Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3876 3877 [3878] 3879 3880 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1632483 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #58155 on: November 25, 2020, 10:24:06 AM »

I am sitting in Panera right now - mask off when I sip my coffee, spaced about 15 feet from the next customer - but closer at times - when ordering, refilling etc.

Proper? 
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #58156 on: November 25, 2020, 10:26:03 AM »

Forum has become weird.  I have a strange grouping available of Kam, Bu, Fac (for now) and Bo with all the ignores. 

heh    lol

Become weird?
Hasn't it always been so?
But isn't that part of its attraction?
Go woke, go broke.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #58157 on: November 25, 2020, 10:32:26 AM »

Forum has become weird.  I have a strange grouping available of Kam, Bu, Fac (for now) and Bo with all the ignores. 

heh    lol

kid has it dawned on you the more you ignore certain posters and opinions you further isolate yourself from ideas that even if threatening to your own, may have merit?

In any case, are you looking forward to Trump's Gettyburg appearance today?

I bet it will be the best Presidential address ever at Gettysburgh.

Make an Address at Gettysburgh Again!!!

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #58158 on: November 25, 2020, 10:45:57 AM »

Sorry - forgot to include BANK on the list,  YG as well, come to think of it - and I am sure there are a couple more

kid has it dawned on you the more you ignore certain posters and opinions you further isolate yourself from ideas that even if threatening to your own, may have merit?

The ignores are for abuse.  Has nothing to do with viewpoint - and I get info from all sides, trust me.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #58159 on: November 25, 2020, 10:47:03 AM »

In any case, are you looking forward to Trump's Gettyburg appearance today?

heh

No.  I wouldnt say that.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #58160 on: November 25, 2020, 10:47:29 AM »

innocenceproject.org

1.Walter Barton is likely innocent.

#####

Make that 'was'.
He was put to death in Missouri back in May this year.
His story...tried 5 times by the state...is terribly sad indeed.
Mrs bambu was in tears reading it and the cases of 4 other  innocent men nailed to the cross of injustice in Missouri.
Luckily they weren't put to death as well.

Some might say Missouri has lost its right to exist, should be dissolved as a state, and its land merged/taken over by the surrounding states.
Go woke, go broke.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #58161 on: November 25, 2020, 11:42:48 AM »

Trump’s assault on our fair elections is the culmination of the conscious decision by the Republican Party to suppress the votes of marginalized communities rather than reach out in any meaningful way..

It’s no accident the Trump campaign has targeted the votes of black and brown people from the counties that carried Joe Biden to victory in the swing states.

Below is the abstract from a paper I produced in 2014:

“Recent polling data has shown widespread support for the proposal and enactment of new laws changing voting procedures in many states controlled by conservative legislatures. Supporters of these new laws contend they are necessary for electoral security and to prevent in-person voter fraud, while opponents state the new laws are designed to suppress the increasing voting power of racial/ethnic minorities (primarily African Americans) and to maintain the status quo in regions that are experiencing demographic shifts in the voting populations.

The purpose of this study was to try and understand why there is support for these new laws in the face of evidence that voter fraud is extremely rare and the specific target of these new laws, in-person voting fraud is statistically non-existent. This effort examines the relationship between perceptions of African Americans and support for these new voting laws and whether those perceptions are reinforced by exposure to television and television news. Cultivation theory states people who spend more hours watching television than others perceive the real world to be an accurate reflection of the world they see on television. This study was an attempt to determine if the support for these new voting laws has been influenced by the amount of television people watch and the results indicate that this may indeed be the case.

To examine if there was a correlation between the representations of African Americans in the media and the support for new voting laws a cross-sectional survey was distributed through social media networks on the Internet to two hundred fifty participants with one hundred ninety fully completing the survey.

Participants who reported a negative perception of African Americans indicated their support for laws eliminating early voting periods and support for stricter voter identification laws. Participants who reported watching more television than others were more likely to believe portrayals of African Americans on television were accurate and also indicated their support for strict voter identification standards and support for laws eliminating early voting. As such people who watch more television may be exposed to more negative racial imagery in television programming and that may wield influence over their decision making process on issues concerning local and national politics as well as society in general.

Trump isn't the real problem. The real problem is SCOTUS.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/supreme-court-breathtakingly-radical-approach-120048391.html

And Congress has the solution.

Didn’t say Trump was the real problem.

The real problem is the decade long attack on the votes of black people by the Republicans with the tacit support of the majority of white people.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58162 on: November 25, 2020, 12:20:59 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/25/politics/trump-pennsylvania-hearing-giuliani/index.html

Trump's trip was cancelled.

"The cancellation came after Giuliani was exposed to a second person who tested positive for coronavirus in just the last week."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58163 on: November 25, 2020, 12:48:47 PM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-covid-update-watch-live-stream-today-2020-11-24/

CA's COVID-19 hospitalizations were up more than 80% in the last two weeks.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58164 on: November 25, 2020, 12:53:32 PM »

That's a very sad picture, Larry. I feel good about having spent the last 5 months making sure that the eldest seniors in my town have been getting food they need. And I feel badly that I have to do so, too.

Also, we are upping our donations to the food bank this year.

BTW, a very good charity for addressing this terrible problem is "Feeding America", found here on Charity Navigator.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=5271

Charity is terrific but what does that have to do with the GOP deliberately causing so much psin and suffering?

It's just how I am responding to the picture, not the GOP.

Why won’t the Republicans let the Federal Government step up and do it’s job?

You tell me.

I support a share in a community farm here in SE.

Very nice.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #58165 on: November 25, 2020, 12:55:41 PM »

Oh...so who makes that judgement? You? What you're advocating isn't democratic.

Anyone who supported trump with more than a vote has acted to reject every foundation our country stands for. They have severed themselves from the nation. Now that we have rejected trump and it is clear to all, we need to hold his attendant rejects to their severance lest they succeed in reinstating something in his likeness but in an even more debased and dangerous form.

YOU are off topic. And all over the map. All you are doing is trying to justify what you say you are against.

Kiid is already clamoring for don jr to run in 2024. I’m frankly more worried about Tom cotton who seems to feel his destiny to command a whole army of psychos to kill off anything good, decent, and wholesome in the land. This type of shit needs to be nipped in the bud.

Kid has nothing to do with what YOU wrote. Man up.

After March 2017, trump support could no longer be counted as an ignorant mistake but has to be interpreted as a malicious attack on The United States of America and treated accordingly.

Advocating killing judges is not something anyone who supports the US Constitution can defend arguing.

So, as un-American as Trump and many of his supporters are or have been, what you are saying is at least as un-American.

Act like you won the election. If you are for  a UNITED States of America, then it's best to start thinking of ways to bring people together. Your extremist identity politics serves a very different purpose.

Identity politics?

You mean the white suprematists?

I am a bit reluctant to break bread and make nice with those who made a frontal, if bumbling, assault on our democracy and in the process tried to use back people as their weapon and target.

I’m for Nuremberg style trials for those who made and carried out the policies that were crimes against humanity.

These bastards must be held accountable.

Yup. Larry is taking a narrower approach clearly fully within the law. I think more will be required.  White Privilege should not let these fuckers fade into anonymity or worm their way back into the mainstream. Beat them until they are destroyed, despondent, destitute, and finally dust. After that, I’ll work on getting along with whoever is left.

If that is where you are headed, then they win because they keep you playing their game.

The trick is to change the game so as to make the one they play irrelevant.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #58166 on: November 25, 2020, 12:57:27 PM »

More facts about mask wear and its influence on frequency of COVID-19 cases.

That map kinda shows the learning curve of the virus, as it hit the states doing better with masks, first. SD is a loser state, run by a witch.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #58167 on: November 25, 2020, 01:00:19 PM »

When in public, masks should be number one priority, keeping a distance from others secondary.

What is considered "public"?

For you, it would be leaving the bar stool and going outside. The rest of us know what it means.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #58168 on: November 25, 2020, 01:01:55 PM »

Trump’s assault on our fair elections is the culmination of the conscious decision by the Republican Party to suppress the votes of marginalized communities rather than reach out in any meaningful way..

It’s no accident the Trump campaign has targeted the votes of black and brown people from the counties that carried Joe Biden to victory in the swing states.

Below is the abstract from a paper I produced in 2014:

“Recent polling data has shown widespread support for the proposal and enactment of new laws changing voting procedures in many states controlled by conservative legislatures. Supporters of these new laws contend they are necessary for electoral security and to prevent in-person voter fraud, while opponents state the new laws are designed to suppress the increasing voting power of racial/ethnic minorities (primarily African Americans) and to maintain the status quo in regions that are experiencing demographic shifts in the voting populations.

The purpose of this study was to try and understand why there is support for these new laws in the face of evidence that voter fraud is extremely rare and the specific target of these new laws, in-person voting fraud is statistically non-existent. This effort examines the relationship between perceptions of African Americans and support for these new voting laws and whether those perceptions are reinforced by exposure to television and television news. Cultivation theory states people who spend more hours watching television than others perceive the real world to be an accurate reflection of the world they see on television. This study was an attempt to determine if the support for these new voting laws has been influenced by the amount of television people watch and the results indicate that this may indeed be the case.

To examine if there was a correlation between the representations of African Americans in the media and the support for new voting laws a cross-sectional survey was distributed through social media networks on the Internet to two hundred fifty participants with one hundred ninety fully completing the survey.

Participants who reported a negative perception of African Americans indicated their support for laws eliminating early voting periods and support for stricter voter identification laws. Participants who reported watching more television than others were more likely to believe portrayals of African Americans on television were accurate and also indicated their support for strict voter identification standards and support for laws eliminating early voting. As such people who watch more television may be exposed to more negative racial imagery in television programming and that may wield influence over their decision making process on issues concerning local and national politics as well as society in general.

Trump isn't the real problem. The real problem is SCOTUS.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/supreme-court-breathtakingly-radical-approach-120048391.html

And Congress has the solution.

Didn’t say Trump was the real problem.

The real problem is the decade long attack on the votes of black people by the Republicans with the tacit support of the majority of white people.

Guess you skipped reading the piece.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #58169 on: November 25, 2020, 01:04:07 PM »

Just as star anchor Sean Hannity and other high-profile Fox News figures were due to be deposed about their promotion of a bogus conspiracy theory about the death of former Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich, the cable network last month threw in the towel and moved to settle a lawsuit brought by Rich’s parents that threatened to expose a wealth of new details about one of its most embarrassing screw-ups in recent years.

The settlement between Fox News and Rich’s parents, Joel and Mary Rich, was publicly disclosed Tuesday, but with no details about the terms. But legal sources tell Yahoo News that the settlement includes a lucrative seven figure payment to the Rich family consistent with the size of payouts Fox News and related corporate entities have made in other cases that have brought them negative publicity.

The hastily arranged settlement also had the benefit of sparing Hannity and other Fox News figures — including network president Jay Wallace and contributor Newt Gingrich — the ordeal of being grilled under oath about claims in a series of broadcasts in May 2017 that blamed the leak of DNC emails to WikiLeaks on Rich. At the time, Hannity called a Fox News story attributing the DNC leak to Rich an “explosive” development that “might expose the single biggest fraud, lies, perpetrated on the American people by the media and the Democrats in our history.”

In fact, Fox News retracted the story after eight days and special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation declared the claims about Rich were false, concluding — along with the U.S. intelligence community and the FBI — that it was Russian military intelligence agents who had hacked the DNC and passed the party’s emails to WikiLeaks through an online persona called Guccifer 2.0.

https://news.yahoo.com/fox-paid-seven-figures-to-settle-lawsuit-over-bogus-seth-rich-conspiracy-story-003236858.html
Pages: 1 ... 3876 3877 [3878] 3879 3880 ... 4288