Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2088 2089 [2090] 2091 2092 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1658098 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #31335 on: April 10, 2020, 03:51:29 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/schiff-sens-feinstein-harris-announce-9-11-style-commission-to-probe-coronavirus

“The federal government was unprepared to confront the coronavirus pandemic and economic crisis, let alone both at the same time," Harris said Friday. “The commission needs to take a holistic approach to oversight, and cannot leave out an analysis of the disturbing disparity in prevention and health outcomes in the Black community.”

How have we shown to be unprepared on the economic crisis?  I think the opposite is true.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 03:55:17 PM by kiidcarter8 »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #31336 on: April 10, 2020, 03:57:16 PM »

Governor Newsom just said that FEMA and others are working with local restaurants here in California to deliver 3 meals per day to our Senior Citizens, along with groups like Meals on Wheels. So, it helps the restaurants to be able to work, and it helps our Seniors. Our Seniors are our most vulnerable, and it is good to have more services to help our Seniors, and also it is good to supply some work to help to keep our local restaurants in business.

And I would assume that Thai restaurants, and Italian restaurants, and Mexican restaurants, etc, would all be included, to provide more choices for our Seniors on meals.

One good restaurant in my neighborhood is the Guadalajara restaurant, and they need to work so they can stay in business, and they can deliver tacos and beer to our Senior Citizens. Restaurants are allowed to deliver alcohol now because of the crisis. So, they can order tacos and beer for delivery. And the restaurant actually has a really good menu, and I love the shrimp cocktails.

Link...

http://www.taqueriasguadalajara.com/

Salute,

Tony V.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31337 on: April 10, 2020, 04:00:04 PM »

A reporter just framed a question -"How does opening up the economy on May 1 change the model for deaths, given the model had mitigation through 5/31?"

The May 1 was a total arbitrary figure.
(edit -  not arbitrary - end of the 30-day period - my bad)

Trump:  "Staying at home leads to a different kind of death, perhaps, but it leads to death also.  So its a big decision...like I said.  Its the biggest decision I will ever make"

I guess this is what they mean when they say Trump "doesn't take this virus seriously".  Jeez.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 04:21:48 PM by kiidcarter8 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31338 on: April 10, 2020, 04:07:03 PM »

Governor Newsom just said that FEMA and others are working with local restaurants here in California to deliver 3 meals per day to our Senior Citizens, along with groups like Meals on Wheels. So, it helps the restaurants to be able to work, and it helps our Seniors. Our Seniors are our most vulnerable, and it is good to have more services to help our Seniors, and also it is good to supply some work to help to keep our local restaurants in business.

And I would assume that Thai restaurants, and Italian restaurants, and Mexican restaurants, etc, would all be included, to provide more choices for our Seniors on meals.

One good restaurant in my neighborhood is the Guadalajara restaurant, and they need to work so they can stay in business, and they can deliver tacos and beer to our Senior Citizens. Restaurants are allowed to deliver alcohol now because of the crisis. So, they can order tacos and beer for delivery. And the restaurant actually has a really good menu, and I love the shrimp cocktails.

Link...

http://www.taqueriasguadalajara.com/

Salute,

Tony V.

Good post. T.  Do they deliver to Jersey?

Your governor is suing the U S of A.  Whats up with that?  Are you guys seceding?

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31339 on: April 10, 2020, 04:08:19 PM »

My guess is Levin is correct - in that businesses (churches and schools as well) - after careful thought - WILL in fact be opening sooner than now being projected by the understandably careful masses.  And in states where not allowed, citizens will ask why they are waiting.
Fortunately, not everyone making those decisions has an interest in getting Trump reelected, and those decisions will hopefully follow medical guidance. Unlike you, most.churches and schools care more for parishioners and students than the reelection odds of your DEAR LEADER.

Didn't need the massive number of ventilators demanded.

Won't see the staggering number of deaths projected.
The social distancing Trump resisted.and.wants to 2and has been effective. But.ending them too soon just to support Trump's poll numbers would be a huge mistake, and might well result in more deaths and more needed ventilators.

And now WILL see the economy "open" when reasonable, despite outcries from certain groups.
Hopefully, despite the outcries of people like you and our sciencephobic, solipsistic narcissist in chief to open the economy before medically reasonable to try to help Republican chances.in 2020.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31340 on: April 10, 2020, 04:12:40 PM »

Would Trump opening the economy (it would be gradual, as you surely know) and seeing it be a total failure actually hinder his re-election effort?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31341 on: April 10, 2020, 04:19:19 PM »

Trump's finishing line today:

"The American people have been so disciplined...It's been my honor to be their president...I have said it before, I'll say it agaln - it has been my great honor....I have a big decision coming up - and I only hope to God that it's the right decision.  But it will be based on the input of many talented people, many smart people - and people that love our country.  Thank you all very much, thank you".

Honest.

Presidential.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31342 on: April 10, 2020, 04:29:08 PM »

Ms Alcindor once again embarrasses herself  - (read comments)

https://twitter.com/jason_howerton/status/1248694511238295554

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31343 on: April 10, 2020, 04:38:31 PM »

Would Trump opening the economy (it would be gradual, as you surely know) and seeing it be a total failure actually hinder his re-election effort?

http://www.emptywheel.net/2020/04/10/what-a-reopening-the-economy-story-would-look-like/

Implement coast to coast testing, wait three weeks, and call me in the morning.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #31344 on: April 10, 2020, 04:51:41 PM »

"The American people have been so disciplined...It's been my honor to be their president...I have said it before, I'll say it agaln - it has been my great honor....I have a big decision coming up - and I only hope to God that it's the right decision.  But it will be based on the input of many talented people, many smart people - and people that love our country.  Thank you all very much, thank you".

Honest.

Presidential.
You are very, very easily impressed.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #31345 on: April 10, 2020, 04:55:52 PM »

Long term planning and thinking is not his strong suit.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #31346 on: April 10, 2020, 05:00:01 PM »

News Item

Millions of Americans who don’t earn enough income to file tax returns can now claim their one-time stimulus payments by filing a free, basic online form with the Internal Revenue Service, the agency said Friday.
The IRS has arranged with commercial tax-preparation firms, including TurboTax maker Intuit Inc., H&R Block Inc. and TaxAct Inc., to provide ways for these people to file bare-bones tax returns through IRS.gov and commercial tax-prep websites to receive their payments.
The payments of $1,200 per adult and $500 per child under 17 are part of the economic-relief law Congress passed last month in response to the coronavirus pandemic, and money will start going out through direct deposits next week. Payments phase out for individuals with more than $75,000 in income and married couples with more than $150,000.

The new option for low-income households is available as part of Free Fillable Forms at IRS.gov. After setting up an account with an email address and password, the non-filer must provide only relevant names, address, Social Security number or numbers and information on eligible dependents.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/irs-adds-ways-for-low-earners-to-claim-stimulus-payments-11586533870?mod=mhp

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31347 on: April 10, 2020, 05:04:04 PM »

Honest.

Presidential.

and I understand some of you being occasionally impressed, including today, while being unwilling to make any kind of even half turn toward accepting a second Trump term

barton

« Reply #31348 on: April 10, 2020, 05:18:48 PM »

Rather than answer each post,  I will just point out that vaccine gives herd immunity with far fewer deaths than just having all social restrictions lifted and making sure everyone licks a shopping cart handle.  Yes,  Guayaquil,  Ecuador did it the old fashioned way,  and it meant bodies set out in the streets because morticians couldn't keep up.   

There are ways to shrink an economy without killing it,  but so far we have not discovered how to raise the dead.   And this isn't flu that picks off just moribund patients already at the ends of their lives.   Some of us here are probably fair game for Covid-19 and have some years left in us... let's see a show of hands who wants to volunteer for a herd immunity campaign old-school.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31349 on: April 10, 2020, 05:46:12 PM »

Nobody

And that wasnt what Levin was saying
Pages: 1 ... 2088 2089 [2090] 2091 2092 ... 4288