Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250242 times)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #960 on: November 07, 2018, 08:16:33 PM »

So how many teams control their own destiny for the Football Four?

I'm thinking five, looking at what the Committee seems to be indicating. Maybe six.
Despite being 4, I do not think Meatchicken controls its destiny. A once beaten Alabama might stay above.them and a one loss God's Conference Champ Georgia leapfrog them.

Disagree.
If Michigan and Notre Dame win out (Clemson,too)then neither a one loss Alabama or a one loss Georgia can’t be ranked ahead of Michigan.
You may have lost count of your negatives.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #961 on: November 07, 2018, 09:57:02 PM »

If Michigan and Notre Dame win out (Clemson,too)then neither a one loss Alabama or a one loss Georgia can’t be ranked ahead of Michigan.

This is the same point I made last week.  I don't think I said they "can't be" because I don't have a lot of faith in the committee.   If they put in a one loss non conference champ before a one loss power five conference champion (Michigan), I suspect the committee would lose support from at least 3 of the 5 conferences.

I guess they will get crap either way and I'm sure they are praying Alabama does not lose before the title game so they don't have to face that choice.
I suspect this point will come up later, but I think the committee has done as good a job as humanly possible in setting the playoffs each year.  Even where I disagree, the Committee has at least been consistent and I have understood its rationale.

The thing is, the Committee is charged with first, determining which team is better based upon their over all resume.  Only where two teams are substantially equal in their over all resumes does the committee afford special status to things like head to head or conference championships.  That is why two years in a row the Committee has elevated a one loss non-champ over a two loss champ: the resume of a two loss Power 5 team is not equal to that of a one loss Power 5 team in the Committee's eyes.  But if, say. Alabama loses in its Conference Championship game, you compare them as a one loss team to, say, Michigan as a one loss team.  Since Michigan's Conference Championship does not gain significance unless the Committee determines they are substantially equal, the Committee could look at Alabama's overall resume and decide that they were simply the better team.  It is certainly a rational argument, based on how dominant they have been both offensively and defensively, while Michigan has not been as dominant, and only defensively.

But as you say, if the Committee does that I suspect at least the Big 12, the Big 10 and the PAC would start lobbying for alternatives.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #962 on: November 07, 2018, 10:31:16 PM »

This is the same point I made last week.  I don't think I said they "can't be" because I don't have a lot of faith in the committee.   If they put in a one loss non conference champ before a one loss power five conference champion (Michigan), I suspect the committee would lose support from at least 3 of the 5 conferences.

I guess they will get crap either way and I'm sure they are praying Alabama does not lose before the title game so they don't have to face that choice.
I suspect this point will come up later, but I think the committee has done as good a job as humanly possible in setting the playoffs each year.  Even where I disagree, the Committee has at least been consistent and I have understood its rationale.

The thing is, the Committee is charged with first, determining which team is better based upon their over all resume. 
And Michigan’s resume(if it is 11-1B1G Champion) can only be topped by an undefeated Alabama, Clemson, or Notre Dame. Michigan rises above any or all of them with a loss by any or all of them.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #963 on: November 08, 2018, 12:11:08 AM »

The thing is, the Committee is charged with first, determining which team is better based upon their over all resume. 
And Michigan’s resume(if it is 11-1B1G Champion) can only be topped by an undefeated Alabama, Clemson, or Notre Dame. Michigan rises above any or all of them with a loss by any or all of them.
We disagree.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: November 08, 2018, 07:10:12 AM »

So how many teams control their own destiny for the Football Four?

I'm thinking five, looking at what the Committee seems to be indicating. Maybe six.
Despite being 4, I do not think Meatchicken controls its destiny. A once beaten Alabama might stay above.them and a one loss God's Conference Champ Georgia leapfrog them.

Good point, I hadn't considered Bama losing.
Can't imagine why.

Yep.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: November 08, 2018, 07:19:59 AM »

I think Bama is the only team safe to say will still be a lock to be above Michigan if it loses to say Auburn yet beats Georgia for the SEC title. Clemson would be IMO a 60-40 favorite over Michigan if they came to the dance at a one loss ACC Champ. ND IMO falls right off the F4 map completely if they lose a game. Again my opinion.

But what if ND loses? It could/should(Since ND has no Title game to bolster it) open the door for the PAC and B12 one loss champs.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: November 08, 2018, 07:20:26 AM »

We disagree.

LOL

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: November 08, 2018, 07:33:47 AM »

I think Bama is the only team safe to say will still be a lock to be above Michigan if it loses to say Auburn yet beats Georgia for the SEC title. Clemson would be IMO a 70-30 favorite over Michigan if they came to the dance at a one loss ACC Champ. ND IMO falls right off the F4 map completely if they lose a game. Again my opinion.
If Alabama or ClemSIN are conference champs, they are in the playoffs. The question is more, how do they treat them if they do not win the conference title. By the consistent precedent the Committee has employed, they would get in over any two loss champion. But what if Albama loses to Georgia and there are no two loss champs?,I have been using Meatchicken, but the question might get closer if the Big Whatever champ is tOSU. Or if the one loss champ it is compared to is Washington State.

But what if ND loses? It could/should(Since ND has no Title game to bolster it) open the door for the PAC and B12 one loss champs.
A.one loss ND is likely screwed unless there are two two loss champs. Even though they beat Meatchicken head to head.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: November 08, 2018, 08:01:07 AM »

A Notre Dame loss also hurts Michigan. And to maybe a lesser extent OSU if they are the B10 entry for consideration.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: November 08, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »

A Notre Dame loss also hurts Michigan. And to maybe a lesser extent OSU if they are the B10 entry for consideration.
A Notre Dame loss hurts Notre Dame.
It does not hurt Michigan.
Michigan can only hurt Michigan by losing.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: November 08, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »

An undefeated ND helps the Michigan loss. Lots and lots of talk about how 'Michigan's only loss is to undefeated Notre Dame'. A Notre Dame loss tarnishes that a bit. No other way around that. A two loss ND even more.

Also my thinking has OSU beating Michigan 'may' mean more if ND stays undefeated. But that could I suppose be argued either way.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:10:54 PM by CaptainCargo »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: November 08, 2018, 02:12:48 PM »

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #972 on: November 08, 2018, 02:44:38 PM »

An undefeated ND helps the Michigan loss. Lots and lots of talk about how 'Michigan's only loss is to undefeated Notre Dame'. A Notre Dame loss tarnishes that a bit. No other way around that. A two loss ND even more.

Also my thinking has OSU beating Michigan 'may' mean more if ND stays undefeated. But that could I suppose be argued either way.
Well, if Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie loses it may mean that tOSU beats the #3 team in the rankings, which is hard to improve on. Of course tOSU is picking up their second loss on Saturday, so they are out of the playoff picture anyway.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #973 on: November 08, 2018, 02:50:06 PM »

A three loss Notre Dame still has NO effect on Michigan getting into the playoffs.
Only  Michigan losses can accomplish that.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: November 08, 2018, 03:04:29 PM »

A three loss Notre Dame still has NO effect on Michigan getting into the playoffs.
Only  Michigan losses can accomplish that.

We disagree.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 329