Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3045 3046 [3047] 3048 3049 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583679 times)

luee

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #45690 on: August 02, 2020, 09:11:27 AM »

---COVID-19 and school openings are a dangerous mix. Don't force us students to risk it.
Students know that our desire for a traditional high school experience is outweighed by the common good. Why doesn’t our government?---

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/covid-19-school-openings-are-dangerous-mix-don-t-force-ncna1235536

Biggest disaster ever is looming.

---Despite students’ concerns, some states are starting to act on President Donald Trump’s suggestions. In Jefferson, Georgia, for instance, schools are opening in-person without requiring students and teachers wear masks, practically guaranteeing the spread of the coronavirus. They’re doing this notwithstanding vocal complaints from much of the student body and nationwide polls showing Americans are still concerned about reopening schools.---
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:41:20 AM by luee »
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #45691 on: August 02, 2020, 09:45:06 AM »

What is the upside for either political party regarding school opening? 
Will people really be more likely to vote for Trump if the schools are open?
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #45692 on: August 02, 2020, 10:01:03 AM »

I think Trump believes that the more things LOOK like normal the more likely people are to vote for him because of all his wonderful "accomplishments" and "successes" in office.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45693 on: August 02, 2020, 10:08:23 AM »

Yank's "normalcy" argument is one piece of it.

But I think he may truly believe that if people can get back to work because their kids are in school, the economy will (more) rapidly rebound, and therefore unemployment will drop and the economy will boom, just like he has always said it would.

And since he has little to no discernment between what he believes and what is the truth, his path becomes certain and any and all obstacles to the path that he KNOWS is the truth, then, become folks actively working against him and therefore against everybody, since what is good for him is what he thinks is therefore good for the world.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:12:51 AM by Echo4 »

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45694 on: August 02, 2020, 10:11:23 AM »

However school openings go, Trump will take credit for any success and blame "Democratic run cities and states" and teachers' unions for any failures.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45695 on: August 02, 2020, 10:12:09 AM »

The most distinguishing characteristic of the current national Republican Party is cowardice . . . the party demands dishonesty as a trait of membership.”

“If the Republican Party had been in charge in 1776, we’d all still be celebrating the queen’s birthday.”

“One of the hallmarks of the Trump era is the alacrity with which intelligent people embrace stupidity.”

You might imagine these are the words of a partisan Democrat or a political columnist for a large metropolitan daily.

But they come from “It Was All A Lie,” a new book by Stuart Stevens, a political consultant who has spent much of this adult life trying to get Republicans elected to office, including a number of presidential candidates.

This is from the Boston Globe, and might be behind a paywall. Not sure how they are running at the moment.

The upshot:
For Stevens, that surrender hardly comes as a surprise. The GOP is, at its heart, a “white grievance party,” he writes. And with Trump’s victory in 2016, it could “breathe a sigh of relief that no longer did it need to pretend that it must reach out more to nonwhite voters.”

In other words, for all that he talks about the surrender to Trump, it was only a surrender to be allowed to express what the parry as a whole believed all the way along.

(AKA what we've been saying about the GOP for many years.)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/01/opinion/it-was-all-lie/?event=event25&fbclid=IwAR3a6jwrWy0OkNTJ-C6nl4V-EWTKDShrYnYyAj728dKyZg9jMhhh1aMb0Zs

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45696 on: August 02, 2020, 10:18:15 AM »

---COVID-19 and school openings are a dangerous mix. Don't force us students to risk it.
Students know that our desire for a traditional high school experience is outweighed by the common good. Why doesn’t our government?---

They haven't asked themselves "what is best for the common good?"

They have only asked themselves, "what is best for my good?"

After all, the expression is "now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party." Says nothing about common good.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #45697 on: August 02, 2020, 10:48:34 AM »

But I think he may truly believe that if people can get back to work because their kids are in school, the economy will (more) rapidly rebound, and therefore unemployment will drop and the economy will boom, just like he has always said it would.

And since he has little to no discernment between what he believes and what is the truth, his path becomes certain and any and all obstacles to the path that he KNOWS is the truth, then, become folks actively working against him and therefore against everybody, since what is good for him is what he thinks is therefore good for the world.

Good points. Though I think a lot of folks who still have jobs are being told to stay home anyway.  At least in NYC many offices cannot ask their employees back at full capacity.   
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45698 on: August 02, 2020, 10:59:18 AM »

Good points. Though I think a lot of folks who still have jobs are being told to stay home anyway.  At least in NYC many offices cannot ask their employees back at full capacity.

Oh, I think Trump is simply wrong.

But I think that's what passes for his reasoning.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45699 on: August 02, 2020, 11:17:26 AM »

Some people are deeper in denial than others.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-08-02-20-intl/

The governor of Arkansas has declared that there is no connection between loosening restrictions and the spike in cases.

Oy.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45700 on: August 02, 2020, 11:27:49 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/health/us-coronavirus-sunday/index.html

The CDC projects 20,000 deaths in 21 days.

It's conservative. We've just had 5 consecutive days over 1,000, including three above 1,400, with an average of over 1,100 per day in the last 8 days - with no sign of its reducing and some of its increasing.

But then again, we have twits like this, taking to the airwaves and presenting their conspiracy theories:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/29/sport/michael-porter-jr-coronavirus-nba-basketball-spt-intl/?hpt=ob_blogfooterold

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #45701 on: August 02, 2020, 11:39:10 AM »

White folks losing their minds...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53622797

Agreed. Not cool what's happening in Germany. Meanwhile, here in America we have
Black folks embracing firing someone on the basis of race.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/what-is-blackfishing-heres-what-a-black-publication-was-criticized-for-after-employing-a-white-dating-columnist-214955252.html

Yeah.

Totally the same. Totally.

Positively Pavlovian.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 11:44:15 AM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #45702 on: August 02, 2020, 11:51:36 AM »

For his base,  the implied rebuttal to science and to liberals is more red meat tossed to them.   People shut their brains down for Trump.   And the concern of the conservatives for cognitive development issues is mostly window dressing (notice they don't seem to care much about child development when 3000 water systems have potential brain-stunting levels of lead,  or when extracurricular programs that foster social development  are slashed by school districts...)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45703 on: August 02, 2020, 12:37:49 PM »

The most distinguishing characteristic of the current national Republican Party is cowardice . . . the party demands dishonesty as a trait of membership.”

“If the Republican Party had been in charge in 1776, we’d all still be celebrating the queen’s birthday.”

“One of the hallmarks of the Trump era is the alacrity with which intelligent people embrace stupidity.”

You might imagine these are the words of a partisan Democrat or a political columnist for a large metropolitan daily.

But they come from “It Was All A Lie,” a new book by Stuart Stevens, a political consultant who has spent much of this adult life trying to get Republicans elected to office, including a number of presidential candidates.

This is from the Boston Globe, and might be behind a paywall. Not sure how they are running at the moment.

The upshot:
For Stevens, that surrender hardly comes as a surprise. The GOP is, at its heart, a “white grievance party,” he writes. And with Trump’s victory in 2016, it could “breathe a sigh of relief that no longer did it need to pretend that it must reach out more to nonwhite voters.”

In other words, for all that he talks about the surrender to Trump, it was only a surrender to be allowed to express what the parry as a whole...
That is the thrust of the argument...
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45704 on: August 02, 2020, 12:43:31 PM »

White folks losing their minds...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53622797

Agreed. Not cool what's happening in Germany. Meanwhile, here in America we have
Black folks embracing firing someone on the basis of race.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/what-is-blackfishing-heres-what-a-black-publication-was-criticized-for-after-employing-a-white-dating-columnist-214955252.html

Yeah.

Totally the same. Totally.

Positively Pavlovian.

And I didn't argue they were "the same". That's an inference that you made, but nothing I implied.
The parallel is the zeal with which the ignorance is purveyed.
Fair-minded individuals can see that.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:45:39 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 3045 3046 [3047] 3048 3049 ... 4288