Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 1851

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 964042 times)

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #3300 on: January 02, 2019, 01:28:50 PM »

When I was watching the 2nd half in blur-o-vision, I saw Mud miss 2 out of 3 layups.  The only one he made was when he head-faked 3 defenders into thinking he was pulling the ball back out and then cleverly drive to the rim uncontested.  Missed a layup at 2:20 and again around 0:30.

His forays to the rim are still pretty bad. Gets blocked. Turns it over. Misses. Falls down.
The other stuff — well, D excepted — generally significantly better.
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: January 02, 2019, 02:03:26 PM »

When I was watching the 2nd half in blur-o-vision, I saw Mud miss 2 out of 3 layups.  The only one he made was when he head-faked 3 defenders into thinking he was pulling the ball back out and then cleverly drive to the rim uncontested.  Missed a layup at 2:20 and again around 0:30.

His forays to the rim are still pretty bad. Gets blocked. Turns it over. Misses. Falls down.

Kicks to a 3 pt shooter, who misses....

lesterluv

• View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: January 02, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »

Yes, he's doing more of that, and a bit less getting stuffed, but there is still a ways to go...

*** The offensive side of the ball not so much my concern; a Hardaway-Mudiay backcourt puts a sieve in front of Kanter, Kornet, Robinson or anyone else, regardless of those centers much discussed defensive merits or demerits — completely implausible as starting two on a future +.500 team, so really, what's the plan and the point? Just asking.

**** Fiz actually had Mud & Frank together for a few minutes last night (not nearly enough for Frank, he was easily our best guard on the court against Denver) would like to see more of that
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 02:44:32 PM by lesterdog »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: January 02, 2019, 03:31:41 PM »

Saw DET for a 2nd time in a week.
There's something just wrong there.
Blake works his ass off for diminishing returns late.
RegJax might or might not be on the court at any given time.  It's hard to tell.  He had 3 assist and 3 turnovers and I don't remember any except one oop to Drummond.  Nobody passes to Drummond.    Well Blake tried to get it to Drummond a few times, but only once effectively.  So every time Bulldog Drummond gets a rebound he's putting it back up.  Triple teamed?  No problem.  He misses with a lot of junk flips, but makes his dunks.

DE^ staye din the game early with Blake and Bullock 3's.  But they're not a good 3-pt shooting team, and that wasn't going to last.  In contrast, Bropez went 7-12 on 3's for MIL!  MIL shot 60%FG for the game and basically scored inside, got open 3, and open midrange J's all they wanted.   StanJohnson didn't play and DET could have used his defensive hustle.

On offense, DET needs more ballhandlers.  Guys who can drive.  And they are a slow team.  Drummond, Blake, Kennard, Jose, Bullock, Leuer.  Mostly plodders.  They put up a stat that DET is first in distance covered on offense and I think 3rd in number of passes.  Yet all that results in 25th in assists and some other negative stat.
They ran a fair amount of weave and dribble hand-offs, but it was so predictable a few times Bledsoe knew what was up and got over the pick almost before his man, blowing it up, so the handoff couldn't occur.

Seems that the system is either flawed or simply doesn't fit the personnel.  Drummond is underutilized.  He had 5 FT's and zero the two games before that, including the IND game I saw.  RegJax has no presence on either end.  They are an erratic 3-ball team.
They need more penetration.
DET is in trouble.  The pieces don't fit.

Just checked and Pistons give up the 4th fewest 3-pointers and hold teams to the worst 3-pt%.  So I guess that's a point of emphasis for them.  Sure didn't bother Lopez, but the rest of the Bucks went 3-15 on 3's.  Bucks got layups, dunks and wide open midrange J's all game.  They shot 71% FG on 2 point shots! 
Despite giving up just 31% on 3's, DEt allows 47% overall FG, bad for 22nd in the League.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: January 02, 2019, 03:56:31 PM »

Best 100-1 bet to win it all

Portland
Memphis
Indiana

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: January 02, 2019, 04:17:38 PM »

Drummond is a shot blocking Kanter

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: January 02, 2019, 04:27:55 PM »

Thinking the odds I gave may have been from start of season.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: January 02, 2019, 10:41:33 PM »

a Hardaway-Mudiay backcourt puts a sieve in front of Kanter, Kornet, Robinson or anyone else, regardless of those centers much discussed defensive merits or demerits — completely implausible as starting two on a future +.500 team, so really, what's the plan and the point? Just asking.

Knicks Film School:

Two starting lineups, two different results in terms of net rating:

Kanter + Vonleh/Knox/THJ/Mudiay
▪️ORtg: 100.2
▪️DRtg: 118.4
▪️Net: -18.2

Kornet + Vonleh/Knox/THJ/Mudiay
▪️ORtg: 125.7
▪️DRtg: 102.8
▪️Net: +22.9
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

lesterluv

• View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: January 03, 2019, 01:06:54 AM »

Do you actually watch basketball?

Did you watch the Utah game?

Or do just sit around cherry-picking little stat portraits and cursing the day that the Turks raped your grandmother and burned down your uncle's house.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: January 03, 2019, 03:03:09 AM »

Or do just sit around cherry-picking little stat portraits and cursing the day that the Turks raped your grandmother and burned down your uncle's house.

If you ONLY watch the offensive side of the game you can talk yourself into idealizing him as this awesome force.  Every fifth game or so that is.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Do YOU watch the games
« Reply #3310 on: January 03, 2019, 03:09:58 AM »

Opening sequence of a game not too long ago....

Knick player in the corner (maybe Hardaway?  maybe some other guy) shoots the three.  Misses.

Offensive Rebound.. Enes Kanter (YAY!!)

Enes goes back up with it withh two defeners all over him.. misses

BUT he gets ANOTHER offensive rebound (Yay!)  .. misses again

BUT he gets ANOTHER offensive rebound (yay) .. makes 2 pt basket.

So that is three offensive rebounds... but you can't score three times in a possession.  2pts.  3rebs. 

NET Effective Off Rebound was +1   ... the other two were essentially meaningless when it comes to contributing to the score.

Please watch the games and pay attention to how many offensive rebounds he gets vs how many points come from them.

I do it all the time because i'm amazed at his ability to pad his one good skill.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: January 03, 2019, 03:42:35 AM »

If you discount those 2 o-boards, then you should also offset his FG%.  Bump his 55% FG up to say 62%.

Rebounding your own miss is still valuable.  You want possessions to end in points.  Young Melo was quite good at that when he'd force contact on a drive.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:44:56 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

PrezIke

• View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: January 03, 2019, 07:08:40 AM »

If you ONLY watch the offensive side of the game you can talk yourself into idealizing him as this awesome force.  Every fifth game or so that is.

I'd argue, as do those numbers and other observers, that Kanter's presence also stifles the offensive flow as we are not running an offense, nor do most NBA teams, that suits his 90's-esque style of play.

Also, against more athletic bigs, he can struggle offensively because he lacks hops. He can use his tremendous strength and savvy around the rim, but it can fail him more times than it should.

He is a square peg that will be gone after this season I think no matter what some of our fans who have this strange love affair with him because he talks a good game about being a Knick, fronts like a tough guy, and has an old school game some fans seem to love, I think, fortunately.

Also, his defense is so glaringly bad I'm surprised all of the old school heads on here don't notice it. For his position it's pretty awful and this isn't just a hater thing:

http://www.espn.com/videohub/video/clip/_/id/25669949/categoryid/2378529
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:15:53 AM by PrezIke »

lesterluv

• View Profile
Oop Dunk Shot
« Reply #3313 on: January 03, 2019, 08:56:45 AM »

I don't see anybody here idealizing Kanter as this awesome force.

I only see somebody here obsessing over Kanter's defensive deficiencies as if he were the root cause of why we are the 3rd worst team in the league.

Like any other player, it's how you use him. When. With whom. There's a fair amount there to use.

What makes the obsession really odd is that at least 3 of our starters have equal defensive deficiencies, I would argue 4.

As for the opening sequence of the game you remember...here are the opening sequences of the game I remember, much more recent, two games ago to be exact, and public enemy #1 wasn't on court for any of this:

UTA - Gobert Alley Oop Dunk Shot: Made (2 PTS)
UTA - Gobert Dunk Shot: Made (4 PTS)
UTA - Favors Alley Oop Layup shot: Made (2 PTS)
UTA - Exum Driving Layup Shot: Made (2 PTS)
UTA - Gobert Dunk Shot: Made (6 PTS)
UTA - Favors Alley Oop Dunk Shot: Made (4 PTS)
UTA - Gobert Alley Oop Dunk Shot: Made (9 PTS)
UTA - Gobert Putback Layup Shot: Made (11 PTS)
UTA - Gobert Alley Oop Layup shot: Made (13 PTS)
NYK - Kornet Substitution replaced by Kanter

I'm sure Enes' presence in the arena made that happen.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:26:42 AM by lesterdog »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: January 03, 2019, 11:25:55 AM »

I was a big Kanter critic before he got to NYC.  Because of his terrible defense.  Though watching carefully in his late OKC period, I noticed that he did actually try on D, just wasn't good at it -- not mobile enough, poor instincts, limited hops.  His boarding and paint offense has improved in NY.  He's turned out to be a fun guy, stood up to Erdogan and has a burgeoning tough guy routine.  He's useful this season while Mitch & Kornet apprentice.  Not likely back next year.  KZ, Mitch, Kornet likely our C's going forward.

Some appreciate his grunt work on O, some don't.  Kant can suck up some minutes as needed and contribute to losing.  When Mitch returns, Kant's minutes might get further squeezed.  He might become the Trey Burke of our C platoon. 

I don't really see what the issue is. 
I've liked the way that Fizz has doled out minutes, mixed-and-matched personnel.  Including the recent featuring of Kornet.  I assume the goal going forward is to get Kornet & Mitch as much court time as they can handle.  Guys like Kant, Lance, Courtly are not the future.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 1851