Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all of the NFL teams make it through the whole season?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:04:36 PM

Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 329

Author Topic: National Football League  (Read 166306 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: National Football League
« Reply #4305 on: December 02, 2021, 12:23:04 PM »

Would you have taken Tomlinson, Peterson or Lynch?  How about Elliott?  McCaffrey?  Fournette?  First round running backs since 2000, rated:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-every-nfl-running-back-drafted-in-round-1-since-2000-ladainian-tomlinson-leads-the-list/

(Saquon is 31)

31/48 isn't very good. Bottom 40%. Worse when compared only to those taken in the top 10 or 5.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: December 02, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »

I argued against the Barkely pick pre-draft and suggested one of two paths, either pick a franchise QB with the #2 pick, or trade down for a basket of picks.

What you dont get is that I dont discount this.  I know you and many others were off of drafting Saquon.

Your way - taking Darnold (hello, Mike Francessa) wasnt necessarily a path to greatness.  Nobody wanted Allen so dont bring him up.  Just as many wanted Rosen as Darnold.  I actually posted at the time my like for L Jackson - though Barkley was my choice.

Overall - kill Gettleman for not hiring Matt Ruhle (my choice) and for hiring Jason Garrett as OC.  I am fine with all of that - and draftees over the years you could quibble ith (as I did with not taking the stud Simmons). 

But I like Judge - and I like the QB.  Not a Hall of Famer at pick #8?  Cry me a river.  I gave you his passing stats for a team down receivers all year.  They speak for themselves even before accounting for his rushing skills.

Again, I ask - you said no to Barkley - show me the better path - picks in 2018 and forward starting with Darnold.  Lets hear the names.

And do not say trade down and take Allen or trade down and take Jackson - you werent on that.  TRADE DOWN?  Cool - lets hear it.

I generally don't like USC QBs, they seem to leave their game in sunny SoCal, but I thought after Darnold's freshman year he might make a good pro QB. But he got destroyed by the Jets. Whether better pro coaching might have saved him is an unknown. I did not have any strong opinion about any other 1st round QBs as I don't spend a lot time watching college ball. I thought Mayfield was interesting, but he was off the board. But pro scouts do have that knowledge about the handful of guys who might make it as QBs in the NFL. And in that draft there were 4 or 5 QBs picked in the 1st round. There was demand, even if the G-Men didn't see their guy. Gettleman ignored the marketplace for QBs. It was dumb.

IMO the other choice was to trade down and use the leverage of the 4 teams that were still looking for a new franchise rookie to get picks to rebuild. And we were told that Gettleman turned down what he said was a reasonable offer. I assume a reasonable offer is at least 2 1s, maybe 3, and other decent picks a 3rd and 4th, which Imo can go along way with existing picks to start rebuilding a team over a 2-3 year period.

We saw Gettleman trade down from 11 to 20 and snag a 3rd rounder and a future 1st from the Bears. The value for the #2 pick is much much greater than the 11th pick, particularly if you think the cream of the draft is in the top 4-5-6-7 draft picks.

But Gettleman had his heart set on a Bentley, and who could blame him, its a gorgeous car, but he had no garage, or a trained mechanic to keep it tuned up. So unfortunately it sat on the street and was hardly ever taken out for a spin.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: December 02, 2021, 12:34:07 PM »

Are you not taking any of those running backs I mentioned, Josh?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: December 02, 2021, 12:44:56 PM »

Worth noting for 2018 draft

Bucs landed 2 number 2s (53 and 56)  for moving down from 7 to 12.

Jets move from 6 to 3 cost them 3 number 2s (37 and 49, 2018 and 34 in 2019)

So yes, Giants could have had picks.

Could they have had Barkley at 6 if they dealt with Jets instead of Colts doing so?  I doubt it.

May have had Rosen. 

You want to say may have pulled Allen out of their butts?  Sure - go ahead with that with no evidence Giants were on him.

More likely - they take the guy Colts took - Quentin Nelson, the tackle McGlinchey or possibly M Fitzpatrick if you want to rosy it up.

Colts, Browns or Broncos, picking 3-5 likely get Saquon

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/draft.htm
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 12:46:41 PM by kidcarter8 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: December 02, 2021, 12:48:23 PM »

I assume a reasonable offer is at least 2 1s, maybe 3, and other decent picks a 3rd and 4th...

heh

(see above)

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: December 02, 2021, 01:00:54 PM »

I assume a reasonable offer is at least 2 1s, maybe 3, and other decent picks a 3rd and 4th...

heh

(see above)

The Bears executed a draft-day trade with the New York Giants, moving from No. 20 to No. 11 overall to select Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields. Chicago sent the No. 20 overall pick and a fifth-rounder this year (No. 164 overall) in addition to 2022 first- and fourth-round picks to secure its quarterback of the future.

So the Giants got 2 1s, a 4th and a 5th for trading down from 11 to 20. (I though the 4th was a 3rd-my bad).

How much more valuable is the 2nd pick in the draft than the 11th, particularly in a draft where several teams are looking for a franchise QB?

The answer is much more valuable and much costlier to the buyer.

HEH

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: December 02, 2021, 02:49:59 PM »

I already gave you what Jets were willing to give for the 3 overall and Bills for the 7.

Looks like Gettleman held out for a great deal - still getting the excellent Toney - after DeVonta became unavailable at 11.

More reason to keep him.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: December 02, 2021, 02:55:42 PM »

Did you want the Giants to get a 20 in 2018?  For the 2?

Heh.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: December 02, 2021, 04:02:30 PM »

I already gave you what Jets were willing to give for the 3 overall and Bills for the 7.

Looks like Gettleman held out for a great deal - still getting the excellent Toney - after DeVonta became unavailable at 11.

More reason to keep him.

LMAO

Kid you've been 360ing on this.

Yesterday you insisted there was no offers made.

Then I quoted Gettleman saying he did receive a very reasonable offer for the #2

Today you now tell me that the Jets moved 3 spots from 6 to 3 to get a QB, and gave up the 6 and 3 2s.

And they did.

THATS A FUCKING BASKET for the Colts to rebuild with for moving just 3 spots, giving up the 3 for the 6.

That's how competitive an in demand top of the draft order slots are when teams want QBs.

Would the Jets have tossed an additional asset into the pot for the certainty of #2 instead of #3?

I've no idea. But they paid up for moving 3 spots.

And that's why it was insane for the G-Men to waste that asset on a running back when they had so many needs to address.

And insane for Gettleman to ignore the demand for the QB market.

He didn't do his job.

That you don't understand this is hilarious.

Keep on spinning kid and perhaps once you regain your balance, and sit down, you might understand it. 

TFF
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 04:05:15 PM by bankshot1 »

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: December 02, 2021, 04:32:31 PM »

Hind sight is 20/20.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: December 02, 2021, 04:57:57 PM »

THATS A FUCKING BASKET for the Colts to rebuild with for moving just 3 spots, giving up the 3 for the 6.

Meh...not so much the 3 number 1s you stated.  And no - no certainty Jets offered this to Giants. 

Thing is - as I told you - Barkley would have been gone by 6 - and Gettleman wanted little part in losing this player.  He wanted - and got - his Cadillac.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: December 02, 2021, 04:59:30 PM »

And they did.

Yes.  I did the research for you.  Dont mention it.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: December 02, 2021, 05:40:34 PM »

And they did.

Yes.  I did the research for you.  Dont mention it.

LMAO

Kid you did the research for yourself once you realized that trading down for a franchise QB is a thing.

But a thing you weren't familiar with.

TFF

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: December 02, 2021, 05:42:39 PM »

Please

Learn how to SPEAK to people.  Rather than insult.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: December 02, 2021, 05:44:28 PM »

And insane for Gettleman to ignore the demand for the QB market.

Dave didnt want a QB that year.  He wanted a star.
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 329