midnight Mass. 
Im on the pavement

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 07, 2024, 11:36:01 AM »

Apparently Wicked LL is not available on Nflix regular plan.  It shows the button for the film but you have to sign up for the premium plan to watch. 

Your obs on the cinematic treatment of faith seems pertinent to the miniseries Midnight Mass.
I was not aware I had a premium plan. I feel elite.
A parrot bit me.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 07, 2024, 08:15:45 PM »

You are elite.  Why do you want to destroy America?

(The library has ordered a Blu-ray, so am on the list.)

IIRC, BTW, Bill Forsyth got pretty disgruntled with the Hollywood system and stepped away to do something else at the end of the nineties. 
Im on the pavement

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 15, 2024, 12:14:01 PM »

Drink, perhaps.
Im on the pavement

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 27, 2024, 02:21:06 AM »

Steve Martin is great. I remember when I saw "The Jerk" for the first time in a theatre on Lancaster Blvd from my youth that is long gone now. I was about 12 years old, and "The Jerk" was a real treat, I had been a fan of Steve Martin since Saturday Night Live, and we had his comedy album featuring King Tut and stuff.

They do not make movies like "The Jerk" anymore, it seems like they just fight for 2 hours, I watched a Keanu Reeves movie where all he did was just fight the whole time, it was horrible, I would much rather watch a Steve Martin movie. If I owned Universal Studios then I would hire Steve Martin to help us make movies and television shows, he has that magic talent.

Of note, a new movie is in the works about Queen Farah Pahlavi of Iran, I hope the movie starts a movement in the direction of improved human rights and freedom, and new leadership in Iran, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2024, 02:25:31 AM by FlyingVProd »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 27, 2024, 08:25:57 AM »

I watched a Keanu Reeves movie ... it was horrible

Salute,

Tony V.
This movie review brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 27, 2024, 08:32:38 AM »

I think Keanu Reeves and Squinty McPigface should make all their movies together so that the number of movies i avoid can be cut in half.
A parrot bit me.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 27, 2024, 10:29:16 AM »

I would carve out a few exceptions where Keanu managed to sign onto projects where he could bask in the general glow of good costars and script.  I enjoyed Speed and The Lake House, both of which he pairs up with Sandra Bullock.  The first Matrix was okay, though I admit I liked the supporting cast more than Reeves.  Reeves could have easiily been replaced in that, with any number of able-bodied action actors.

Squ-, Zellweger was fine in Cold Mountain - show me where im wrong on that. 

Pop quiz...

Cold Mountain stars:

A.  Michael Fassbender
B.  Jude Law

Im on the pavement

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 27, 2024, 10:43:02 AM »

I would carve out a few exceptions where Keanu managed to sign onto projects where he could bask in the general glow of good costars and script.  I enjoyed Speed and The Lake House, both of which he pairs up with Sandra Bullock.  The first Matrix was okay, though I admit I liked the supporting cast more than Reeves.  Reeves could have easiily been replaced in that, with any number of able-bodied action actors.
True, Reeves has been the worst part of some decent movies.

Squ-, Zellweger was fine in Cold Mountain - show me where im wrong on that. 

Pop quiz...

Cold Mountain stars:

A.  Michael Fassbender
B.  Jude Law
Oh fuck. Can I use imdb? No? Michael J Lawbender. That is what I am going with.
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57