Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1642172 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #3600 on: September 29, 2018, 01:23:52 PM »

It's hard,  in an oligarchy,  to advance positions that are too Left,  too labor,  too much about checks on unfettered capitalism.   Bernie did a pretty good job and the party mainstream had an allergic reaction,  given their dependence on the oligarchs.  And the oligarchs and their tools in the party were horrified by Bernie's talk about campaign finance reform.   Good God that could lead to races where you can't buy a win.   

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: September 29, 2018, 01:27:16 PM »

The Dems tend to embrace less marketable concepts, like anthom protests and Black Lives Matter, and gender is fluid.

You can do that, but only after you gain the votes. Get the votes first, then implement the agenda.

The boys in the back room knew how to win elections. The ladies? Not so much.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: September 29, 2018, 01:53:06 PM »

The Dems are on the right side of history on most issues, and the one that underlies the real basis of this country, "All men are created equal"...

the Republicans at the core do not believe that.

What we are seeing now, is the result of an increasingly desperate White-conservative power structure to hold back the gates of demographic change, to delay the inevitable for as long as they can, to steal as much as they can, and despoil this country as much as they can, because at core they do not beleive that all men are created equal.

They are afraid of black men, brown men, yellow men, red men.

And we know what they feel about women.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: September 29, 2018, 03:06:05 PM »

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/24092018/climate-change-economic-damage-america-social-cost-carbon-china-india-russia

Economic costs of climate change will hit the US second hardest, after only India.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3604 on: September 29, 2018, 03:44:12 PM »

The Dems tend to embrace less marketable concepts, like anthom protests and Black Lives Matter, and gender is fluid.

You can do that, but only after you gain the votes. Get the votes first, then implement the agenda.

#MeToo and #BLM have been the drivng forces behind the special election victories. That is the base of the Democratic Party, like it or not.

Y’all may remember after the 2016 election the first analyses were over the lower turnout rate for black voters.

The party always tries to go “to the middle” and bring white working class voters BACK into the fold and that is a losing strategy.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: September 29, 2018, 04:41:18 PM »

#MeToo and #BLM have been the drivng forces behind the special election victories. That is the base of the Democratic Party, like it or not.

Y’all may remember after the 2016 election the first analyses were over the lower turnout rate for black voters.

The party always tries to go “to the middle” and bring white working class voters BACK into the fold and that is a losing strategy.

I understand.

You don't want white working class in the party.

Don't see how that's a loser.

The base is not yet established in the Democrat party. It want Kamaka Harris and Booker who brokered a deal, yesterday, btw.

It was a guy who spoke the GOP language.

The Democratic Party can do both. Include everyone, but it better get it's message clear, and whining incessantly is not the way to win.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3606 on: September 29, 2018, 05:15:06 PM »

I understand.

The base is not yet established in the Democrat party. It want Kamaka Harris and Booker who brokered a deal, yesterday, btw.

The Democratic Party can do both. Include everyone, but it better get it's message clear, and whining incessantly is not the way to win.

Whining incessantly? You mean like all those folk who voted for a Trump because of “economic anxiety?”

Yeah, they’re all in with the Dems.

It can include everyone but if it wants the folks who provide 90% of their bloc when they show up TO show up better stop saying they’re whining before hand and then complain they didn’t turn out in big enough numbers after you lose.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3607 on: September 29, 2018, 05:19:10 PM »

The nation’s 43rd president left office nine years ago in the midst of the worst economic crisis of the last half century. His foreign policy agenda had resulted in a series of horrific, expensive, and unending wars—one of which is now old enough to enlist itself. He sanctioned torture while wrapping his administration in a warm embrace of faith-based discrimination.

Yet the Dems rarely mention this stuff.
And barely capitalized on W's fiascos.
Instead during Obama's time you'd hear people on the Right actually say and believe that Obama was the worst president ever.

Always amazing how the Dems cannot articulate and advance a narrative.  So folks like McCain & Bolton could seriously talk about war with Iran.  Trump and the GOP could push through a giant tax cut for the rich (admittedly not popular now, as folks start to cotton on to who it benefits, what is likely to be cut, and the deficit hypocrisy).

The Dems never forcefully and decisively made the case that the GOP strategy of wars and tax cuts was horrible and disastrous.

Whenever anyone said what Bush had done wrong the GOP and the media said “blaming a Bush is not policy.”

There was a joke going around at 430 South Capitol Street if Obama walked on water the GOP would say he is trying to bankrupt the pleasure boat industry.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: September 29, 2018, 05:22:34 PM »

I understand.

Whining incessantly? You mean like all those folk who voted for a Trump because of “economic anxiety?”

It can include everyone but if it wants the folks who provide 90% of their bloc when they show up TO show up better stop saying they’re whining before hand and then complain they didn’t turn out in big enough numbers after you lose.

Nice spin, but you're once again assigning your own meaning to what I said.

The Dems need to craft a message that resonates with the majority of Americans. Endless complaining about how bad things are is not a messsage that takes one to the voting booth to vote for their future with you.

This isnt the same as saying you have no business complaining.

What do the Dems offer American voters?

barton

« Reply #3609 on: September 29, 2018, 05:51:40 PM »

https://youtu.be/puOfwvYcQF8

(mash-up of Samuel L.  Jackson in Pulp Fiction and Brent Kavanaugh in hearing)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3610 on: September 29, 2018, 06:27:13 PM »

I understand.

Nice spin, but you're once again assigning your own meaning to what I said.

The Dems need to craft a message that resonates with the majority of Americans. Endless complaining about how bad things are is not a messsage that takes one to the voting booth to vote for their future with you.

This isnt the same as saying you have no business complaining.

What do the Dems offer American voters?

Dems need to craft messages that resonate in the races they’re running in the districts where they’re running.

What is your overarching message for the Dems?

The GOP message is easy... fear and loathing of the other.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: September 29, 2018, 06:54:41 PM »

So...I describe the problem. And you want me to solve it, too?

Sorry, Larry.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: September 29, 2018, 07:01:50 PM »

Ray Guy would be proud.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3613 on: September 29, 2018, 08:42:56 PM »

So...I describe the problem. And you want me to solve it, too?

Sorry, Larry.

You described what you perceive to be a problem and I previously described a solution you rejected.

If you’ve got nothing to offer...

Meanwhile,

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 08:50:12 PM by LarryBnDC usetab Knicks12 »

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: September 29, 2018, 10:20:31 PM »

I think you're wrong. Handle it.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 4288