Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250132 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #600 on: October 01, 2018, 03:19:37 PM »

Trivia:

Who was coaching Jan 1 2011 for the Spartans.

No wait that would make that guy a starter that never got out of the first inning I suppose. Anyhoo,(15th ranked in the BCS?)Blowing it comes in all sorts of packages.

Discuss.

Next up Jan 8th 2007. Double edged sword for me on that one though. But what the heck.
So you are equating getting blown out by a superior team playing at its best with a team that by all measures should have won making a bad play call that sealed the loss? Other than using baseball for the analogy I fail to see any connection.

Mesa had a world class fastball and a second rate slider. At a crucial point in the 9th inning of Game 7, Mesa three times shook of Alomar's fastball call to throw his slider, feeling the batter would be sitting fastball. That Charles Johnson could not catch up to his fastball if he was sitting on it from 70' 7" did not enter into his thinking. Instead Mesa became the first person, and one of only two in history (Mariano Rivera, so good company) to blow a.9th inning Game 7 save, on his second best pitch.

Franklin saw a shift in OSU's defense that told him he had five blockers on four linemen, and called a play for that alignment, forgetting, first, OSU's four linemen had been playing in their backfield all game, and second the wise maxim that in crucial situations think players, not plays. He relied on his second best offensive player, and it cost him the chance to win the game. Hence the analogy with Mesa, borrowing driver's idea.

I am unaware of any game MSU played in January of 2007. Basketball?

So you are equating getting blown out by a superior team playing at its best

Actually the team that won was ranked far below the team that lost on Jan 1 2011 going into that game. So you will have to rewrite your response.

And for the record I concede that you are correct in your comparison of Franklin and Mesa. Quite clever actually.

My 'no' response was that I didn't want to discuss it. But I got sucked into it anyway by my own weakness.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 03:23:21 PM by CaptainCargo »
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 01, 2018, 03:23:23 PM »

Also, Jackson had pitched the 8th
I had not remembered this (so many years ago…..sigh) Still, Mesa was still getting the majority of closer opportunities that year (maybe 2 out of 3?), as I remember it. I do remember I was very apprehensive about bringing in Mesa, so I must have felt that Jackson was capable of another inning since his accumulated number of innings wouldn't have been that high.
Well, he only threw 5 pitches, but Grover pulled him for Anderson with 2 outs in the 8th so he was done anyway.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 01, 2018, 03:24:39 PM »

Well, UCLA fans did predict Chip Kelly would produce a memorable team.

LOW Highlight Award winner!
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 01, 2018, 03:26:15 PM »

Trivia:

No wait that would make that guy a starter that never got out of the first inning I suppose. Anyhoo,(15th ranked in the BCS?)Blowing it comes in all sorts of packages.

Discuss.

Next up Jan 8th 2007. Double edged sword for me on that one though. But what the heck.
So you are equating getting blown out by a superior team playing at its best with a team that by all measures should have won making a bad play call that sealed the loss? Other than using baseball for the analogy I fail to see any connection.

Mesa had a world class fastball and a second rate slider. At a crucial point in the 9th inning of Game 7, Mesa three times shook of Alomar's fastball call to throw his slider, feeling the batter would be sitting fastball. That Charles Johnson could not catch up to his fastball if he was sitting on it from 70' 7" did not enter into his thinking. Instead Mesa became the first person, and one of only two in history (Mariano Rivera, so good company) to blow a.9th inning Game 7 save, on his second best pitch.

Franklin saw a shift in OSU's defense that told him he had five blockers on four linemen, and called a play for that alignment, forgetting, first, OSU's four linemen had been playing in their backfield all game, and second the wise maxim that in crucial situations think players, not plays. He relied on his second best offensive player, and it cost him the chance to win the game. Hence the analogy with Mesa, borrowing driver's idea.

Actually the team that won was ranked far below the team that lost on Jan 1 2011 going into that game. So you will have to rewrite your response.

And for the record I concede that you are correct in your comparison of Franklin and Mesa. Quite clever actually.

My 'no' response was that I didn't want to discuss it. But I got sucked into it anyway by my own weakness.
I said better, not more highly ranked, and I can give you precisely 42 reasons for that opinion.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 01, 2018, 03:36:52 PM »

Trivia:

Discuss.

I said better, not more highly ranked, and I can give you precisely 42 reasons for that opinion.

The fact still stands that the much higher ranked team blew it big time to the much lower ranked team. You can't change that fact by trying to quantify it on 'your terms'. Well you can try, but succeeding is technically an impossibility.

1 or 42 reasons in hindsight mean nothing at all.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 01, 2018, 03:56:44 PM »

Trivia:

Discuss.

The fact still stands that the much higher ranked team blew it big time to the much lower ranked team. You can't change that fact by trying to quantify it on 'your terms'. Well you can try, but succeeding is technically an impossibility.

My comment, my terms. I said better team. You do not get to change that to your liking.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 01, 2018, 04:48:47 PM »

Every few seasons, going all the way to back to Bear Bryant (see Fran Curci, Jerry Claiborne, Hal Mumme and Rich Brooks) Kentucky puts together a half-way decent season, we get headlines telling us "Kentucky: It's Not Just a Basketball School Anymore" and then they go right on back to being a basketball school.  I figure they'll wind up 8-4, likely lose in a bowl game and go right on back to where they've been.

Yup.  Kentucky is this year's Kansas from several years back
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 01, 2018, 04:49:52 PM »

Two people in that poll are clearly being contrarian for the sake of being argumentative. I hate when people do that.

:-)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 01, 2018, 04:50:12 PM »

Every few seasons, going all the way to back to Bear Bryant (see Fran Curci, Jerry Claiborne, Hal Mumme and Rich Brooks) Kentucky puts together a half-way decent season, we get headlines telling us "Kentucky: It's Not Just a Basketball School Anymore" and then they go right on back to being a basketball school.  I figure they'll wind up 8-4, likely lose in a bowl game and go right on back to where they've been.

It's kind of like USC and basketball.   
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 01, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »

Trivia:

Discuss.

My comment, my terms. I said better team. You do not get to change that to your liking.

You were commenting on what I said, so no, not your terms. If you didn't understand what I said and implied I can try to explain it to again, But it's unnecessary because I know you understood. You purposely tried to change what I said which is your wont most of the time. This usually ends up in a pissing contest whereas we yak and yak and yak ending up in both of us telling the other to fuck off.

So lets cut to the chase I'm tired today, FUCK OFF.

Your turn.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 01, 2018, 06:22:52 PM »

Y'know I was sorta thinking that myself. I remember railing about that 2007 Jayhawk team. In the end I was wrong.

We'll have to wait and see about Kentucky I guess

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 01, 2018, 06:29:22 PM »

Well, UCLA fans did predict Chip Kelly would produce a memorable team.

LOW Highlight Award winner!
Aw, shucks !   (Blushes)

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 01, 2018, 06:43:16 PM »

It's kind of like USC and basketball.

Fair enough

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 01, 2018, 07:10:32 PM »

Trivia:

Discuss.

You were commenting on what I said, so no, not your terms. If you didn't understand what I said and implied I can try to explain it to again, But it's unnecessary because I know you understood. You purposely tried to change what I said which is your wont most of the time. This usually ends up in a pissing contest whereas we yak and yak and yak ending up in both of us telling the other to fuck off.

So lets cut to the chase I'm tired today, FUCK OFF.

Your turn.
Ranking is irrelevant to the example. Alabama was simply the better team, by far and beyond any ratio al dispute. The decision that lead to the trouncing was made when the bids were.accepted, or at the very least the decision by MSU to show up. Dantonio would have to somehow convinced Alabama to wear the wrong uniforms to have made a difference.

Ranking was irrelevant Saturday, though for 52 minutes PSU was the superior team even though lower ranked and by rights should have won. That it did not can be laid to Franklin's door in a way the Woodshed Bowl cannot be laid at Dantonio's door.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 01, 2018, 07:11:06 PM »

Oh, and.go sod a Trump.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 329