Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4241 4242 [4243] 4244 4245 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1646880 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #63630 on: January 18, 2021, 10:54:06 PM »

This, in turn, is posted to Bambu, to explain some of why looking out for others is important to many of us:

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63631 on: January 18, 2021, 11:01:28 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #63632 on: January 18, 2021, 11:03:20 PM »

Say Josh, who published that insulting cartoon?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #63633 on: January 18, 2021, 11:04:20 PM »

A key moment was when Trump said there were good people on both sides, referring to a neo-Nazi march (white folks chanting Jews will not replace us) that resulted in violence.  A clear message that Trump supported them and that public racism was acceptable.

Bringing Stave Bannon in as a key adviser, an alt-right fave from the right-wing Breitbart news site was a message to the racist right that being polite and covering up your racism wasn't needed anymore.

Years before being elected, Trump got his name into US politics by constantly claiming Obama was an illegitimate president (and American) really born in Kenya.

As the insurrection was fizzling out, Trump told the very white and racist traitors that they were "very special people" and that he "loved them."  And if you don't think that was a racist mob, ask some of the darker Capitol Police how many times they were called n****r that day.

Other incidents like disparaging a judge because he was Mexican, calling Mexicans rapists and criminals (with maybe a few good people in there somewhere), the persistent rhetoric of building a wall to keep brown people out, the Muslim travel ban, designating African nations as "shithole countries"  etc.

There -- a mere 9 examples of Trump supporting racism.   All of which made it clear that expressing racism openly was A-okay again.  The President of the US engaged in blatant racism against brown and black people and his followers ran with that.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #63634 on: January 18, 2021, 11:29:48 PM »

There is a new book coming out of his best tweets.

I had a thin book of Nixon tape quotes set as poetry.
I'm sure Trump's tweets will be on par with that.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #63635 on: January 18, 2021, 11:34:07 PM »

“Jus­tice” for black Amer­ica can­not be achieved by fram­ing it solely through the dis­torted lens of the
deaths of George Floyd, Bre­onna Tay­lor and oth­ers in fa­tal po­lice en­coun­ters. For every un­armed black Amer­i­can killed by the po­lice, hun­dreds are killed in neigh­bor­hood homi­cides.

Those who call for the de­fund­ing of po­lice de­part­ments, such as lead­ers of the of­fi­cial Black Lives Mat­ter or­ga­ni­za­tion, are silent about this in­conve­nient truth. They have a nar­ra­tive and can­not let the facts get in the way.

Their story is that the whole of Amer­i­can his­tory is stained and the whole of Amer­ica must be over­thrown.

When cit­i­zens de­clare that they sup­port Black Lives Mat­ter, do they share its op­po­si­tion to the nu­clear fam­ily, its ob­jec­tive of abol­ish­ing the po­lice, and its view that the Chris­t­ian cross is a sym­bol of white su­premacy?

These po­si­tions of the or­ga­ni­za­tion—language that has largely been scrubbed from its web­site—in no way im­prove the lives of black Amer­i­cans. They give up on black America and en­cour­age its need­less suf­fer­ing.

Like all Amer­i­cans, blacks have tri­umphed over their cir­cumstances only when they have adopted bour­geois virtues such as hard work, re­spect for learn­ing, self-dis­ci-pline, faith and per-sonal re­spon­si­bil­ity. In the 19th cen­tury, Freder­ick Dou­glass found read­ing to be the key to his own per­sonal lib­er­a­tion amid slavery, and he un­der­stood that whites de­lib­erately with­held lit­er­acy from blacks pre­cisely be­cause it was so valu­able. Bour­geois val­ues drove blacks to build the pow­er­ful re­li­gious, fra­ter­nal, and other vol­un­tary as­so­ci­a­tions that helped them thrive in the worst days of Jim Crow and cul­ti­vated the es­sen­tial virtues in the next gen­er­a­tion.

Tellingly, left­ist elites teach their own chil­dren the val­ues of work­ing and study­ing hard even as they en­cour­age be­hav­ior among blacks that will make sure they re­main un­com­pet­i­tive but “au­then­tic.” By the time young blacks to­day dis­cover, as did the slaves of Douglass’s time, that freedom un­der­stood as “do what­ever you feel like” is no way to build a worth­while life, it will be too late. The fruits of the civil-rights move­ment’s hard la­bor—teach­ing the young to be so self-dis­ci-plined that they were able to re­sist re­spond-ing in kind to ha­tred and abuse from whites—will have been lost.

We must turn away from the present course, which preaches de­spair rather than hope. Black achieve­ment must be glo­ri­fied. The cru­ci­fixion of black Amer­ica by the rad­i­cal left must halt. There is a grander, more fruit­ful fu­ture for us all.

Excerpted from the Wall Street Journal article Jan 15, 2021-
How the Left Hijacked Civil Rights

authored by Robert Woodson, Sr.and Joshua Mitchell
Mr. Wood­son, a vet­eran of the civilrights move­ment, is founder and pres­i­dent of the Wood­son Cen­ter and au­thor, most re­cently, of “Lessons From the Least of These: The Wood­son Prin­ci­ples.”
Mr. Mitchell is a Wash­ing-ton Fel­low at the Clare-mont Cen­ter for the Amer­i­can Way of Life and au­thor of “Amer­ican Awak­en­ing: Identity Pol­i­tics and Other Af­flic­tions of Our Time.”   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 11:40:08 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63636 on: January 18, 2021, 11:41:58 PM »

www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2021/jan/19/pink-seesaws-across-us-mexico-border-named-design-of-the-year-2020

Not enough of a reason to keep the wall, but still pretty cool.

For some reason the link doesn't work for me.

remove the "i" before http

EDIT:  Jeez that was an epic ordeal lol

I tried to, no success.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 12:44:17 AM by josh »
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63637 on: January 18, 2021, 11:42:32 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2021/1/18/2010134/-Parler-Lives-Again

It’s gone from covert Russian op to overt Russian op, just like the rest of America’s conservative movement.

Red has mastered Russian whataboutism and bothsiderism to the point where they must now be considered his first language.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #63638 on: January 18, 2021, 11:46:16 PM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63639 on: January 19, 2021, 12:27:23 AM »

This, in turn, is posted to Bambu, to explain some of why looking out for others is important to many of us:

I tried that in high school, then the workplace, being nice to everyone, helping everyone...where did it get me?
Answer: Taken advantage of, treated like a fool...way too nice was I...way too "soft and gentle"...too polite.
Wasn't until I ignored mommy dearest's teaching and made a nail rod in high school and used it on a bully who was hitting me from behind in class that I got peace and 'respect'.
Same in the workplace...until I kicked a supervisor from behind as he walked away having hit me with a heavy computer binder because he felt like it because he was angry at having to get up from his desk and serve a customer after the office was closed to the public and I hadn't known the answer.
I was called "coward" by women in one workplace for not joining the posse and chasing a bank robber, amateur with a note not a gun...into the bowels of the building. Well he could've had a gun or knife hidden.
Branded as "anti-social" in the workplace for not going to the pub after work with the "boys"...but rather going home to new wife.
Pretty, young wife or ugly drunk pub boys?....gee, that was a difficult decision.

Anyway, your man growing the corn only gave his neighbours good corn to make his better.
He was looking after himself.

Everyone looks after themselves first in this world,
Mother Teresa-ilk are probably exceptions.

I look out for others, neighbours, etc.
But no way I'm any automatic good Samaritan.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 12:41:07 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #63640 on: January 19, 2021, 12:40:45 AM »

It's pretty clear you've never been a parent. How you've remained a husband is beyond me.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63641 on: January 19, 2021, 12:43:01 AM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63642 on: January 19, 2021, 12:45:55 AM »

www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2021/jan/19/pink-seesaws-across-us-mexico-border-named-design-of-the-year-2020

Not enough of a reason to keep the wall, but still pretty cool.

For some reason the link doesn't work for me.

remove the "i" before http

EDIT:  Jeez that was an epic ordeal lol

I tried to, no success.

Works now.

But if you had just moused over it from the http on, it would have worked, anyway.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63643 on: January 19, 2021, 01:17:03 AM »

It's pretty clear you've never been a parent. How you've remained a husband is beyond me.

Not a parent, not for the want of trying, many miscarriages.
With women still dying in childbirth, I wasn't very unhappy not being a parent.
Now, seeing how my friends are spoken to and treated by their adult children, I am...as you say in America..."super excited" I wasn't.
The neighbour's children spent as much time in our place as they did their own.

Husband?

Not a handyman, not a professional man, no big muscles, no tertiary education, no high income, not tall dark and handsome...on the plus side of average I would say.
Don't drink much, don't smoke, don't do drugs, always clean, always smell nice, ...wash, iron, cook, clean, blow dry hair well, assist dyeing hair well, fetch and carry,  very very slow to anger, always had a job, worked hard, always home, always available as chauffeur, etc.
Each woman makes her own decisions...as to what she wants in a man, then a husband.
I believe I got lucky.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 01:23:43 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #63644 on: January 19, 2021, 01:49:03 AM »

It’s balanced by how terribly unlucky you’ve been in the brains department. Still, one can’t have it all.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 4241 4242 [4243] 4244 4245 ... 4288