Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1428 1429 [1430] 1431 1432 ... 2795

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 657363 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #21435 on: November 28, 2021, 11:25:52 AM »

It seems the US Republican party would prefer an Icelandic model. The 85-90% white Nordic nature of the population being the real hook.

Whether the problems of the bias in US justice system is process based or people-based seems in question.

At least to me.

A pure process with the best intentions can be tainted by impure players.

Lastly comparing tiny Iceland, a homogenous country of .5 million people of Nordic origins and its societal issues and legal system to a multi-ethnic, multi-racial country of 330 million people, with all sorts of legal jurisdictions, seems at best ridiculous.

Go Vikes!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:31:54 AM by bankshot1 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21436 on: November 28, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »

How many other DAs are just as dirty?

To this extent - not many
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21437 on: November 28, 2021, 11:43:40 AM »

It seems the US Republican party would prefer an Icelandic model. The 85-90% white Nordic nature of the population being the real hook.

Law and order isnt a race thing

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21438 on: November 28, 2021, 11:43:48 AM »

Whether the problems of the bias in US justice system is process based or people-based seems in question.

At least to me.

Lastly comparing tiny Iceland, a homogenous country of .5 million people of Nordic origins and its societal issues and legal system to a multi-ethnic, multi-racial country of 330 million people, with all sorts of legal jurisdictions, seems at best ridiculous.

Go Vikes!

No, the GOP doesn't want the Icelandic style government, just their racial makeup.

Yes, a pure process can be tainted by impure players - that's been my point about our system all along, Banks.

However, the comparison of legal systems are legit not on a national scale but on a regional scale - we have the same problems on a state and city basis that we do on a national basis.

And... I provided an additional set of countries, Banks, 26 of which have less corrupt systems than we do.

Are they free of prejudice altogether? No - they are just better than we are in their overall systems.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21439 on: November 28, 2021, 11:44:33 AM »

Law and order isnt a race thing

And damn the evidence that says otherwise.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21440 on: November 28, 2021, 12:09:37 PM »

DA in Arbery case would have protected her friend (the father, the main impetus) had the victim been white.

As the verdict went FOR Rittenhouse even though the victims were NOT people of colour.

Law and order.  No race.

Holly Martins

« Reply #21441 on: November 28, 2021, 12:19:55 PM »

AGAIN - it was buried by a dirty district attorney

AGAIN That is the point.   A system that allows a corrupt official to bury incidents is in serious disrepair.  It calls into question a system that elects DAs, where the guy with money and corrrupt cronies gets the job.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21442 on: November 28, 2021, 12:22:15 PM »

It wasn't allowed.  She was arrested.

Holly Martins

« Reply #21443 on: November 28, 2021, 12:26:25 PM »

DA in Arbery case would have protected her friend (the father, the main impetus) had the victim been white.

Maybe, but we have no way to know that.  That is the nature of corrupt and covert actions.  They depend on several factors that are hidden from view.   

Holly Martins

« Reply #21444 on: November 28, 2021, 12:28:53 PM »

See above.  We do not know what other cases may be wrongly handled.  We do not know if Arbery case would have stayed buried without press intervention and YouTube.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21445 on: November 28, 2021, 12:34:13 PM »

Fr this one DA?  I have no problem at all with investigating all her cases.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21446 on: November 28, 2021, 12:44:30 PM »

At least to me.

Go Vikes!

And stupid. But stupid is as stupid does.

Here is josh's favorite country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWVbzXgkHDw
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 12:46:45 PM by Hamilton Samuels »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21447 on: November 28, 2021, 12:47:54 PM »

See above.  We do not know what other cases may be wrongly handled.  We do not know if Arbery case would have stayed buried without press intervention and YouTube.

Likely would have been.

This case of hers stinks a bit as well, though this piece only gives one side of it

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-11-27/jackie-johnson-prosecutor-caroline-small-ahmaud-arbery

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #21448 on: November 28, 2021, 12:49:45 PM »

And because you do not know, you also do not know if the Arbery case is an exceptional case, an outlier, and quite possibly not at all representative of the fine work that might be actually getting done.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #21449 on: November 28, 2021, 12:57:22 PM »

How can the Democrats can guarantee losing? Listen to dopes like this one: https://news.yahoo.com/democrats-cant-win-elections-cant-130200308.html
Pages: 1 ... 1428 1429 [1430] 1431 1432 ... 2795