Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1851

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 964384 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #4125 on: February 03, 2019, 03:14:03 AM »

You were dead set to commit $130 million to a guy coming off major surgery who had questions about the team?  He said he would recruit players to come play with him in NYC.  He stopped singing that tune.  Who did we get... Mario?
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

elephant

• View Profile
Re: Fuck You KP
« Reply #4126 on: February 03, 2019, 04:38:17 AM »

We are all still waiting for KP to say he didn't want to be traded.

Demar Derozan gets traded. He takes it hard.

KP gets traded.

All smiles.

I get that you're pissed at the guy. But this comparison is absurd.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: February 03, 2019, 06:45:40 AM »

I thought it was 2 2nd rounders.

As far as I can tell we traded two of our 2nd round picks (2020 & '21) to 76ers to get Willy.  And then traded him to CHA for 2 of their 2nd rounders, same years.  Anyway, it was another Sell Low trade by the Knix.  With a friend of KZ's heading out.

We are all still waiting for KP to say he didn't want to be traded

Uh, no.  We're waiting to hear that KZ said he wanted to be traded.  That could have forced PerryMills' hand.  But they had a deal in place, ready to Sell Low.

Demar Derozan gets traded. He takes it hard.
KP gets traded.  All smiles.

DeMar had been on a winning team for a decade where he built friendships, enjoyed playoff runs and was part of the community.  KZ was a few years on a dysfunctional losing team with a revolving cast of coaches, players, management.  Big difference.

Even if KZ wanted out, I'd call his bluff, get him signed to a 5 year max, get him back on the court (and see if he could get back into the team), and then look to trade him if he still wanted out.

I think the knix learned by the Allan H. misadventure. KP was frustrated by the lack of recovery. Mavs willing to gamble.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: February 03, 2019, 11:17:49 AM »

New York began to speak to teams about different trade scenarios involving Porzingis in the days leading up to Thursday.

"When the meeting occurred this morning, we'd already been having many conversations with a number of teams," Perry said Thursday. "So we decided to act upon one."

At the time of their trade of Porzingis, the Knicks had several offers for the 23-year-old big man, league sources told ESPN.

But multiple teams interested in making an offer for Porzingis said that they were unable to do so before New York traded Porzingis to Dallas, league sources said.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: February 03, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »

A level of diligence and acumen we have come to expect.

***Stay Woke, my brothers!
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: February 03, 2019, 12:26:58 PM »

Reminiscent of signing Baker to the two year MLE when nobody wanted him at more than the minimum. Or blowing our budget on Timmy Jr, overpaying him (a move which several here defended, but now clearly looks like a mistake). I blame Steve Mills - he's got that Isiah Thomas tendency where once he's got his mind made up, no price is too high.

This deal is great is if we replace KP with another all-star plus something else, OR if KP continues to be injury prone. Otherwise, there may have been better ways to go about the same end goal.

The reason I'm not as down as Bo is because a) I think DSJ may yet be an asset, it's still early (especially for a PG) b) if we strike out on the big names and do NOT take the path Fac has suggested in terms of stockpiling effective but high-priced role players, I think we can do a bit of a Philly-type process, learning from both their hits and misses and c) as much as I would have preferred to build around KP rather than DSJ and two future picks, I wasn't without my misgivings regarding his injury. (I think his attitude issues have been a bit overblown).

Really, my biggest problem is how quickly the deal was done. I fear - as was the case with, say, the Tyson Chandler deal, coincidentally also with Dallas - that there were better offers out there.

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
An optimistic view
« Reply #4131 on: February 03, 2019, 12:39:23 PM »

As of today, in 100 alternate universes, the Knicks end up with the 1st pick and Zion 14 times. They end up with the 2nd pick (and presumably RJ?) 13 times, the third pick 13 times, the fourth pick 12 times. These odds are the same so long as the Knicks stay in the bottom three teams.

I think if the Knicks get Zion, they get at least one all-NBA guy in free agency, let's say 13 out of 14 times. The hype will be too great.

If they get RJ, I'd say we're still looking at 8-10 out of 13 times; perhaps some of those are factoring in the pick being traded for Anthony Davis. If the Celtics don't put Jayson Tatum on the table, RJ Barrett might appeal more than Jaylen Brown or Brandon Ingram.

If they get someone else 3rd or even 4th, I think we're still looking at something like something like 6-12 out of 25 times. And if we pick just a bit lower, we're still not out of the game.

All that to say that between now and early July is a long time, and it's hard to have a definitive view that the Knicks have erred until, at the earliest, we see how free agency shakes out. I think it's best to withhold becoming too committed to any judgments.

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: February 03, 2019, 01:01:05 PM »

Well I wouldn't bet on it, but this can all still end up wildly entertaining, no doubt, despite the continued amateur-hour management & Trumpian obfuscation of truth under the auspices of the sporting world's most noxious owner-musician.

My personal preference in the candy store, since we are apparently going to buy rather than grow, and which will no doubt make Bo cringe, but won't happen — no worries — is for landing a Kawhi/Boogie combo. A nice marriage of introvert/extrovert. The  best all-rounder of the crop, a guy who can proven bring it in the final round, and then, despite his ludicrous flaws, an amazingly multi-talented true big, something I can't help but always have a soft spot for. Kyrie? He is just turning out to be so flaked. Davis? So dull. Durant? Was never impressed with end-game when it counted at OKC though maybe he's learned something with the Warriors. We seem to have the necessary young jackrabbit scoring guards to mix in (or, should it be preferred in such a line-up, our much-maligned French defender in the making)

The draft pick? Well, you throw in Zion of course and it all becomes extra-delicious, but I'm not counting on that. The lottery is really just a carnival crane claw machine what with the new odds.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 01:16:44 PM by lesterdog »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: February 03, 2019, 01:22:27 PM »

So.......

as we get a look at Mr D A Jordan...

what do we do if we really like him?

---

Hearing on telecast that Fiz will in fact use Frank and Dennis together at times, with Frank playing off the ball and checking the taller guy (likely the 2 as well)

How good can Frank be as an off the ball, play the passing lanes, read defender?  I'd like to see.

IOf he can scorer - and can play 30 minutes, could we have an NBA steals leader (or top 5)  type that coukld vye for All Defense teams?  I still see the backup role....... but who knows,as we seem to have no desire, no vision to deal him.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: February 03, 2019, 01:29:25 PM »

Steve Mills on MSG

Felt they should do something by 2/7 ......that was the key date.....before the leverage shifted

Had about EIGHT scenarios they were comfortable with to deal KP.

KP made it clear to Knicks in a meeting HE requested that he was NOT re-signing with the Knicks

Wow.

Also

----

D Smith Jr hits his only shot then sits with 2 fouls.  Isnt there something in terms of coaching that Fiz can impart to these young guys to stay on the freaking court? Frank, Mitch.......now the Young Dennis after his first Fiz pregame..........

Fouling SUCKS!  We sure have enough coaches - maybe they can start having an impact.  Is it just Fiz's scrambling D he likes so much?  Possibly.

Thoughts on Mills info and the team defensive approach?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: An optimistic view
« Reply #4135 on: February 03, 2019, 01:32:04 PM »

As of today, in 100 alternate universes, the Knicks end up with the 1st pick and Zion 14 times. They end up with the 2nd pick (and presumably RJ?) 13 times, the third pick 13 times, the fourth pick 12 times. These odds are the same so long as the Knicks stay in the bottom three teams.

I think if the Knicks get Zion, they get at least one all-NBA guy in free agency, let's say 13 out of 14 times. The hype will be too great.

If they get RJ, I'd say we're still looking at 8-10 out of 13 times; perhaps some of those are factoring in the pick being traded for Anthony Davis. If the Celtics don't put Jayson Tatum on the table, RJ Barrett might appeal more than Jaylen Brown or Brandon Ingram.

If they get someone else 3rd or even 4th, I think we're still looking at something like something like 6-12 out of 25 times. And if we pick just a bit lower, we're still not out of the game.

All that to say that between now and early July is a long time, and it's hard to have a definitive view that the Knicks have erred until, at the earliest, we see how free agency shakes out. I think it's best to withhold becoming too committed to any judgments.
I think with the #1 slot (worst record) the lowest we can drop is #4

With the 2 - to 5

3 to 6

etc

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: February 03, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »

KP with his cryptic "stay woke" message?

Yeah, that's kind of dickish.

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: February 03, 2019, 01:52:27 PM »

Funny thought for those of you already ordering your Zion Knicks jersey:

What if we start winning with the new guys?

PrezIke

• View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: February 03, 2019, 02:04:57 PM »

Okay, okay, maybe this is just something I'm telling myself. But I think the current scenario gives us a better chance to land a superstar than the one we had a week ago.

I agree with this.

Me too.

Happy to know I can agree with elephant (what was your old handle?) on something at least.

PrezIke

• View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: February 03, 2019, 02:09:14 PM »

NY has a 86% ( or less chance of NOT  getting Zion)  so talk of him on NY is simply typical wishful thinking.

NY has a beter chance at luring 2 free agents at max salary.  who they may be is a complete unknown and won't be for another 6 months.

If KP asked for a trade then NY did the right thing.  if he didn't then they fucked up.  fairly simple.

i have no faith in NY Management.  that goes from Dolan to Mills to Perry to the coach.  Perhaps KP felt the same way.

https://twitter.com/KnickFilmSchool/status/1092130151704526854

Mills: "It was a meeting that [KP] requested, they made it clear to us that he did not want to play for the Knicks, that he was not going to re-sign with us as a free agent."

And then if you want to "pretend" that the Knicks had no idea about it and were wrong to shop him around this season:

https://twitter.com/KnickFilmSchool/status/1092133984459546624

@wojespn recently said “it was no mystery around the league and it was no mystery among other players that [KP] didn’t like being there, didn’t want to be there anymore, and obviously told them that Thursday”

So, what do all who are mad at the Knicks for trading him think of this now?

KP can do one, as they say across the pond, for all I care.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 02:48:52 PM by PrezIke »
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1851