Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3146 3147 [3148] 3149 3150 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1610258 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #47205 on: August 15, 2020, 11:18:21 AM »

the Chinese coronavirus ...
Enough with the racist attacks on Mitch McConnell wife.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #47206 on: August 15, 2020, 11:24:03 AM »

the Chinese coronavirus ...
Enough with the racist attacks on Mitch McConnell wife.

Ha!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #47207 on: August 15, 2020, 11:39:05 AM »

In a statement Friday night, Rod Spurgeon -- a USPS spokesperson for the service's the Western region -- told CNN that the service will stop the removal of letter collection boxes in 16 states and parts of two others until after the election.

While its nice the USPS will still collect mail in 16 mostly western and presumably reddish states, I'm less than positve that the mailman's motto will do much for the big blue states and cities.

as an aside Mitten'sspoke yeterday on the mail-in issue.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/512139-romney-breaks-with-trumps-criticism-of-mail-in-voting

Romney, during an interview with the Sutherland Institute, was asked if he agreed with Trump's claims — presented without evidence — that voting by mail increases voter fraud.

"I don't know of any evidence that voting by mail would increase voter fraud," Romney responded. "My biggest concern, frankly, with regards to voting fraud has been that there would be some kind of hacking of our voting electronic systems, and that voting machines or tabulating equipment would be hacked."

Romney added it was "essential" that people who want to vote are able to vote.

"That's more important than even the outcome of the vote. We have got to preserve the principle of democracy or the trend we're on is going to continue to get worse," he said.

"When politicians attack a judicial system, attack a voting system ... attack a free press, these things threaten the foundation upon which not only our own democracy rests but democracies around the world rest," he added.

Mitt's making a strong play to be Postmaster Generalisimo in the Biden Admin.

Please Mr. Postman look and see

if there's a ballot, a ballot for me

deliver de letter, de sooner de better

for de mocracy!

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #47208 on: August 15, 2020, 11:42:17 AM »

The same thing that happens when you show up to vote at 7:30 pm after voting at 8 am. They let you cast a provisional ballot and book a provisional cell in your local Federal prison.

It's not the same.  If you go to your local polling place, they find your name in the registration book.  And if you've already signed for that election earlier in the day, you wouldn't be allowed to vote again.  (you might get a provisional ballot if you went to the wrong polling station, but I think they'd just tell you where to go ...)

Kiid's Q is when you show up to vote in person, would they know that you already voted by mail?  My guess is they wouldn't.  Especially if your mail ballot just arrived.
And the Q is how do they catch it later (and when)?  Since these things aren't computerized and mostly rely on physical books.

I think the main response is that one extra vote is nearly inconsequential and it would be hard to organize a lot of people to vote by both methods.  So I think attempts at voter fraud in this manner are extremely low.

I could see someone voting by mail and then worrying that their vote won't be counted because of postal problems or lateness, and then going ahead voting in person.  Hell, someone could vote in September by mail and forget they did that.  Or they mail-voted due to COVID, but then it's not an issue in their area on Election Day and they in-person vote by mistake.

Again, I think this is a minimal issue.  but I'm not sure how or when in the process they catch the double vote.  Unless more is computerized than I suspect, someone would have to physically take registration binders and physically search the pages to check if absentee ballot voters showed up in person and signed the registry book.
Does that actually occur?  This year they'll be lots of absentee ballots which would need cross-referencing.

I'm skeptical they'd catch anybody except those that brag abut double-voting and get turned in.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #47209 on: August 15, 2020, 11:52:42 AM »

Rumors that Birx will be out and Scott Atlas in as coronavirus head...

This is a dangerous man, who apparently has started advising Trump.

Atlas' problem is that he is essentially recycling the flu analogy.   His risk analysis makes sense...for common flu.   Flu kills less,  is far less likely to do permanent damage to heart and kidneys, or leave permanent lung scarring.   Flu is less likely to set off severe blood clotting.   Partisans keep conveniently ignoring that covid leaves a health crisis in its wake that isn't showing in just mortality rates.   This guy should be stripped of his medical license - he is a disgrace to the medical profession. 

There is also, as you noted,  the dubious "no data" argument that somehow young children don't transmit viral infections.  There is data,  showing that (duh)  children attending school are major vectors in families,  and Atlas makes it sound like waiting around for covid to be proved to be like pretty much every other virus is a basis for policy.   

"Until we get hard data that Seattle is rainy,  there is no need to carry umbrellas. "

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #47210 on: August 15, 2020, 11:59:13 AM »

The mail-in ballots, at least in NJ, have barcodes, IDing the individual voter, and once scanned the vote and data is presumably computeried and can be checked against a phyiscal sign-in book for duplication of a vote.

The risk here is that older forgetful voters, with impaired cognitive abilities, might forget they mailed in a ballot in October and show up again in November.

Person-woman-man-camera-TV-did I vote

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #47211 on: August 15, 2020, 12:18:47 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #47212 on: August 15, 2020, 12:33:47 PM »

...most Americans wear masks and socially distance and follow safety protocols. The ones who do not are almost invariably Trump supporters.
Embarrassing conclusion based on no facts but instead on partisanship.

The media completely ignores a universal truth: the most socially destructive disease is one that kills the young. We know that for every 100 cases 97 recover, or suffer mild to non-existent symptoms. The three that don’t are most always older folks.
So it is no surprise that ( no matter what country you are in) those who go maskless and ignore social distancing are young people who won’t ignore the fun things in life, especially for a sickness that may no more serious than the flu.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 12:36:16 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #47213 on: August 15, 2020, 12:48:34 PM »

Red is having a difficult time accepting the fact that morons ignored the knowledge that was accumulated through science and data collection about covid, and that social distancing and masks were effective in slowing the spread of the disease, and that it was the morons and deplorables that by ignoring science turned rational responses to control the disease and slow its spread, into an idiotic partisan political arguments which helped spread the disease, led to countless needless deaths, and spread the associated economic suffering which totals into the trillions of dollars.

Red's a fucking partisan idiot.

and that too is a fact.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 12:51:49 PM by bankshot1 »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47214 on: August 15, 2020, 12:57:31 PM »

...most Americans wear masks and socially distance and follow safety protocols. The ones who do not are almost invariably Trump supporters.
What follows is an embarrassing conclusion based on no facts but instead on partisanship.

The media completely ignores a universal truth: the most socially destructive disease is one that kills the young. We know that for every 100 cases 97 recover, or suffer mild to non-existent symptoms. The three that don’t are most always older folks.
So it is no surprise that ( no matter what country you are in) those who go maskless and ignore social distancing are young people who won’t ignore the fun things in life, especially for a sickness that may no more serious than the flu.
FIFY.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/315590/americans-face-mask-usage-varies-greatly-demographics.aspx
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #47215 on: August 15, 2020, 01:16:38 PM »

FIFY.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/315590/americans-face-mask-usage-varies-greatly-demographics.aspx

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #47216 on: August 15, 2020, 01:34:56 PM »

Red also seems ok with millions of older americans getting ill and dieing because red-state morons were too ignorant and selfish to give a fuck about science and wanted to have a cold one down at the pub.

Red-Where the fuck is your decency, common sense, sense of right and wrong and sacrificng just a little for your fellow Americans, you gutless selfish piece of shit.

I shouldn't be too hard on the ignorant asshole, as you can't sacrifice what you don't have.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47217 on: August 15, 2020, 01:55:24 PM »

Cancel culture could also kill people.

"Could" vs. "does."

You think they are the same. They are not. Nor could your claimed cancel culture kill nearly as many people. Nor does it interfere with constitutional freedoms.

You just keep on defending racism, Bambi, and illegality. It's a great look for you.

You blame Trump for everything.
He could've done more at the beginning, but most Americans it seems will not social distance, will not wear masks, and would rather "live in risky freedom than live in communist lockdown".
Also, the states don't seem to be doing anything drastic to stop the spread. The states, who have all the power.
Can't blame it all on Trump.

You make up shit when facts won't serve.

There is no need to blame Trump for everything, Bambi. None whatsoever.

You are trying to excuse him for the conduct of "most Americans," but they took their cue from the orange buffoon who told them it was unimportant and would be going away soon. They followed his lead. As more than one person was heard to have said, "If President Trump doesn't need to wear a mask, then I don't, either."

Not EARLY for for 4/5ths of the time that this thing has been rampaging in this country, he has refused to lead.

It wasn't just that he failed to react swiftly, it is that he actively obstructed the actions of others while abdicating the federal role of organizing distribution of materials and refused to use his power on a timely basis to order supplies be made.

His chose to do nothing about the federal stockpile, though he was warned. He canned the team responsible for handling the problem. He refused to heed the warnings from his own people after his administration ran multiple mock-pandemic exercises and the results said "we need to fix things." He tossed out the pandemic playbook that the Obama administration had put together, after they failed such an exercise and mishandled H1N1.

He is the one who forbade Fauci's appearance on national television and stopped the daily briefings when he had used them to ill-effect and then resumed them when he could not have his big public rallies!

He's also the person whose appointee was dismantling the Post Office (while buying Amazon stock and holding UPS stock) - which doesn't just impact the election, which is his goal, but also slows down delivery of prescription medications and so much more.

But no, he is not solely responsible, even given what I said above - he just bears a far heavier burden for it than you wish to admit, since you have been championing him in the mistaken idea that he is somehow Australia's friend.

You clearly don't remember my complaining about the Governor and Lt. Governor (both dems) allowing Mardi Gras to go forward irresponsibly.

You ignore my plaint against Mitch McConnell, who has been grossly negligent, though he (also belatedly) eventually embraced the wearing of masks. But his irresponsible recess of the US Senate until after Labor Day (first monday in Sept. this year) is another thing that will cause needless and pointless deaths and suffering.

Plenty of blame to go around. And yes, the sheep are responsible for their own failures to heed MEDICAL advice, but that does not absolve Trump of responsibility at the same time.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47218 on: August 15, 2020, 02:01:01 PM »

The same thing that happens when you show up to vote at 7:30 pm after voting at 8 am. They let you cast a provisional ballot and book a provisional cell in your local Federal prison.

It's not the same.  If you go to your local polling place, they find your name in the registration book.  And if you've already signed for that election earlier in the day, you wouldn't be allowed to vote again.  (you might get a provisional ballot if you went to the wrong polling station, but I think they'd just tell you where to go ...)

Kiid's Q is when you show up to vote in person, would they know that you already voted by mail?  My guess is they wouldn't.  Especially if your mail ballot just arrived.
And the Q is how do they catch it later (and when)?  Since these things aren't computerized and mostly rely on physical books.

I think the main response is that one extra vote is nearly inconsequential and it would be hard to organize a lot of people to vote by both methods.  So I think attempts at voter fraud in this manner are extremely low.

I could see someone voting by mail and then worrying that their vote won't be counted because of postal problems or lateness, and then going ahead voting in person.  Hell, someone could vote in September by mail and forget they did that.  Or they mail-voted due to COVID, but then it's not an issue in their area on Election Day and they in-person vote by mistake.

Again, I think this is a minimal issue.  but I'm not sure how or when in the process they catch the double vote.  Unless more is computerized than I suspect, someone would have to physically take registration binders and physically search the pages to check if absentee ballot voters showed up in person and signed the registry book.
Does that actually occur?  This year they'll be lots of absentee ballots which would need cross-referencing.

I'm skeptical they'd catch anybody except those that brag abut double-voting and get turned in.

You're mistaken.

(a) We have cross-state registration checking among a good bunch of states, checking for duplicate registration.

(b) In most places, the voting by mail is getting counted after the regular count, and names will be checked off, so that anybody who voted in person will not have their mail vote counted. I have seen this happen in my town. We are not super sophisticated, either.

(c) The same ticking off the voter rolls is done in the towns that process the envelopes before votes and before election day. They tick off the receipt of a vote.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47219 on: August 15, 2020, 02:05:11 PM »

We know that for every 100 cases 97 recover, or suffer mild to non-existent symptoms. The three that don’t are most always older folks.

No, we don't know that.

You make up facts really well. Love to see your evidence that that is knowledge rather than a claim at best based on incomplete data.

And it is true that most of those who suffer are either older or with underlying conditions.

You're prepared to sacrifice the others. Kind of like the Death Panels you were all worked up about the Dems setting up, but you have them, instead, and are not even making decisions with them about science, just whim.

(And pay no attention to either the high rate of heart inflammation that makes your 3% figure look like a joke or the dead kids.)
Pages: 1 ... 3146 3147 [3148] 3149 3150 ... 4288