Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1653 1654 [1655] 1656 1657 ... 1852

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 1020077 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

elephant

• View Profile
Re: Eastern Conference...YIKES
« Reply #24811 on: September 03, 2022, 11:11:06 AM »

Reality?

Yet another transitional season.

A playoff team?

The Positive Pussy in me says...NEXT QUESTION. 

Come on, Chip. You just wrote another loonnnng missive about your team. And still you give way to the dull careful restraint, the joyless prognostications of how everyone is just too good for the Knicks this year but we're building something and....

Fuck that.

We haven't played a fucking game. You say you're a Positive Pussy. Then be one!

The Knicks are deep! Their talent is rising! Of course they're getting into the fucking playoffs!

Now if I believe that, you damn sure should.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #24812 on: September 03, 2022, 11:57:42 AM »

You guys are trying to plug too many players into meaningful minutes.  This is another reason a Mitchell deal made sense - it would have thinned the herd.

Even with your desired cutdowns

3 players times 30 minutes   -   90
3 players at 24    -    72

Leaves just 78 minutes for the other 7 guys.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 12:15:28 PM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24813 on: September 03, 2022, 12:29:37 PM »

The Knicks are deep! Their talent is rising! Of course they're getting into the fucking playoffs!

I have us potentially FIFTH in the East .
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: Eastern Conference...YIKES
« Reply #24814 on: September 03, 2022, 02:21:49 PM »

Reality?

Yet another transitional season.

A playoff team?

The Positive Pussy in me says...NEXT QUESTION. 

Come on, Chip. You just wrote another loonnnng missive about your team. And still you give way to the dull careful restraint, the joyless prognostications of how everyone is just too good for the Knicks this year but we're building something and....

Fuck that.

We haven't played a fucking game. You say you're a Positive Pussy. Then be one!

Now if I believe that, you damn sure should.

🦋🦋🐌🦋🦋
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 09:09:16 PM by chipstern »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24815 on: September 04, 2022, 03:00:41 AM »

Boston and Chicago have become thinner through injury and should be set aside till they try to do something to address their situations.

When I look at the teams ahead of us, at no point or position do I see size or mobility on our roster causing problems in coverage. Skill maybe no, but we have the bodies to compete.

Potentially scoring can come from four spots with real good cleanup men in the pivot. Any opponent weakness can potentially be exploited by this Knicks team as currently constructed.

Who ever is the other wing guy with Brunson and Barrett, who I am confident will both be here at the start of the season, needs to be the one to cover the alpha guard on the other team. I think it will be Grimes, though Quickley and Reddish are both possibilities giving us different looks.

At the moment I would have us at sixth through tenth in the conference depending on how things break.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #24816 on: September 04, 2022, 04:38:42 PM »

So I am not alone in my estimation of your New York Knicks.

Chip I think it's now pretty clear that you're going to have to turn in your Positive Pussy membership card, as well as the matching coffee mug.

Hopefully you'll again come to your senses, leave behind your realm of dull lamentation, and apply again for membership. At such time however, you may have to suffer a penalty, say a tattoo of Marc Berman on your left buttocks, before readmission.

chipstern

• View Profile
Tetering Between Nothingness & Eternity
« Reply #24817 on: September 04, 2022, 09:06:51 PM »

So I am not alone in my estimation of your New York Knicks.

Chip I think it's now pretty clear that you're going to have to turn in your Positive Pussy membership card, as well as the matching coffee mug.

Hopefully you'll again come to your senses, leave behind your realm of dull lamentation, and apply again for membership. At such time however, you may have to suffer a penalty, say a tattoo of Marc Berman on your left buttocks, before readmission.

It has been suggested that Chip AINTITASHAMAN Stern has gone over to the DARK SIDE OF THE Farce

That this Forum's most reliable POSITIVE PUSSY now embraces the despondency of a NEGATIVE NANCY. 

Worth remembering how consistently I was oppossed to any and all [well, MOST] iterations of Danny Ainge's Donovan Mitchell shake down.  Pointing out how the price would decimate us, how DM's talents notwithstanding, that I didn't see him as a good match for Brunson, least ways, that he was a ball dominant 6'1" player who wanted/needed the ball in his hand, and who did not have the size and defensive acumen/intensity of Quentin Grimes, whom Ainge plainly coveted, and whom I thought a better complimentary piece next to Brunson, even though Mitchell's offensive game is obviously far more proven and advanced.   

The package that Ainge wanted?  For Donovan Mitchell?  Mmmmmm...nah.  For Damian Lillard...okay, now you're talking.  But surely not if we give up 3-4 unprotected Knicks picks, RJ, Quentin, Obi and IQ. 

Some would suggest, not Elephant and Facil, that I have over-estimated our core of youth, let alone our front line vets, Randle, Fournier and D-Rose. 

So there's that. 

So, Elephant suggests I have gone over to THE DARK SIDE OF THE FARCE, and embraced Negative Nanciehood. 

Mmmmmm...not really. 

I don't think it is defeatist to look at what I deem the TOP TIER and the SECOND TIER and think, damn, the East is a MOTHERFUCKER. 

Top Tier

Milwauke
Boston
Philidelphia
Brooklyn
Miami
Atlanta
Cleveland
Toronto

Second Tier

Chicago
New York
Charlotte
Washington

Indiana
Orlando
Detroit

Teams 6-12 seem to be on roughly the same plane, though an argument could be made that the Hawks, Cavs and Raptors might be more talented on the front end, if not depth wise. 

Hell, even those teams on the bottom, the Pacers, Magic and Pistons, have added significant talent. 

So, ...

I believe we have the depth and talent to be in the hunt for the 6-through-10 spots PlayIn spots. 

HOWEVER?

While I have not fully embraced the world view of CarlosCast-a-NADA as regards the capabilities of Mike "Mister Interim" Miller and the shortcomings of Tom "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow" Thibodeau, some questions surely remain. 

HOW WILL Thibs Evolve? 

CLEARLY, Thibs has established a REAL KULTUR, which has given us divergent results in the past two years, though in all fairness, I don't believe we can ascribe too much credit or blame.  There is good luck and there is dumb luck, and We/Thibs have had their share of both. 

FOR ME, it's an open question how Thibs will respond to the arrival of Jalen Brunson and Isaiah Hartenstein, who offer a significant uptick of talent and possibilities at PG and Center he has not had in the past two seasons. 

We know about Tom's defensive focus and acumen, but Jalen and Isaiah, let alone Quentin Grimes, allow Thibs to add some new wrinkles to our offense and to create a more balanced game on both sides of the ball. 

WILL THIBS CONTINUE TO PLAY Julius & RJ 35-40 minutes a night so that they are all out of gas in the fourth quarter? 

WILL THIBS FULLY EMBRACE the youth and talent of Obi, IQ and Cam, or wll he ride his faves into dust?

WILL THIBS EVOLVE A MORE HEADY APPROACH to the deployment of JR, RJ and EF, maximizing their strengths, and minimizing, or least ways, disguising their shortcoming? 

WILL THIBS FULLY EMPOWER Jalen Brunson to make this HIS TEAM? 

Thibs is STUBBORN as a motherfucker, but he ain't STOOPID. 

Leon Rose has gotten rid of his Vets Crutch, and gifted him a beaucoup of prescient puppies and said MAKE IT WORK.  The notion that Thibs does not develop youth?  I don't think that is fair.  But he does tend to be overly reliant on certain options. 

ANYWAY....

You get the point. 

The whole trade Julius and Evan feeding frenzy?  I think it is crap. 

RJ?  Has raised his game, and has NOW been anointed as the future face of the Knicks. 

Robinson-Randle-Barrett-Grimes-Brunson has the potential to be a tough starting five, BUT IT IS ON THIBS TO DEVELOP THEIR CHEMISTRY AND NOT SIMPLY SHOEHORN THEM INTO A RIGID CONCEPT, but create a more organic, fluid, MODERN approach, and to NOT HAVE THE PUPPIES LOOKING OVER THEIR SHOULDERS WAITING FOR THE HOOK. 

We have talent.  We have depth.  And yet we are all holding our breath, waiting to see how Tom Thibodeau adapts to his primary colors and his new hues on the canvas that is the 2022-23 Knicks. 

I'll Be WATCHING. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 09:10:38 PM by chipstern »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24818 on: September 04, 2022, 09:23:23 PM »

Two things, it is one thing to be either a new rook, new young player, or new vet to Thibs. Of the three the new vet will have a shortcut to minutes. We saw it with Evan and we will see it with Brunson this season and probably Hartenstein as well.

Our kids have now been on the Thibs squad for a full season and have seen the floor, winning and losing, against what the league has to offer. I expect that if they out perform a vet they will move ahead this season. This does not apply to two-way guys, but yes to the rest. Thibs knows he can coach them and none flopped like Kevin Knox. It is on the kids to stay sharp, stay healthy, and impress.

Boston lost Gallo and has two bigs on its roster.

Chicago lost Lonzo and has yet to see how Caruso has recovered.

Charlotte rescinded it

Richard P. Feynman

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Responding Chips transcendent question
« Reply #24819 on: September 04, 2022, 09:40:16 PM »

the world view of CarlosCast-a-NADA...

Q: HOW WILL Thibs Evolve?

A: HE WILL NOT.

That being said, I firmly support elephants suggested penalty of a tattoo of Marc Berman on your Chips buttocks, before being reinstated as the President of the Positive Pussies Club.
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

chipstern

• View Profile
Handicapping
« Reply #24820 on: September 04, 2022, 10:25:27 PM »

Two things, it is one thing to be either a new rook, new young player, or new vet to Thibs. Of the three the new vet will have a shortcut to minutes. We saw it with Evan and we will see it with Brunson this season and probably Hartenstein as well.

Our kids have now been on the Thibs squad for a full season and have seen the floor, winning and losing, against what the league has to offer. I expect that if they out perform a vet they will move ahead this season. This does not apply to two-way guys, but yes to the rest. Thibs knows he can coach them and none flopped like Kevin Knox. It is on the kids to stay sharp, stay healthy, and impress.

Boston lost Gallo and has two bigs on its roster.

Chicago lost Lonzo and has yet to see how Caruso has recovered.

Charlotte rescinded it

Boston still has a tough, battle tested roster.  Poor Gallo.  I thought he was a really good fit.  Brogdan could be a big plus, if healthy.  Robert Williams will be healthy and he is a bad dude. 

In our relative bracket?

Bulls?  Ball and Caruso?  Big loss.  But Goran Dragic ain't chopped liver.  I probably like Coby White more than Bulls fans...more a scorer than a rudder, but he can run a team.  I remember one game where he sure cleaned our clock.  Andre Drummond a good pickup, and they are getting back their PF Puppy, Patrick Williams.  And Dosunmu has the makings of a first rate SG. 

Wizards?  Don't sleep on Washington.  A lot of ifs, but some pretty tantalizing ifs, including our own Taj Gibson.  The RETURN of Bradley Beal?  Huge.  Porzingis, Kam's fave.  He's been playing well in Europe.  If healthy, well...and playing next to Kuzma?  Gafford a real rim protector at center.  Will Barton a good vet addition, Johnny Davis a potentially impactful rook.  How will THEIR puppies evolve?  Hachimura, Kispert, Avdija all have huge upside. 

Raptors? Van Vleet and Trent.  Scottie Barnes.  Siakim, Anunoby, Achiuwa.  Thad Young and Otto Porter good vet additions.  Knicks are deeper, but Raptors lead dogs are really talented and athletic. 

Charlotte?  Ball the Lead Dog, and a great one, with Rozier making for a talented back court.  McDaniels and Washington are tough bigs, and rookie Mark Williams should solidify the center rotation with vet Plumlee.  Hornets puppies are kinda iffy, and an unknown factor.  Hayward is a big time player, alas, a part time one, and Miles Bridges was primed to get a big deal and compete for AllPro status, but well, he's a fuckup.   

Cleveland and Atlanta.  An argument can be made that they are more talented, and Jalen Brunson will have his hands full with Garland and Young [and, it is reasoable to expect, vicea versa].  Obviously, Donovan Mitchell and Dejounte Murray are HUGE Additions to both back courts.  Allen-Mobley-Okoro and Capella-Collins-Hunter make for tough athletic talentged front lines.   Both teams have added some depth. 

So depending on how we coohere, our puppies evolve, Brunson impacts the first team, and Randle and Fournier bounce back, we can certainly compete nose to nose more or less with Atlanta, Cleveland, Toronto, Chicago, Charlotte and Washington. 

Milwaukee, Boston, Philly, Brooklyn, Miami. 

All present a more daunting challenge, and level of top tier talent, although we played them all tough last season, before our ThibsMyLegsHaveTurnedToDough fourth quarter fades.  The Second Unit's Heroic comeback against the Heat was a highlight of our post AllStar break emergence. 

If we remain healthy and continue to evolve, we can compete. 

So, 6-10, yeah, we have a shot, but 1-5?  That's a horse of a different fire department.  Check back in with me on XMAS Day. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 10:28:05 PM by chipstern »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24821 on: September 05, 2022, 12:07:02 AM »

Robert Williams is starting healthy. He tends to miss time though, and Al is one year older. If one goes down, Grant Williams is the next big up I think unless Vonleh makes their team and Brings Boston a Chip.

Brooklyn is like a home brewed pulse jet motorcycle. It may be awesome or it may go boom, but it will be loud.

Milwaukee, Philly, Cleveland, Miami, and Atlanta should all be better on paper and predicted to amass more wins.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #24822 on: September 05, 2022, 12:56:35 AM »

Robert Williams is starting healthy. He tends to miss time though, and Al is one year older. If one goes down, Grant Williams is the next big up I think unless Vonleh makes their team and Brings Boston a Chip.

Brooklyn is like a home brewed pulse jet motorcycle. It may be awesome or it may go boom, but it will be loud.

Milwaukee, Philly, Cleveland, Miami, and Atlanta should all be better on paper and predicted to amass more wins.

You're dead on about The Nyets. 

Could be chicken salad

Could be chicken shit

Health an issue. 

Ben Simmons. Joe Harris.  TJ Warren. 

For starters. 

And as great as Kevin and Kyrie can be?  Top tier scorers and 90+% FT shooters. 

When KD was healthy last season, he was basically good for 30-7-7 a night. 

Having said that, he played in 55 games...35 the year before.

Ditto Kyrie roughly on the order of 27-5-6. 

A COVID shortened 29 games. 

However in 2019-20, only 20 games, and 2020-21, with the bubble, 54. 

In 11 seasons, he has ONLY played 70+games three times. 

KI turned 30 in March, while KD is closing in on 34. 

Simmons played 81 and 79 games his first two seasons, got his Max, and played 57 and 58 the next two. 

KD, KI and BS [hmmm, B-S, how fitting is THAT] could be a juggernaut or a leaky life raft, taking on water. 

Curry, Mills, Claxton, Sharpe, Thomas, O'Neal, Warren, Harris, nice depth and skill set...IF HEALTHY, and playing 60-70 plus games with KD, KI and BS. 

I'd watch PHILLY.  PJ Tucker a terrific pickup, and I anticipate Harden being hyper-motivated.  IQ should only evolve along the lines of Maxey, Harris is overpaid but a skilled big, a healthy Embid is a load.  Thybuille, Milton, Korkmaz MELTON, serious back court depth.  All healthy?  A force.  Embid or Harden or Harris go down.  TROUBLE. 

That leaves, what Miami and Milwaukee. 

Miami?

Butler tends to get nicked up, and turns 33 in two weeks.  Ditto Lowry, who is 36.  Riley has a host of young, motivated no names, the impregnable Bam Adaboyo, Oladipo, Hero, Robinson, and a promising rookie in Nikola Jovic. 

Milwaukee, health willing. seems impregnable.  They missed Middleton in the playoffs.  Giannis, Middleton, Lopez, Portis, Holiday, Connaughton, Hill, Ibaka, Matthews, Nwora.

GIANNIS!  Gilbert Arenas is an asshole.  Gianis turns 28 in December, basically good for 30-11-10 a night, got to the FT line a prodigious 766 times, and converted 553, for a more than respectable .722%.  Best player in the Easter Conference and getting better every year.

chipstern

• View Profile
PS > Piss Off
« Reply #24823 on: September 05, 2022, 01:21:12 AM »

Julius struggled last season, his 3-point shooting was dismal on close to 400 attempts [.308%] and 2-point shooting efficiency dipped by 50 points [.458%], summing out to .411%, while his defense left something to be desired. 

Still, as has oft been stated, was still a 20-10-5 man, and drained 303-401 FTs for a respectable .756%, and has been on the whole, quite durable over 35 plus minutes in 71 and 72 games the past two seasons.   

The next person who with a straight face, on this forum or in the blogosphere, comes to the conclusion that we should trade the soon to be 28 year old Julius Randle for the earthly remains of Gordon Hayward, I will urinate on their shoes, pausing only to piss on their pinyata. 

In his three seasons with Boston he played, 1, 72 and 52 games. 

In three seasons for Chalotte, he's basically been good for roughly 32 minutes a night, and played well when healthy [excellent 3-point shooter and FT shooter, although in two seasons his total FT attempts were 334, while Julius went to the line 830 times the past two seasons. 

NOT TO MENTION THAT in his first two seaons as a HORNET, he only played in 44 and 49 games, so he is Missing In Action roughly half the time. 

So, for the last time...FUCK GORDON HAYWARD and his 30-31 million over the next two seasons [Julius is due 23-25].  Not to mention, we should trade Randle for Hayward so he can take minutes away from Obi as an undersized PF, and from RJ and Cam as a gimpy wing who turns 33 in October? 

BRILLIANT NOTION
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 01:24:14 AM by chipstern »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24824 on: September 05, 2022, 03:20:01 AM »

So he can spell and instruct the aforementioned young players who we would like doing more of the things Hayward does when healthy though with more pop than we want them taking cues from or losing minutes for Obi and possibly Cam to Jules. Also Gordy will be an ending contract the year after this, the kind you move with extra draft picks and some promising young talent about to be rendered redundant for a guy who fits what you are doing and elevates those around him. This is two years ahead of the Randle timetable, even more if Oubre and Fournier become part of the deal. We may hang around, give the kids some burn letting chips fall where they may with an eye on fishing in free agency perhaps even setting markers on other teams RFAs.

Hayward is like a frontcourt Rose at this point in his career, a great player to have if you only never feel you have to give him big minutes. We have a roster where that can work out.

Minus Julius, you can spell Obi with Sims if Hartenstein is in at center. 

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 1653 1654 [1655] 1656 1657 ... 1852