Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 1851

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 964108 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #3150 on: December 28, 2018, 08:47:06 AM »

Mudy has become an NBA unguardable.

Except for layups, which he can't make.

Or does that mean that he's not an NBA guard?

So if Tim is an elite scorer and Mud is unguardable, then we must have one of the best backcourts in the League.  Good to know ...

Uh, THAT'S NOT TRUE.  Mudiay is much improved in finishing at the rack. 

All the Knicks missed their share yesterday, at the rack and otherwise, in good part because of the Bucks's defense, which was pretty stifling. 

We also got out-rebounded 57 to 43, which is indicative of how Bucks gradually ground us down and established dominance, after a competitive first quarter. 

Hell, neither Trier nor Dotson could find the hoop consistently, either on drives or jumpers.  Mudiay missed his share as well, but he has been creating separation and making those midrange jumpers, and getting into the paint with pretty good regularity. 

In any event, other than Vonleh and Kornet, and to a lesser extent, Lee and Kanter, Knicks all struggled as a team, shooting 37%.  Interesting that Vonleh had one of those ho-hum no big deal double doubles Kam is so unimpressed by, played good D, and had 3 blocks, for a team high +2 in 35 minutes, while Kornet, who was 7-11 from trey and 1-6 otherwise, had 5 assists in 34 minutes. 

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: December 28, 2018, 08:54:37 AM »

Enes also is also one of the best rbs in the game. 15 per 36 minutes as a knick. No problem replacing him?
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: December 28, 2018, 09:11:50 AM »

In other worrying NBA draft news for us...

More and more scouts I hear identify an "ocean" as a gap between Zion (who's suggested not at Lebron level) and #2 (Barrett) in terms of talent, and in general express reservations about this year's draft. I heard Jonathan Wasserman of Blecher Report on Knicks Film School call it "pretty weak" after Barrett (so picks #3 and below) as it's made up of a giant pack of players that he claims are difficult to separate.

So, if you don't get top 1 or 2 at this point sounds as though chances of getting it right with one's pick is more of a "crapshoot" and makes relying upon it all the more concerning if you are trying to use it to build a team as some hope it willl.

We're gonna need a lot of Ommmmms this summer that's for sure.

One player he mentioned the Knicks might look at - suggesting that need is then what may be the "tie breaker" if you can't differentiate players clearly enough - is Ja Morant from Murray State, as he's a PG who's a top level athlete who can pass/create/handle the ball(!) and rising.

Last thing he said, was "I think [Frank] will be successful, but not in New York."

Wasserman was with nbadraft.net many years ago and the site totally fell apart without him. He's definitely worth listening to. Note how he says you draft for talent first, and then need. Smart teams use tier systems, and draft mistakes come from drafting for need over talent.

While what he says about a top two pick seems sensible, I'd caution that in supposedly weak drafts, often what happens is you have a lot of busts in the lottery and a lot of surprises later in the draft. Makes it an ideal to draft to trade down or, since that is difficult, to trade out of. On the other hand, the Knicks tend to draft well, so maybe we just trust our scouting process here.

Really, the best strategy is to pick in the top two.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: December 28, 2018, 09:46:17 AM »

Big game for Lonzo.  20-12-9.

Kings got Lakers at buzzer.

No Rondo. No LeBron.

An indication what Ball could do on an above average to very good team with no superstar (Celtics without Irving)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:48:19 AM by kiiidcarter8 »

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: December 28, 2018, 09:50:03 AM »

Re:  Mudiay

The layup misses last year were the aberration.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: December 28, 2018, 10:23:51 AM »

I guess Mud's whole career has been an aberration then ...

I think it's more likely that Mid-range Mud is the aberration.
And Yes, he still has trouble finishing layups, though not as bad as awful last year.  So "much improved"  off a very low baseline.  Still not good.

This article accords with what I've seen and been saying:

I have frankly been stunned by the degree of difficulty on some of his shots, but New York Knicks coach David Fizdale seems pleased with his boldness.  A third of Mudiay's made field goals against the Suns made me shake my head. He brought the ball down the court and isolated against De'Anthony Melton, making a contested midrange fadeaway as his teammates just stood around:

When these shots go in, they look awesome. The problem is that they don't always go in, and it's not clear that he can keep making them at this rate. It's still not shocking to see him airball or badly brick a 3, and he's still shooting just 54 percent at the rim, per Cleaning The Glass. Mudiay is having a career year, but most of it is because he has been one of the best midrange shooters in the league, so skepticism about sustainability is warranted.

If you follow the link and scroll down to the Mud section, there are clips of some of the tough shots he made. PHX.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/thats-pretty-interesting-3-and-d-not-enough-anymore-raptors-glaring-flaw-and-monitoring-emmanuel-mudiay/
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: December 28, 2018, 10:34:48 AM »

Caught a 2nd half replay.
I liked that the Knix were physical with Anti-Greek.
Can't just let a guy bullrush to the rim 20 times a game.
Have to knock him down and whack him in the head a couple times to make him think twice.  Vonleh, Kant and Knox played The Greek well and made him pass off a number of times, leading to some turnovers and almost always no advantage.

Trier had some good looks that usually he'd make.  Though that 1-on-3 break where he was easily blocked was a poor decision.

DJ Wilson had a very solid role player game.  Looks like he's just about grown into his body.  Could be a Taj Gibson, Amir Johnson type, with a long run as a 6th Man.  Though DJ has some 3-ball pop -- as the evolution of the game persists.

Can anyone access and share a KirkGoldsberry chart for Mud's shooting this season? 

Don't forget we went through the same thing with Burke last year where he was one of the 3 best mid-range shooters and had a career year.  And lots of Burke's makes were of the high-degree of difficulty type. And I made the same comments about sustainability.  Not sure why Burke has disappeared so much.  Maybe we'll get more of him as Mud comes down to earth on this road trip and the follow-up brutal comp.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: December 28, 2018, 10:48:55 AM »

No Rondo. No LeBron.

An indication what Ball could do on an above average to very good team with no superstar (Celtics without Irving)
So does that make him the "generational talent" you've been touting or merely a good player "on an above average to very good team with no superstar"?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

chipstern

• View Profile
LeBron Speaks
« Reply #3158 on: December 28, 2018, 11:21:10 AM »

Is it just me, or is LeBron fantasizing out loud about how 'cool' it would be to play with Anthony Davis a real punkass  move? 

We have moved on from the Jordan Rules to the JAMES RULES. 

Wonder when the league moves in and slaps him, or if they just back channel it, this being The GREAT LeBron.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: December 28, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »

Enes also is also one of the best rbs in the game. 15 per 36 minutes as a knick. No problem replacing him?

May as well replace him

Coach has no interest in allowing Kanter to seek his 22 and 15 level.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: December 28, 2018, 11:58:14 AM »

No Rondo. No LeBron.

So does that make him the "generational talent" you've been touting or merely a good player "on an above average to very good team with no superstar"?

Watch the games and tell me.

LeBron has said Ball could be at "best defender in the league" status.

That he is also getting triple doubles should signal something to you.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: December 28, 2018, 12:12:06 PM »

No Rondo. No LeBron.

Watch the games and tell me.

LeBron has said Ball could be at "best defender in the league" status.

That he is also getting triple doubles should signal something to you.
In terms of evaluating him, why should I watch the games (which I do anyway, do you?) when you seem to be telling me that his statistics are the measure of his greatness?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: December 28, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »

Really?

At 8, 5 and 5?

I have to see the player.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: December 28, 2018, 12:35:46 PM »

Is it your stance that Ball will be merely a good player?

If you say, "I don't know we will have to see" this pretty much is your admission that there is more to Ball than average.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: December 28, 2018, 12:59:58 PM »

I think Ball will be a good NBA player and I never said otherwise. A transformational once every decade player? Hardly.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 1851