Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1873547 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #12271 on: April 06, 2019, 09:32:05 AM »

Quote from: REDSTATEWARD

It should be noted that the " hate group" designation came from the Southern Poverty Law Center who now stands exposed as sexist demagogues after firing its founder and and Director amid  sexual harassment attribute to its senior staff.

If your organization fires all its sexual harassers, how would that make sexist demagogues of those remaining??   Sorry, logic whiplash! (rubs neck)

barton

« Reply #12272 on: April 06, 2019, 09:33:53 AM »

BBC offers unfortunate studio lighting to Tory MP, Jacob Rees Mogg...

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12273 on: April 06, 2019, 11:40:05 AM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/437385-gop-base-wakes-up-in-wisconsin

Special election in April after midterms... bad for the Wisconsin justice system but to spin this as a defeat is off base.

Reading the turnout numbers, I think I disagree.

Much of the analysis isn’t considering the context.

Judicial election in an off year special election. GOP bread and butter.

What is the GOP electoral promise? They promise to cut taxes, appoint judges and implement policies to hurt the people you hate because even if you’re suffering now you’ll be raptured to paradise.

Controlling judiciary is how they promise to remain in control even when they get voted out of office.

To them it is a real big fucking deal and they poured a lot of resources into the beet red counties and increased their turnout to squeak out a maybe recount?

This might not be over just yet...

It might not be over, for sure.

But my point is that both the Dems and the GOP saw increases in voting for this Spring special election, not the usual miniscule voter pool.

That's why I don't think this event can be discounted.

You’re right. It cannot be discounted. The Democrat almost prevailed in a race where the judiciary is not part of the be all to end all of the foremost concerns of folks in Milwaukee and that is unfortunate. When I was trying to convince friends in 2016 I would plead, “vote for the Supreme Court!” Um.

This is bad for Wisconsin on a local level... on a national level? Not so much.
Quite the contrary.  The state GOP was meek in support of its candidate who was labeled anti-gay, etc.  It took a lot of work by outside groups to inform voters of the similarity of the democrat smear of Brett Kavanaugh to the the Wisconsin judicial contest.
The left vilified GOP candidate Brian Hagedorn  for giving speeches to the “hate group” Alliance Defending Freedom, which represented Colorado’s cake-baker in a winning appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. Liberals also dug up poorly-phrased comments he made about same-sex marriage while in law school. It should be noted that the " hate group" designation came from the Southern Poverty Law Center who now stands exposed as sexist demagogues after firing its founder and and Director amid  sexual harassment attribute to its senior staff.

Targeted mailings by groups outside Wisconsin had a simple message:

“They did it against Justice [Brett] Kavanaugh,. Now, the same radical out-of-state special interest groups that are spending millions pushing Liberal Lisa Neubauer are spreading false attacks against conservative, rule of law Judge Brian Hagedorn.”

The GOP went all in on a judicial position because the GOP is all about electing judges... what is contrary to what I said?

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12274 on: April 06, 2019, 12:43:03 PM »

Special election in April after midterms... bad for the Wisconsin justice system but to spin this as a defeat is off base.

What is the GOP electoral promise? They promise to cut taxes, appoint judges and implement policies to hurt the people you hate because even if you’re suffering now you’ll be raptured to paradise.

Controlling judiciary is how they promise to remain in control even when they get voted out of office.

To them it is a real big fucking deal and they poured a lot of resources into the beet red counties and increased their turnout to squeak out a maybe recount?

But my point is that both the Dems and the GOP saw increases in voting for this Spring special election, not the usual miniscule voter pool.

You’re right. It cannot be discounted. The Democrat almost prevailed in a race where the judiciary is not part of the be all to end all of the foremost concerns of folks in Milwaukee and that is unfortunate. When I was trying to convince friends in 2016 I would plead, “vote for the Supreme Court!” Um.

Quite the contrary.  The state GOP was meek in support of its candidate who was labeled anti-gay, etc.  It took a lot of work by outside groups to inform voters of the similarity of the democrat smear of Brett Kavanaugh to the the Wisconsin judicial contest.
The left vilified GOP candidate Brian Hagedorn  for giving speeches to the “hate group” Alliance Defending Freedom, which represented Colorado’s cake-baker in a winning appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. Liberals also dug up poorly-phrased comments he made about same-sex marriage while in law school. It should be noted that the " hate group" designation came from the Southern Poverty Law Center who now stands exposed as sexist demagogues after firing its founder and and Director amid  sexual harassment attribute to its senior staff.

“They did it against Justice [Brett] Kavanaugh,. Now, the same radical out-of-state special interest groups that are spending millions pushing Liberal Lisa Neubauer are spreading false attacks against conservative, rule of law Judge Brian Hagedorn.”

The GOP went all in on a judicial position because the GOP is all about electing judges... what is contrary to what I said?
The Wisconsin GOP did NOT go all out in the Supreme Court Race which was pointed out in the article YOU cited.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 12:52:26 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12275 on: April 06, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »

The Wisconsin GOP did NOT go all out is the Supreme Court Race which was pointed out in the article YOU cited.

“...more than $1 million in late spending from the Republican State Leadership Committee poured INTO Wisconsin in the final weeks. The RSLC targeted Republican voters who often sat out low-turnout spring elections, sending 1.2 million text messages and running digital ads.

Four mailers landed on Republican doorsteps in Waukesha, Ozaukee and Washington counties — the so-called WOW counties that ring Milwaukee, where Republicans need to drive up turnout to succeed statewide.”

What is your argument against what I said? The GOP poured resources into Wisconsin to win a Judiciary seat. I don’t care what the local GOP did or didn’t do. The National GOP went all in for that seat because remaking the judiciary on all levels has been the GOP and Federalist Society game plan.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12276 on: April 06, 2019, 01:38:19 PM »

The Wisconsin GOP did NOT go all out is the Supreme Court Race which was pointed out in the article YOU cited.

“...more than $1 million in late spending from the Republican State Leadership Committee poured INTO Wisconsin in the final weeks. The RSLC targeted Republican voters who often sat out low-turnout spring elections, sending 1.2 million text messages and running digital ads.

Four mailers landed on Republican doorsteps in Waukesha, Ozaukee and Washington counties — the so-called WOW counties that ring Milwaukee, where Republicans need to drive up turnout to succeed statewide.”

What is your argument against what I said? The GOP poured resources into Wisconsin to win a Judiciary seat. I don’t care what the local GOP did or didn’t do. The National GOP went all in for that seat because remaking the judiciary on all levels has been the GOP and Federalist Society game plan.
Try to be consistent.  You are o-3 so far.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12277 on: April 06, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »

Wayminit!

Isn’t 0-3 being consistent?

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #12278 on: April 06, 2019, 04:26:08 PM »

A horror movie would be fun to make, but I really want to do love stories.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #12279 on: April 06, 2019, 04:27:06 PM »

Trump is saying that the USA is full, and that there is not any room for new immigrants, but he is wrong, we have plenty of room.

Texas is HUGE, you can fit the population of the whole world in Texas alone. There is plenty of room in Texas.

And Nevada has a lot of room; Reno, Las Vegas, Elko, and Carson City, have a lot of open space.

There is a lot of room in the USA.

Certainly California, New York, and Florida, are full of people, and are expensive, but we have many other states where land is cheap and plentiful.

Salute,

Tony V.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12280 on: April 06, 2019, 04:45:54 PM »

Wayminit!

Isn’t 0-3 being consistent?
Shucks.
You are right.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #12281 on: April 06, 2019, 05:06:41 PM »

Trump is saying that the USA is full, and that there is not any room for new immigrants, but he is wrong, we have plenty of room.

Texas is HUGE, you can fit the population of the whole world in Texas alone. There is plenty of room in Texas.

And Nevada has a lot of room; Reno, Las Vegas, Elko, and Carson City, have a lot of open space.

Certainly California, New York, and Florida, are full of people, and are expensive, but we have many other states where land is cheap and plentiful.

Salute,

Tony V.

Here is a 10 acre lot for sale in Battle Mountain, Nevada, for $19,000.00, that is less than two grand per acre.

http://tinyurl.com/Battle-Mountain-Nevada

The USA has a lot of wide open cheap land.

Salute,

Tony V.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12283 on: April 06, 2019, 06:13:45 PM »

Salute,

Tony V.

New York state has plenty of room, too, if not so much as Texas, Montana, or the Dakotas.

But you are misunderstanding what he's saying. "I don't want anybody from south of the US border!"
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #12284 on: April 06, 2019, 06:54:58 PM »

Salute,

Tony V.

Here is a 10 acre lot for sale in Battle Mountain, Nevada, for $19,000.00, that is less than two grand per acre.

http://tinyurl.com/Battle-Mountain-Nevada

The USA has a lot of wide open cheap land.

Salute,

Tony V.

Trouble is...immigrants want to live in the big cities where they can rent/buy established properties.
Big cities...where the good jobs are...where there is city lifestyle.
Any well-paying jobs going in Battle Mountain Nevada for computer programmers/web designers, media types?
Big cities, that are now bursting at the seams.
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 4288