Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2835 2836 [2837] 2838 2839 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1596542 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42540 on: July 13, 2020, 11:05:19 AM »

One of the constant complaints about lockdown has been that more people would die of the lockdown than of the disease.

There's been no evidence to support the claim, but it's damned hard to prove it can't be true, either.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/421085/fewer-deaths-in-lockdown-than-previous-year?fbclid=IwAR3xF9E1Yl6Gk9c_HwWCcwLuyhQMnxx1r_VOrtJY_uGlYGVggeIRAPFiASA

NZ ran a tighter lockdown than most of our states managed. They saw fewer deaths than in the prior year.

Ah, I didn't see that you were pointing to a link in bodiddley's response.  Well, that certainly supports my thinking that we have not seen a significant number of "lockdown deaths" let alone more of them.

There isn't a country on the globe that has locked down and controlled the virus that has regretted it.  Granted, most of those countries have robust social safety nets including universal healthcare, but I don't think that helps the people making this argument.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42541 on: July 13, 2020, 11:13:42 AM »

I posted about the 1st Amendment, UNO,

You missed it.

But... you claim I am pedantic and petulant, while you spent days on your mission to make us say what you wanted us to say how you wanted us to say it.

Pot, meet kettle.

p.s. I know I'm pedantic. Do you recognize it in yourself?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #42542 on: July 13, 2020, 11:43:30 AM »

NYT: The Trump administration lifted a ban on sales of silencers to private overseas buyers that was intended to protect U.S. troops from ambushes. The change was championed by a lawyer for the president who had worked for a firearms trade group.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/13/us/trump-gun-silencer-exports.html?smid=tw-share

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42543 on: July 13, 2020, 12:40:30 PM »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #42544 on: July 13, 2020, 12:49:50 PM »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42545 on: July 13, 2020, 12:53:32 PM »

Thought this might be interesting to some of us. It's a flu tracker for Australia and New Zealand, as they are in their flu season, now.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42547 on: July 13, 2020, 01:10:35 PM »

This whole debate should be run through our forums Constitutional scholar who will hopefully discuss in detail the Government Speech Doctrine.

I hope this isn't embarrassing,  but I'm a bit in awe of how you will counter a string of long-winded posts with one sentence that goes right to the heart of the matter while neatly puncturing a giant balloon of verbiage.   

I looked up the GSD.  Thanks,  very illuminating.  Uno has his answer,  if he cares to look it up.   And,  as Bo pointed out,  if the government speech isn't suggesting something illegal, or violating the establishment clause,  then what is not expressly forbidden is allowed.

FINALLY!!!AN answer. And one without snark attached.

Thank you.

Can't wait to see which state creates the first BLM license plate.

And there it is.
There what is?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #42548 on: July 13, 2020, 01:12:10 PM »

NYT: The Trump administration lifted a ban on sales of silencers to private overseas buyers that was intended to protect U.S. troops from ambushes. The change was championed by a lawyer for the president who had worked for a firearms trade group.

45's really like a comic book villain.  His lack of self-awareness, of the most basic optics, seems to be something that his hardcore followers see as not a bug, but a feature.   

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42549 on: July 13, 2020, 01:12:31 PM »

Another longer commentary vis-a-vis kids' going back to school.

A therapist’s perspective has been absent regarding children’s mental health in the debate to open schools or not. The writer is a LCMFT RPT CFPT in Maryland.
------------------‐-----------------------‐
As a child and family therapist, I strongly disagree with the arguments that "schools should reopen for children's emotional health". No version of this situation is good for children's mental well-being, so we are choosing between bad situations here.

Calls to open up schools are shorted sighted and illogical. Here are some things bad for emotional health about reopening:

- Children experiencing so much more death of their loved ones, friend's loved ones, and community members.
- Having to obey rigid and developmentally inappropriate behavioral expectations to maintain social distancing for hours at a time.
- Restricting their engagement with their peers even though those peers are right in front of them.
- Having to constantly actively participate in cleaning rituals that keep their community trauma present with them
- Somehow having to have the executive functioning within all of this to meet educational standards and possibly experiencing overwhelm, shame, and self-doubt when they reasonably can't
- Being unable to receive age appropriate comfort from teachers and staff when dysregulated from all of this, thereby experiencing attachment injuries daily.
- Lack of any predictability as COVID takes staff members for weeks at a time with no warning while children wonder if that staff will die as well as the looming threat of going to back into quarantine any random day

Returning to school as things are now is NOT better for children's mental health.

It is a complete rationalization by people who are uncomfortable with children not engaging in productivity culture.

The majority of schooling NEEDS to stay virtual to protect our children and teachers and to make room for the safe return of the populations of students who actually do need to be in person.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #42550 on: July 13, 2020, 01:13:02 PM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5eff6a62c5b6acab28500fd6

Washington has an NFL team. That team is not the redskins. New name and logo TBD.

Keep marching.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #42551 on: July 13, 2020, 01:15:56 PM »

Sending children to die on the front lines of his Great policy Failure is among the last thing a bunkered dictator does before the suicide pact or spider hole finale.

Richard P. Feynman

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #42552 on: July 13, 2020, 01:18:05 PM »

It seems that Kid believes that contracting Covid19 is a mere accident.  A happenstance, if you will.

Maybe people who get it, haven't prayed enough.  I don't know.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42553 on: July 13, 2020, 01:18:49 PM »

http://dailykos.com/stories/2020/7/12/1960184/-In-Desperation-Trump-s-Floundering-Campaign-Resorts-to-THREATENING-Donors

Dead traitors walking.

The emails from the Democrats are no better.

"Josh... we refuse to believe this:

Democrats are moments away from losing to Mitch Mcconnell…
"

We need $125,599 by TUESDAY or we’ll LOSE the Kentucky Senate Race. Can you send as little as $5 RIGHT NOW?

Etc.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42554 on: July 13, 2020, 01:20:26 PM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5eff6a62c5b6acab28500fd6

Washington has an NFL team. That team is not the redskins. New name and logo TBD.

Keep marching.

Sunday: "On Monday, the Washington Redskins are going to announce that they are changing their name and logo."
Monday: "The Washington Redskins have announced that they are changing their name and logo."

Really?!
Pages: 1 ... 2835 2836 [2837] 2838 2839 ... 4288