Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 764258 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #615 on: January 29, 2021, 09:41:01 PM »

So it’s still your argument that a jury verdict is secret?
Of course a jury “verdict” is not secret.
Same way an election verdict is not secret.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 29, 2021, 09:49:30 PM »

Ah. So your "it isn't?" in response to my statement that "jury verdicts are not secret" was sarcastic agreement with me? Wow, first time.  I'm honored.  You being a teacher and all.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 29, 2021, 09:59:24 PM »

Ah. So your "it isn't?" in response to my statement that "jury verdicts are not secret" was sarcastic agreement with me? Wow, first time.  I'm honored.  You being a teacher and all.
Jury deliberations are secret.
But this conversation was about an impeachment trial when the Senators take a public vote.
Trial jurors don’t.  If the trial does not produce a unanimous verdict then we have no record of who voted which way and no way to find out unless a juror goes public on their own.

In impeachment the bar is 2/3rds of the Senate so that requires 67 votes.  In the case of Trump it assumes 50democrats and 17 republicans. 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 29, 2021, 10:06:02 PM »

But this conversation was about an impeachment trial when the Senators take a public vote.
Trial jurors don’t.  If the trial does not produce a unanimous verdict then we have no record of who voted which way and no way to find out unless a juror goes public on their own.

The conversation started when Reich's argument FOR ALLOWING SENATORS TO VOTE IN PRIVATE WAS DISCUSSED. Do you ever actually read what people post or do you just have an agenda?  Or maybe you just see a poster's name and automatically start arguing.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 29, 2021, 10:13:08 PM »

The conversation started when Reich's argument FOR ALLOWING SENATORS TO VOTE IN PRIVATE WAS DISCUSSED. Do you ever actually read what people post or do you just have an agenda?  Or maybe you just see a poster's name and automatically start arguing.
Yes I do read the posts 
Reichs argument is all too predictable .
He’d love the democrats chances to beat up the GOP for hiding their votes or, if they don’t, a chance to use the info in the 22 elections.
It’s the only reason this idiotic trial is going forward.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #620 on: January 29, 2021, 11:07:43 PM »

Yes I do read the posts 
He’d love the democrats chances to beat up the GOP for hiding their votes or, if they don’t, a chance to use the info in the 22 elections.

Yeah, what's an little insurrection and attempted coup? Lets have a beer and get back to work.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #621 on: January 29, 2021, 11:46:33 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 30, 2021, 12:53:44 AM »

"Ricky Vaughn" arrested for 2016 election interference.  Republicans only blame Democrats for what they do themselves.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 30, 2021, 04:38:15 AM »

Republicans don’t have the imagination to accuse others of committing crimes they aren’t currently committing themselves.

If a republican accused someone of a dirty deed, it’s an admission of guilt and cry for help rolled into one. This applies equally to election fraud and the Mark Foley - Dennis Hastert stuff that gets Qanoners so upset.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 30, 2021, 06:19:52 AM »

GM intends to sell electric cars only by 2035.
I recall back in 2000 when Al Gore was saying it was time to do start doing away with the internal combustion engine and he was ridiculed as an idiot.  Same with his proposal for a national $0.50 per gallon gas tax, which was also forward thinking and then after W Bush won and attacked Iraq for no particular reason and gas prices doubled, it was clear that America could easily absorb a 50 cent a gallon tax.

Really I don't know why Biden doesn't implement a $25 cent a gallon national tax.  Install it increments of 5 cents per year and it would be barely noticeable with the way gas prices fluctuate, and it would certainly raise a lot of revenue.  (150 billion gallons x.05 = $7.5B per year).  But they probably don't want surburbanites to get riled.  Sell the national gasoline tax as a way of helping the environment, maybe paying for some infrastructure road/bridge projects, paying for some of the CV-aid packages, encouraging the switch to electric vehicles, etc.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 30, 2021, 10:11:01 AM »

If they had C J Cregg they could formulate a way to make the tax seem more palatable to the public.  (Season 7)
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 30, 2021, 11:08:28 AM »

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/01/why-are-conservatives-angry-biden-denounced-white-supremacy.html

'We're not racist, but we don't want to denounce racism' seems to be the position.

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 30, 2021, 11:22:24 AM »

GM intends to sell electric cars only by 2035.
I recall back in 2000 when Al Gore was saying it was time to do start doing away with the internal combustion engine and he was ridiculed as an idiot.  Same with his proposal for a national $0.50 per gallon gas tax, which was also forward thinking and then after W Bush won and attacked Iraq for no particular reason and gas prices doubled, it was clear that America could easily absorb a 50 cent a gallon tax.

Really I don't know why Biden doesn't implement a $25 cent a gallon national tax.  Install it increments of 5 cents per year and it would be barely noticeable with the way gas prices fluctuate, and it would certainly raise a lot of revenue.  (150 billion gallons x.05 = $7.5B per year).  But they probably don't want surburbanites to get riled.  Sell the national gasoline tax as a way of helping the environment, maybe paying for some infrastructure road/bridge projects, paying for some of the CV-aid packages, encouraging the switch to electric vehicles, etc.

2000 was 20 years ago. A lot can happen in 20 years
2035 is 15 years away.
2050 another 30 years away.

Al...as I remember it...was touring the world in jets preaching climate change etc...while consuming 10 times as much electricity in his mansions etc as the average American.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 30, 2021, 11:33:51 AM »

Iraq was attacked because Washington had had more than enough of Saddam and his antics.
Every time Saddam moved his military to Iraq's borders, threatening war/invasions...US had to react and defend his targets.
The US, note...not China, Russia etc.

Now we have China, threatening to attack Taiwan...testing Biden.
The only way to save Taiwan, ...once it invades Taiwan,
Australia will likely be next.
The only way to stop China is for the whole world to gang up on it.
US cannot, and should not be expected to, defeat China on its own.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

barton

« Reply #629 on: January 30, 2021, 11:41:25 AM »

Yes I do read the posts 

Yeah, what's an little insurrection and attempted coup? Lets have a beer and get back to work.

Yep.   The GOP has become so entrenched in political games that they're seemingly incapable of noticing that sometimes people really are just trying to uphold the rule of law.  And punish serious wrongdoing.  The problem with being in a cult is everything is seen through cult glasses -- any honest dealing is seen as just another way to feed your faithful to the lions.   

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 2929