Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 1851

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 964079 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #2175 on: November 22, 2018, 10:55:52 AM »

Chip-season's still early so I'm not giving up hope yet.

and fwiw that nun has a 99-mph heater and a nasty breaking ball and made Jaylen look really bad last night.

chipstern

• View Profile
Mister Self-Parody, Meet SENOR FARCE
« Reply #2176 on: November 22, 2018, 12:28:06 PM »

Hahahaha. Kam wants us to get Beal for basically Mudiay and Chip says "No thanks, we have Allonzo Trier". Self parody. Ridiculous.

(If you get Beal for that price, it actually helps you get Durant, although it would cost you first rounders to get rid of THJr plus Courtly. Still, worth it if it means you've got a core of KD/KP/Beal plus Knox/Ntilikina/2019 1st rounder and the ability to keep some combination of Dotson, Trier and Vonleh).

Tim Hardaway has shown actual improvement to the point that his $17mil contract is a non-factor or even a slight positive.

What a difference a year makes.

He has genuinely improved from a Bad defender (his first few years) to a still not good but trying level that coaches love.

His drawing charging fouls sacrificing the body and his increased effort to rebound and share the ball has him as a Top 100 player for a reason.

I think the premium paid to sign him from ATL as a RFA was worth it.

He has actual trade value, and value to us if we keep him. His contract is no longer a negative.

I've been as loud as anyone suggesting that the path to cap freedom is moving Timmy. He's made me a believer, and I think Kam has done a good job articulating why. He wasn't this player last year. I suppose what was apparent was his fire and competitive spirit. He put a lot of work in. He doesn't put his head down when he misses (he's still a streaky player, but he just shoots his way out of his bad runs a lot more quickly than he used to). He's shown some leadership skills. He puts his body on the line. He brings much needed intensity. Credit due to management for seeing this. My bad for not.

I'd be willing to attach assets to rid ourselves of Courtly, either second rounders and cash now or, if we need to in the summer, first rounders or Dotson or Trier or all of the above if that's what it takes to clear the space for KD. But Timmy looks like part of the solution if you answer yes to this question: Can he be this valuable as the third option (behind KP and another player) on a great team as opposed to just the first option on a bad team?

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 02:01:08 PM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
Post Script
« Reply #2177 on: November 22, 2018, 03:05:22 PM »

Lost in the joy of a win on Boston's home court, and the heroics of Trey Burke. 

The manner in which Fizz is keeping the Burke, Ntilikina and Mudiay competition active and positive, finding meaningful minutes for all. 

Last night Trey was first off the bench at PG and Frank was first off the bench at SF. 

Trey [32 minutes] was spectacular. 

Frank [27 minutes] was solid.

Emmanuel [20 minutes] got the starting five into rhythm, even though his own offense was sputtering (still two assists, a trey and 2-2 from the line). 

Ntilkina had a couple of really impressive drives to the hoop, and one has to believe that such aggressive penetration should be a bigger part of his offensive game.  He missed both of his threes, but hit a Trey Burke midrange jumper, and had two really impressive penetration-finishes. 

Ntilikina also drew the defensive assignment on Celtics bell cow Jayson Tatum, who had 15 points and 8 rebounds in 29 minutes, but was 4-12 from the floor and 6-9 from the charity stripe.  French Frank got up in his grill and really made him work. 

Oh, and a shout out to Senor Farce [Farsi?]...Trier had 8 points and 3 assists in 15 minutes, with a team leading +14. 

Pardon me while I slink away to get a grip.  Bradley Beal a wonderful player [21.8 ppg, 4.5 rebounds, 3.7 assists], playing with one of the league's premier point guards.  Meanwhile, Timmy getting it done for the Knicks in a less settled rotation, and is putting up comparable numbers [24.2 ppg, 3.7 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.1 steals and second in the league in taking charges behind Kyle Lowry of the Raptors].  Oh, and last season, over 57 games, Timmy was 146-179 from the charity stripe.  This year, in 18 games, he is already 96-115.  If he stays healthy and maintains that pace of FTAs, might we be looking at something on the order of 475 attempts? 

So riddle me this.  Playing as Beal does with one of the league's premier PGs, and being so demonstrably superior to Timmy (and eliciting a hearty Falstaffian guffaw from the Bizzer when I dared utter the 22 year old Trier's name in the same breath, upside be damned), how come the Wizards, a playoff team last season, are currently 6-11 and the demonstrably inferior Knicks, with a demonstrably inferior SG, are 5-14?  Riddle me that, Trader Vic. 

[We now pause so that Senor Farsi can lock and load and return fire, Biz Be Praised]

PS: Again, the Pelicans would appear to have our number.  Let's see which Knicks team shows up on its home floor tomorrow, and if we can string together TWO/48 Minute Team Efforts & Executions in a row, let alone exacting some payback from a team which ought to be piping hot after an photo finish with the Sixers.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 06:21:28 PM by chipstern »

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: November 22, 2018, 07:59:13 PM »

LOL

Sure.  Frank checked Tatum good.

chipstern

• View Profile
Bears Repeating
« Reply #2179 on: November 22, 2018, 10:19:56 PM »

Again, at the risk of repeating myself. 

I just love that picture of Mudiay and Ntilinka exulting in Burke's success. 

Says it all. 

Competition yielding individual growth, and joy for a team mate and the greater good, not jealousy. 

TEAM FIRST. 

Happy that Mudiay is finding confidence in his jumper. 

And praying for Frank at add another inch or two to his frame and that pterodactyl wingspan. 

Hope you had a peaceful day with your family, Kiid. 

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
ñ and Ñ
« Reply #2180 on: November 22, 2018, 10:30:23 PM »

[We now pause so that Senor Farsi can lock and load and return fire, Biz Be Praised]

PS: Again, the Pelicans would appear to have our number.  Let's see which Knicks team shows up on its home floor tomorrow, and if we can string together TWO/48 Minute Team Efforts & Executions in a row, let alone exacting some payback from a team which ought to be piping hot after an photo finish with the Sixers.

Chip, for Señor and SEÑOR you can use Alt-164 and Alt-165. You're welcome.

Now, much as I enjoyed beating the f'in C's, time to get back to the beautiful tank. Pels are not our rivals. PLAY HARD, LOSE TIGHT, GO KNICKS, GO NTILIKINA!

Hope you all had a very happy Thanksgiving day.
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: November 23, 2018, 12:26:11 AM »

If Beal is so good why are the Wizards struggling? That's a pretty silly question. Basketball is a team game, chemistry, coaching and context matter. You'd think someone who saw the Knicks of the early 1970s would understand that.

Beal is, uh, better than Trier or Mudiay or whatever. That point is so self-evident I'm not going to debate it any further.

As for Kiid's question of whether Timmy and Beal can co-exist...I think there are legitimate questions on whether that pair can be a championship wing combo but surely they can be the wing combo for, say, a 48 win team next year, if KP were healthy and with cap space to add other pieces at PF and PG. Beal is also an excellent backcourt partner for Ntilikina if you're going to play Frank at PG. That's the type of off-guard Frank needs if he's going to start at the 1.

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
Little things
« Reply #2182 on: November 23, 2018, 01:17:04 AM »

Knicks leaders:

Deflections - THJr/Meech (Dot and Mudiay close)
Loose balls recovered - THJr (Dot and Kanter close)
Screen assists - Kanter (Vonleh and Meech close, nobody else though)
Charges - THJr (nobody close)
Contested shots - Meech! (Kanter and Vonleh very close, THJr not far off)
Pts off turnovers - THJr (a bit back are Burke and Kanter)
2nd chance points - Kanter (nobody close)
Opponent points off turnovers (not a good thing) - THJr (Dot right behind him)
Opponent points in the paint - THJr
% pts assisted - Lance (Knox right there)
% pts unassisted - Burke
Usage - THJr
Opp FG% - Dot (Vonleh and Franc right there)
Opp turnovers - Franc (Vonleh and THJr kinda close)
+/- : Knox! (Franc and THJr a bit back)
Drives - Burke (THJr and IsoZo follow)
Box Outs - Kanter (Vonleh and Lance are quite a ways back, and the team rebounds poorly off of Vonleh and Meech box outs)
Average running speed - Lance (Mudiay right behind him)
eFG% on catch and shoot - IsoZo, by a mile (do not let Kanter shoot catch and shoot jumpers)
eFG% on pull up jumpers - Mudiay (THJr right behind him, Burke a bit farther back)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 08:53:48 AM by thebizneverloses »

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Bears Repeating
« Reply #2183 on: November 23, 2018, 08:36:47 AM »

Again, at the risk of repeating myself. 

I just love that picture of Mudiay and Ntilinka exulting in Burke's success. 

Says it all. 

Competition yielding individual growth, and joy for a team mate and the greater good, not jealousy. 

TEAM FIRST. 

Happy that Mudiay is finding confidence in his jumper. 

And praying for Frank at add another inch or two to his frame and that pterodactyl wingspan. 

Hope you had a peaceful day with your family, Kiid.

Thanks, bro

Yeah.  It was cool.

Had the hoops night Wednesday, including Duke-Zags, which I nailed - football day yesterday - and of course time with la familia.

Today its some Black Friday (read:  kids take my money) and high school football.  Some poker tonight.  Great week and still the weekend to play with.

Life is good.  Hope you had a great day yourself.

(Maybe Bank can confirm how many minutes Frank was checking Jayson)

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: November 23, 2018, 08:46:59 AM »

By the way, Wiz were 2-9.

4-4 when Dwight plays more than 8 minutes.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: November 23, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »

By the way, Wiz were 2-9.

4-4 when Dwight plays more than 8 minutes.

Missing Gortat.

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
Re: Little things
« Reply #2186 on: November 23, 2018, 12:18:55 PM »

Knicks leaders:

% pts unassisted - Burke
Usage - THJr
Box Outs - Kanter (Vonleh and Lance are quite a ways back, and the team rebounds poorly off of Vonleh and Meech box outs)
eFG% on catch and shoot - IsoZo, by a mile (do not let Kanter shoot catch and shoot jumpers)
eFG% on pull up jumpers - Mudiay (THJr right behind him, Burke a bit farther back)

The moral of this story: Timmy is not providing empty stats, he's a real team leader. Kanter, his atrociously weak defensive help aside, provides more value than many believe he does. Vonleh is putting in work. Burke provides something very unique to the team. All the rookie contract kids are a ways behind these guys in terms of contributing today, much as we are excited by them and their upside.

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: Little things
« Reply #2187 on: November 23, 2018, 02:29:45 PM »

Knicks leaders:

% pts unassisted - Burke
Usage - THJr

The moral of this story: Timmy is not providing empty stats, he's a real team leader. Kanter, his atrociously weak defensive help aside, provides more value than many believe he does. Vonleh is putting in work. Burke provides something very unique to the team. All the rookie contract kids are a ways behind these guys in terms of contributing today, much as we are excited by them and their upside.

Pain

+

PAIN

=

Progress

Happy Holy Daze, Biz.

chipstern

• View Profile
Kanter & Robinson
« Reply #2188 on: November 23, 2018, 02:42:49 PM »

Fizz making sense, to me anyway.

Kanter-Vonleh-Hezonja-Hardaway-Mudiay

Robinson-Knox-Ntilkiina-Trier-Burke

I must confess to a rooting interest in Subpar Mario.  Am waiting, hoping, he gets on track, and am impressed that Fizz has not given up on him. 

Like watching Mudiay last season...the idea, the execution, but not the finish. 

Knick on wood...let's see him hit two jumpers in a row, and one of those off the dribble drives to the hoop.

Meanwhile, anyone notice how hard Burke is working on the defensive end?  Not his forte, but like Timmy, he recognizes his shortcomings (like Timmy owning his 7 turnovers against the Celtics in an otherwise good outing).  Proving now that last season's late run was no fluke.  Loving his passion. 

And sorry Don Carlos but I am rooting for wins.  Given that Cleveland is in TOTAL TANK MODE, our shot at Zion seems, for practical reasons, remote.  Sort of like KD and Kemba. 

So in the short run, in lieu of those two, doubling down on my Roo Toot for Kevin and Trey. 

Was glad to see Kevin make a bee-line for the hoop and free throws instead of simply settling for long jumpers. 

Progress. 

And Mitchell Robinson seems more effective letting Enes warm things up for him, and joining French Frank as defensive stalwarts in the second unit. 

Tommy Beer: Mitchell Robinson  is on pace to become just the ninth rookie since 1990 to average at least 2 blocks per game.  Here are the other eight players in this exclusive club: David Robinson, Dikembe Mutombo, Alonzo Morning, Shaq, Chris Webber, Michael Stewart, Pau Gasol and Tim Duncan.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 02:51:03 PM by chipstern »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: November 23, 2018, 03:07:46 PM »

While it hasn’t generated the kind of chemistry and discipline to get regular wins yet, Fizz seems to have the young vets performing, at least in the past week or two, at or beyond career bests. He is also getting more focused and impactful play from the youngins. He moved everyone in that 10 man rotation through the starting lineup, and while our pups cycled back out the experience gave them firsthand knowledge of what they will have to do to take and hold that job. You see it in the performances of Trier, Frank, Mitch, and Knox over the last couple of games. It will be interesting to see what becomes of Mario. Can he rise to par? If so, in what capacity?

I think we can stay as close as 4 to 6 spots off the bottom record while still competing and improving, especially if KP stays under wraps into the spring. It’s low odds Zion territory, but it’s still a neighborhood where a team can find seriously helpful talent.

Most importantly, if we keep things up, we’ll be fun to watch all season.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 1851