Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 2733

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 503763 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #2835 on: March 04, 2021, 04:00:12 AM »

Bambu,

I think it will be okay after we get everyone vaccinated. Just like with polio.

Facilitatorn,

We are making good progress, but I agree that it is not wise to reopen until people get vaccinated. And yes, unions are important. I agree that dreams take work to become real.

One thing that I keep thinking of is that I hope that people do not become institutionalized, and forget how to work and make an honest living. When the Russians got their freedom a lot of them had problems because they did not know how to do business and survive with capitalism. We in the USA are not as bad as was the case with Russia, but it is going to be a struggle none the less.

Right now would be a good time for people to map out their dreams, and make business plans, etc, and figure out what is important to them, so that they can have a great life when this crisis is over. People can study, and learn, and plan, and people can prepare for when this crisis is over.

It is going to get better. This crisis will pass, just like with polio.

Salute,

Tony V.

Good to dream, plan, set goals...gives life purpose.
Mandatory mask wearing by everyone for a month in my world made a huge difference.
NSW now 40+ days with no new community transmissions...returning travellers locked up in hotels.
Much more difficult in America though, 330million population and 50 states making their own rules.
We are being told that the vaccine, while effective in preventing serious covid sickness and death, is not absolute protection from becoming infected.
Social distancing and mask wearing are still being advised after vaccination.

Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: March 04, 2021, 06:24:25 AM »

"UK gets bossy with Australia over carbon emissions"...Sky News

Can't see any British warships in the China Sea supporting US, Taiwan, Australia etc against China yet.

Wonder whose bright idea it was to arm China after WW2?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:26:22 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: March 04, 2021, 06:53:31 AM »

---Two SUVs breached US-Mexico border in California – then crashed, burned in separate accidents---

Some really lousy drivers are coming to the US. Cant drive 10 miles without blowing up. Where did you get your license, Mexico?
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: March 04, 2021, 06:59:34 AM »

---Two SUVs breached US-Mexico border in California – then crashed, burned in separate accidents---

Some really lousy drivers are coming to the US. Cant drive 10 miles without blowing up. Where did you get your license, Mexico?

Saw one on my news...27 people in an SUV.
Crash with a truck or something...SUV driver drove into path of truck.
Cop said "People-smuggling".
Go woke, go broke.

barton

« Reply #2839 on: March 04, 2021, 09:31:31 AM »

House passes HR1 and George Floyd Justice in Policing Act.

This is a big fucking deal.

Starting to see some value in expelling Sen. Philip  Buster.   It's a good bill,  will help restore democracy.   

As for GOP -- TKTPS.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: March 04, 2021, 09:42:35 AM »

Not quite ready yet': Democrats won’t take up Biden immigration plan this month
A dismal whip count came back this week showing House leaders don’t yet have the votes to pass the bill on the floor.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/04/democrats-house-immigration-plan-473475
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: March 04, 2021, 10:45:33 AM »

Well, it's a BFD if it gets through the Senate and becomes law.

Good to see the Dems actually fighting back.
The GOP omnibus disenfranchisement schemes have been pretty blatant and undemocratic.  Can't let them constantly rig the system in their favor.

Some talk if they can't get 10 GOP votes (highly unlikely), they could do a piecemeal de-filibuster, by making voting rights only not subject to filibuster.  Of course once you start on that path, the filibuster will crumble before long.

Really they can try to make the case to 10+ GOPers that it's going to become law even if they have to dispense with the filibuster, so the GOP is better off negotiating and getting some concessions in exchange for some votes.  Not likely, but that's how things used to be done.  Then again, how likely is it that all 50 Dems are going to stay rock-solid on this?  Will Manchin agree to a voting rights exemption from filibuster?  The GOP almost always manages to keep all its ducks in a row, especially when it matters.  (with the notable exception of dead-man walking McCain not voting to kill Obamacare).  To me, this is the kind of vote where every senator needs to support their party and president.  Without exception. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: March 04, 2021, 11:00:55 AM »

Well, it's a BFD if it gets through the Senate and becomes law.
even it it does it will die in the Courts. We still have a Constitution.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: March 04, 2021, 11:05:02 AM »

..and our scholar to "teach us" its meaning.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: March 04, 2021, 11:31:23 AM »

..and our scholar to "teach us" its meaning.

"It" seems like an odd usage for Ward to have used, given that there are two bills, not one.

Or not, I suppose. Imprecision in language, with vague objections, tend to be his specialty.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: March 04, 2021, 11:45:31 AM »

I'm not sure how HR1 gets through the Senate. The value may be getting Senate Repubs in contested purply states on record as all for voter suppression. 

Hopefully DoJ in addition to investigating domestic terorism is fully staffed to fight the state by state initiatives which aim to solidify minority rule through voter suppression tactics. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: March 04, 2021, 11:58:54 AM »

One of my students tripped across the abstract for this 2014 paper and shared it in our stats discussion as something he wanted to explore more.

Given our ongoing coal discussions, I thought that its exposure of a link between spontaneous abortion and coal burning stoves was interesting. Obviously, this is not about coal plants, though one certainly is inclined to then dig further, but the point about folks using coal to heat homes has been made as a reason to continue to make sure coal is available.

This suggests that perhaps it is instead a reason to replace those heating mechanisms!

Seasonal ambient air pollution correlates strongly with spontaneous abortion in Mongolia
https://bmcpregnancychildbirth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2393-14-146
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: March 04, 2021, 12:03:19 PM »

Can someone ask Red what time the Trump inauguration is scheduled for.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: March 04, 2021, 12:31:03 PM »

3:16 would be my guess (as in John, 3:16).

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2849 on: March 04, 2021, 12:45:04 PM »

Red isn't in the WWG1WGA crew. He's straight up GOP mainstream.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 2733