Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 920 921 [922] 923 924 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 913544 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #13815 on: October 21, 2020, 03:13:09 AM »

I’m withholding judgement on Rose.

When we have an opening day roster I’ll have opinions on the sense of what he’s done based on past performance (so far, highish marks on coaching staff) and when we’ve seen twenty or so games, I’ll be ready to say wether or not it’s workable, working, and why or why not.

Trump’s $15 million withdrawal from his Chinese slush fund, combined with his 60 minutes flame out, is going to have a heavier impact on the race than Emails Part II: Russian Boogaloo.

If it distracts from the violence perpetrated by trump flunkies at DOJ, HHS, USPS, and radical terrorist state legislatures, that’s all the Hunter jiggery-pokery will do to help trump.

There’s a blinding practice from the Byzantine empire that would be entirely appropriate for Louis DeJoy.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13816 on: October 21, 2020, 03:27:38 AM »

Charlotte gets #8, #27, right to swap picks with the 2023 Dallas pick, whenever it materializes with their closest lower pick in the same round if they have one, DSJ and any of our team option guys. We get #3 and Rozier .

Why on earth would CHA do that?
They drop from #5 to 8 and swap interesting solid Rozier for marginal Jr. Smith.
And all they get is a very late 1st, and a pick swap that is likely to be worthless and a guy we don't want.  Just not hapening.

Besides who are we targeting at #5?  Wiseman?  Avidja?  Okongwu?
Hayes and Halliburton stock has risen last few weeks.

Cleveland gets the #8, the pick in the 30’s, right to swap picks with the 2023 Dallas pick, whenever it materializes with their closest lower pick in the same round if they have one, and Reggie Bullock. We get #5 and Dante Exum.

Again, don't see the benefit for CLE.  Knix otoh would move up 3 draft slots and would complete a full house of failed lottery PG's (Burke, Muddy, Smith Jr, Franc, Exum)
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13817 on: October 21, 2020, 07:51:01 AM »

Charlotte gets #8, #27, right to swap picks with the 2023 Dallas pick, whenever it materializes with their closest lower pick in the same round if they have one, DSJ and any of our team option guys. We get #3 and Rozier .

Why on earth would CHA do that?
They drop from #5 to 8 and swap interesting solid Rozier for marginal Jr. Smith.
And all they get is a very late 1st, and a pick swap that is likely to be worthless and a guy we don't want.  Just not hapening.

Besides who are we targeting at #5?  Wiseman?  Avidja?  Okongwu?
Hayes and Halliburton stock has risen last few weeks.

Cleveland gets the #8, the pick in the 30’s, right to swap picks with the 2023 Dallas pick, whenever it materializes with their closest lower pick in the same round if they have one, and Reggie Bullock. We get #5 and Dante Exum.

Again, don't see the benefit for CLE.  Knix otoh would move up 3 draft slots and would complete a full house of failed lottery PG's (Burke, Muddy, Smith Jr, Franc, Exum)

All good questions.

From the Charlotte side of it they get lesser $ commitment in Smith.  Take Ro off their books.  And they get the extra pick.

We get into top 5 - and in our view there may actually BE a top five - Ball, Edwards, Avdija, Wiseman, Hayes/Haliburton.

And of course get the upgrade to Rozier, my guess being this would have to be somewhat green lighted by Thibs

Another positive is you drop your interest in Paul/Westbrook.  A further residual question is what then to do about FVV (my guess being he would still be a valuable get)
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

FWK00

• View Profile
« Reply #13818 on: October 22, 2020, 01:45:39 AM »

Agreeing with FWK00 and Kam, I’m happy to avoid the top 2. I like Ball, Edwards, Ajdiva, & Okongwu, and Wiseman as immediate difference makers.

Skipping GS and Minny, Charlotte, Chicago, and Cleveland round out the top 5. I don’t have a deal to make for Chicago, but Charlotte and Cleveland seem to have potentially plausible trades to propose.

Charlotte gets #8, #27, right to swap picks with the 2023 Dallas pick, whenever it materializes with their closest lower pick in the same round if they have one, DSJ and any of our team option guys. We get #3 and Rozier.

Any more than that, I’d be reluctant to trade up from #8.

I think if we trade for a pick, it will be for a specific player and not a higher spot.

Cleveland has nothing we should want really.

Charlotte needs to get rid of Rozier mostly because he's been outplayed and thus became a very expensive second banana.  Just another PG for the taking.

The problem is they  have other [irredeemably] bad investments they will want to bundle. I have no problem with Rozier per se but I don't see why we would do it.

I'm hoping that Bullock and Gibson survive whatever wheeling and dealing go down.  The best of that veteran bunch, IMO.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #13819 on: October 22, 2020, 02:00:14 AM »

It's kind of ridiculous how far away the draft is.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13820 on: October 22, 2020, 04:25:24 AM »

I'm hoping that Bullock and Gibson survive whatever wheeling and dealing go down.  The best of that veteran bunch, IMO.

Taj is probably staying as he's a respected vet and a Thibs guy who can help with the lockerroom.  Makes sense to not pick up his option and then resign him for less.

Bullock a good vet with some 3&D potential.
Mo Hark could be back as well.  I think he can expand his offense if permitted.
Solid role player.

I expect a decision will be made on ELF after we see if the draft or FA brings in a starting level PG.  Elf is a quality backup PG, but we also have Franc and Jr. Smith for that role, until one is moved.  So for now, unclear if/where Elf fits.  He's somewhat Rondoesque.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13821 on: October 22, 2020, 06:01:17 AM »

http://youtu.be/PFIprOQyZP0

This is recent workout video of Haliburton. I’m sharing it because I’ve seen from his college footage and read a bunch about his concerning shot form and how that made him a midrange non-factor along with helping his defender close out on outside looks. Apparently he noticed it as well. In this video his release point is significantly higher from all over the court. It’s not the Devin Vassell catapult by any means, nor even the FSU stroke that was so magical. It’s still out in front, but in a normal range requiring a lot less space. Some guys shoot out front because it lets them have a shot pass and fake that all start with the same motion so the choice can be delayed, giving another moment for things to develop and force a smidgen more guesswork from the defenders.

There were three knocks on Haliburton after his play stopped, four if you count injury history. Shooting form, handle, and man defense mainly to do with stance. He’s done good things to his shot. The other two have to wait until competition occurs.

I believe a player can work on his handle, his stance, along with strength and fitness as they progress as a pro.

I’m moving Haliburton into that top group. He’s the least physically talented of the 3 pgs in the group, but he’s the most mentally complete of the 3.

Okongwu Wiseman
Deni
Vassell Edwards
Ball Hayes Haliburton

It’s an eight player draft. None of these guys would break my heart. Getting a crack at one, I wouldn’t give up much on top of that for a crack at another. We’d do very well to add any one of these, though each takes us in a different direction. It would take a fuck ton to get me to trade down.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13822 on: October 22, 2020, 09:23:08 AM »

Have to assume that Ball and Edwards go in the Top 5, likely Top 3.  And I don't see the benefit of Wiseman, since Mitch is one of our few yute assets and it's no longer a Big Man league. 

The only Bigs really impacting their teams:
Jurkic who is a terrific passer and shooter, which is basically a Stretch 5 or Point-C formula which Wiseman doesn't profile into. 
Embiid who is pretty unique. 
Gobert who is a force on D.
Then maybe Brook Lopez who has a pretty unique role as a 3-point shooter and drop-back rim protector.

Besides there's a definite C glut, so it's not hard to add in a quality backup C on the cheap to work woth and backup Mitch (Myers Leopard; Dieng; Len; Kanter; Noel; Biyombo; Luke Kornet; Baynes, Javale; Taj; O'Quinn the o'mighty eskimo, etc)

Okongwu, Vassell, Deni, Halliburton, Hayes?
That's good pickings.
I don't know Hayes at all.
But that's my order for the other 4.  Though maybe Ty H 3rd and Avidja 4th. Prioritizing shooting.

Agree we get a good player.
Move up for Ball or Edwards or Okongwu if you project any of them as all-stars.
Though getting into the Top 3 will cost.  A Top 5 for Okongwu/Hayes might not take much if another team wants vassal or Halliburton anyway.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13823 on: October 22, 2020, 09:51:54 AM »

Have to assume that Ball and Edwards go in the Top 5, likely Top 3.  And I don't see the benefit of Wiseman, since Mitch is one of our few yute assets and it's no longer a Big Man league. 

Jurkic who is a terrific passer and shooter, which is basically a Stretch 5 or Point-C formula which Wiseman doesn't profile into. 
Then maybe Brook Lopez who has a pretty unique role as a 3-point shooter and drop-back rim protector.

I'd have to say that no longer a Big Man league stuff is pretty much cliche. No longer a mediocre big man league perhaps, but then, never was.

Rockets scheme exposed as trash. A big not mentioned above impacting his team a wee bit, currently sporting a 2019-2020 championship ring.
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13824 on: October 22, 2020, 10:22:38 AM »

Charlotte "needing" to get rid of Rozier is a bit ridiculous.

Solid player.

Just popping Rozier off the roster does them no good.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:27:27 AM by kidcarter8 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13825 on: October 22, 2020, 10:26:13 AM »

.423/.407/.874 shooting for Rozier

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13826 on: October 22, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »

I'd have to say that no longer a Big Man league stuff is pretty much cliche. No longer a mediocre big man league perhaps, but then, never was.

Rockets scheme exposed as trash. A big not mentioned above impacting his team a wee bit, currently sporting a 2019-2020 championship ring.

There are a dozen others that should be added to his EFFECTIVE BIG MEN list

And a dozen more after that as important contributors

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13827 on: October 22, 2020, 10:35:45 AM »

It's kind of ridiculous how far away the draft is.

More pressing matters for the nation first

But I appreciate all the draft talk, folks

Take a look at Tyler Terry and R J Hampton with an open mind.

And of course pay attention on any new of who we have interviewed.

bodiddley

• View Profile
Cliche or Axiomatic?
« Reply #13828 on: October 22, 2020, 10:40:23 AM »

No Longer a Big Man league isn't the same as the Danamantbee extreme of No Big Man at all all game.  But teams do go extended stretches playing small without a true C.  And with teams running PnR's overandover or courting 5 man shooting lineups it can be difficult for a traditional C to defend.  While Big Men posting has become rare.

As for me, I'd rather have Harden and Capela than Harden and Westbrook.
Capela defends and gets you some easy buckets.  Makes Harden's job easier.
And late game, interior D and easy buckets are at a premium.

I look at a talented young Big like Ayton, who would be a monster 15 years ago but is adapting himself and learning to play in this new era.  And WiseMan is said to be a level below Ayton.  A quality player, but cna he be the 2nd bets player on a contender?  I'll be interested to see if any team can win big with a C as their best or 2nd best player.

One of the wonders of Mitch is that he can both guard on the perimeter and defend the rim.  I've never seen a guy block so many 3's.  But he also fouls the 3-point shooter more than he should.  Most of the blocks on close-outs; fouls getting faked off his feet when guarding outside.  So should be fixable.  And Mitch is terrific on rim-running, lobs and putbacks.  So if Mitch can develop and progress he could be a gem.  Basically Mitch has that Capela game with more length and mobiliy.

Lotta talk that GSW wants to get Dwight.  A vet who is high energy, willing to play short minutes, will defend.  But I expect they are thinking of around 15-20 mins a night.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13829 on: October 22, 2020, 10:55:55 AM »

Should be interesting to watch D'Antoni's new team and if he can get back to the summit.
Pages: 1 ... 920 921 [922] 923 924 ... 1848