Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1873138 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #1530 on: August 27, 2018, 08:32:58 PM »

Trump makes no comment today on McCain, given three opportunities to do so.

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1034169803060207618

Trump statement on McCain and proclamation to fly flag at half mast

Day late and a dollar short, after having had the flag raised back up.

His statement would have been better without his first statement, which makes it clear that politics and the feeling of personal slight were behind his retaliatory raising of the flag.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/inhofe-mccain-partially-to-blame-trump-flag.html

In case we were unsure, Inhofe blames McCain, in part, because of the sin of disagreeing with Trump and being somehow rude, unlike Perfect Donny.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 27, 2018, 08:39:42 PM »

My feeling is that if someone makes a discernible argument, I will try to test it out.  Kid seemed to be saying, essentially, "Voting is an important civic duty and we should all leap whatever hurdles are presented to do that duty."  If you separate that statement from the reality of voter suppression, and the previous hurdles I mentioned, you can appear to be doing some handsome Virtue Signalling.  But appeals to civic duty and personal responsibility are rather suspect when they come from those who are privileged by a system that makes it easy for them to do said duty, and harder for minorities. 
There is no reality of voter suppression. Voting never has been easier in most places.
If Voter ID laws burden the poor why, in 2016, did only blacks turnout in fewer numbers than 2012? ( and at a uniform rate across the country regardless of voter ID laws).

Negative marketing by GOP and Russians against HRC.

“Super Predators” was very effective...
Sure, uh.huh. The fact that black voters surged at the polls because of Obama had no bearing in black turnout reverting to 2004 numbers when he was not on the 2016 ballot. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:45:40 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1532 on: August 27, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »

Trump makes no comment today on McCain, given three opportunities to do so.

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1034169803060207618

Trump statement on McCain and proclamation to fly flag at half mast

Day late and a dollar short, after having had the flag raised back up.

His statement would have been better without his first statement, which makes it clear that politics and the feeling of personal slight were behind his retaliatory raising of the flag.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/inhofe-mccain-partially-to-blame-trump-flag.html

In case we were unsure, Inhofe blames McCain, in part, because of the sin of disagreeing with Trump and being somehow rude, unlike Perfect Donny.

Isn’t Inhofe the guy who brought a snowball into the Senate in winter to dismiss global warming?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 27, 2018, 08:42:27 PM »

A recent study on Voter ID laws found

Specifically, they found “that strict photo identification laws have a differentially negative impact on the turnout of Hispanics, Blacks, and mixed-race Americans in primaries and general elections.”

In an article in the Washington Post (referenced inthe Atlantic article) the authors summarized their conclusion:

By instituting strict voter ID laws, states can alter the electorate and shift outcomes toward those on the right. Where these laws are enacted, the influence of Democrats and liberals wanes and the power of Republicans grows. Unsurprisingly, these strict ID laws are passed almost exclusively by Republican legislatures.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/how-voter-id-laws-discriminate-study/517218/
But the polls, Bank! 80% in favor!!!

And the Germans!

Red appears more than happy to let angry villagers with pitchforks craft and carry certain laws rather than being carefully vetted for fairness, their impact on society and whether they may be lawful under the Constitution.

Studies and facts be damned!

And don't talk to me of pitchfork control

harrumph!

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: August 27, 2018, 08:44:23 PM »

Do you ever read what anybody else posts?
About what?
So I see we're going in circles. You can provide no reason for the spate of ID laws beyond your appeal to their alleged popularity. Have a nice night Red.
Alleged?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1535 on: August 27, 2018, 08:50:12 PM »

My feeling is that if someone makes a discernible argument, I will try to test it out.  Kid seemed to be saying, essentially, "Voting is an important civic duty and we should all leap whatever hurdles are presented to do that duty."  If you separate that statement from the reality of voter suppression, and the previous hurdles I mentioned, you can appear to be doing some handsome Virtue Signalling.  But appeals to civic duty and personal responsibility are rather suspect when they come from those who are privileged by a system that makes it easy for them to do said duty, and harder for minorities. 
There is no reality of voter suppression. Voting never has been easier in most places.
If Voter ID laws burden the poor why, in 2016, did only blacks turnout in fewer numbers than 2012? ( and at a uniform rate across the country regardless of voter ID laws).

Sure, uh.huh. The fact that black voters surged at the polls because of Obama had no bearing in black turnout reverting to 2004.

Ask Roy Moore and Ed Gillespie about the black vote.

Meanwhile this has nothing to with the price of tea in China.

Voter ID is a bullshit tactic to make it hard for voters who don’t vote Republican.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: August 27, 2018, 08:59:06 PM »

Sure, uh.huh. The fact that black voters surged at the polls because of Obama had no bearing in black turnout reverting to 2004.

Voter ID is a bullshit tactic to make it hard for voters who don’t vote Republican.
Sez you. With no proof. .

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: August 27, 2018, 09:06:06 PM »

No proof except those quotes from myriad Republican politicians explaining the precise reason for ID laws. For approximately the 12,465,233rd time since these discussions began.Why enact these laws?

But you have your chance. Again. Why are ID laws needed?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:07:42 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1538 on: August 27, 2018, 09:15:19 PM »

Did you read the abstract I posted earlier? I mean you did skip out of your present bullshit spew to go back to this afternoon.

I could post example after example demonstrating Voter ID laws are a weapon, but it won’t make a difference. So for the lurkers in this forum, I present:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOT1bRYdK8

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: August 27, 2018, 09:24:15 PM »

Did you read the abstract I posted earlier? I mean you did skip out of your present bullshit spew to go back to this afternoon.
I read it. 4 year old something with no attribution.

I could post example after example demonstrating Voter ID laws are a weapon,
but it won’t make a difference.

No, you can’t.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: August 27, 2018, 09:28:20 PM »

No proof except those quotes from myriad Republican politicians explaining the precise reason for ID laws. For approximately the 12,465,233rd time since these discussions began.Why enact these laws?

A little late since that ship has sailed over 30 times.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: August 27, 2018, 09:29:05 PM »

John McCain is a war hero to me.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: August 27, 2018, 09:31:48 PM »

A little late since that ship has sailed over 30 times.
So back to your original answer: SCOREBOARD. No reason needed.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: August 27, 2018, 09:37:05 PM »

Oh, Red. You don't want proof. You don't accept proof. You pretend it never existed, just like now.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2017/05/opinion-analysis-court-strikes-n-c-districts-racial-gerrymandering-challenge/
https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/17-1364.html

Concluded and then when the NC GOP put forth their new one, struck down again for the same reason: racial gerrymandering.

Or perhaps...
http://insight-us.org/fair_places.html
NC's electoral apartheid.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 4288