Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1379 1380 [1381] 1382 1383 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1603997 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #20700 on: September 23, 2019, 02:18:16 PM »

The reasoning from the WH is so specious that I expect an opinion any day that current law is only applicable to electric utilities.   

I appreciate Kasich weighing in, but it'd be nice if someone in the party without "former" in front of their official title would emit a small whimper or squeak now and then.  I guess Romney is the only one so far who's voiced a real protest.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #20701 on: September 23, 2019, 02:24:21 PM »

All this hemming and hawing about how to release the transcript of Trump’s conversation with the President of Ukraine…yeah, it’s a real pickle, you don’t want foreign leaders to have conversations with our President thinking there is a possibility their every word could be made public.  A real quandary, that.

If only there was a mechanism in place, that is current law that would dictate how a whistleblower complaint re: sensitive intelligence info can be passed to Congress for their review. Something like having an inspector general review the complaint first to ensure that it is credible and urgent (could even be one that the President himself put in place) and then if so, hand it off to the Intelligence Committee who can review the complaint on the merits without making any of the details public.

But for some reason the Trump Administration dismisses this process which is again current law.   I wonder if that might be because there is more to the complaint than that one conversation.  Hmmm…

Weak

Lol. Tell us, kiidcarter8, why is it you think the administration is not following current law which dictates the process by which a whistleblower complaint that has been reviewed by an IG (in this case, one put in place by Trump) and called urgent and credible can be transferred to the body that is empowered by the Constitution to evaluate it?

You quote Trump’s own characterization of the phone call here like it closes the matter, and can’t imagine any possibility that the characterization is untrue or that there might be more to the story than he is letting on but you think I am the weak one?

Lol.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #20702 on: September 23, 2019, 02:24:51 PM »

Yeah, pointing out the Trump adminiistration is violating existing black letter law is weak. The law is for.cowards!

In the context I am familiar with, Trump's comments about the whistleblower would be a clear case of retaliation. Not.that I expect kid and the rest.of the 5th Avenue Shooting Brigade to care. It is only the law.

Let me ask - should all "whistle blower" statements/complaints be handled equally?  Dont you think the precedent setting here may be problematic?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #20703 on: September 23, 2019, 02:27:18 PM »

The reasoning from the WH is so specious that I expect an opinion any day that current law is only applicable to electric utilities.   

I appreciate Kasich weighing in, but it'd be nice if someone in the party without "former" in front of their official title would emit a small whimper or squeak now and then.  I guess Romney is the only one so far who's voiced a real protest.

Romney sits on the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.  he can do more than call the call "troubling in the extreme."  He can call for real efforts to get to the bottom of it.  He doesn't want to go there.  For reasons that are obvious to anyone not bathing daily in the Trumpist Kool-aid.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #20704 on: September 23, 2019, 02:30:05 PM »

Yeah, pointing out the Trump adminiistration is violating existing black letter law is weak. The law is for.cowards!

In the context I am familiar with, Trump's comments about the whistleblower would be a clear case of retaliation. Not.that I expect kid and the rest.of the 5th Avenue Shooting Brigade to care. It is only the law.

Let me ask - should all "whistle blower" statements/complaints be handled equally?  Dont you think the precedent setting here may be problematic?

Again...get your news from something other than FOX.  Or read the posts here, that have explained this repeatedly; the complaint was reviewed by an Inspector General put in place by Trump to determine if it was credible and urgent enough to have Congress review.  It passed that threshold.

If the Trump Administration has a problem with the "precedent" set by following current law, they can change current law.  The can not (or should not) be able to just ignore it.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20705 on: September 23, 2019, 03:28:20 PM »

They are not handled equally. There is a statute that defines whether or not a complaint goes to Congress, and the requirements of that statute are met here. For reasons that at this point must be obvious to all sentient beings, the statute does not allow for a President to interfere with that process. Trump is violating that statute. Don't you think the precedent setting here might be problematic?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #20706 on: September 23, 2019, 04:10:13 PM »

Trump wants the tape released

But again - not a good idea at all fpr the country - and wont happen

You have no doubt as  to the credibility of this "whistleblower?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #20707 on: September 23, 2019, 04:11:47 PM »

Again...get your news from something other than FOX.

What did I get from Fox?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #20708 on: September 23, 2019, 04:19:22 PM »

He does, I'm sure.  Just like he wanted to sit and answer questions from Mueller in person.

Maybe it isn't.  So follow the law, which does not require the transcript of the call be released, but does require the whistle-blower complaint be reviewed by Congress.  Why won't Trump do that?

On what basis should we doubt the credibility of the whistle-blower?

Particularly as apparently a Trump appointee whose job it is to judge that credibility found the whistle-blower to be credible?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #20709 on: September 23, 2019, 04:19:56 PM »

What did I get from Fox?

It is what you are not getting from FOX.  Basic information on the issue that keeps you from asking uninformed questions.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #20710 on: September 23, 2019, 04:31:15 PM »

There is a statute that defines whether or not a complaint goes to Congress, and the requirements of that statute are met here.
The statute covers members of the Intelligence Committee, not the President.
The statute has no bearing on the real issue, did Trump abuse his presidential powers?
He tweets(again) it is all a hoax pushed by the fake news and the democrats!
Adam Schiff cries (again) Impeachable! 
Point is the matter is in the hands of Congress and another political kerfuffle is on.
One additional addition to the “soup” this time is the presence of Joe Biden in the mix.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:41:11 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #20711 on: September 23, 2019, 04:33:56 PM »

REDSTATEWARD's spin arrived from the WSJ, and unsurprisingly, its wrong.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #20712 on: September 23, 2019, 04:52:35 PM »

REDSTATEWARD's spin arrived from the WSJ, and unsurprisingly, its wrong.
Glad to see you have upgraded your sources. Now broaden them  beyond the WSJ opinion pages.
But, as I said, the statute is a moot issue.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #20713 on: September 23, 2019, 05:03:13 PM »

What did I get from Fox?

It is what you are not getting from FOX.  Basic information on the issue that keeps you from asking uninformed questions.

I watch them all, as I have stated here many times

Big week in NY - but you all want to focus on frivolous bits of anti-Trump.

Sad,

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20714 on: September 23, 2019, 05:20:32 PM »

Not the tape. Release the complaint to Congress as required by law. Trump can say he wants the tape released all he wants. Until he complies with the law, I see no reason to believe him.
Which Trump full well knows. That is why he says he wants to release the tape.

The IG found him of her credible and.the allegation supported. Trump lies and lies about his lies. Follow the law and send the complaint to Congress.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.
Pages: 1 ... 1379 1380 [1381] 1382 1383 ... 4288