Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 763836 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #6480 on: May 03, 2021, 08:28:41 PM »

Is it okay to agree with Uno on the use of slurs in quotations from transcripts or literature, without condoning his trolling remarks?   I hope so.   I think any word can be used in a context of scholarly endeavor or recounting a dark event,  without it being any sort of approval of that word as a slur.  If someone is really getting stressed out by a word,  can't functional adults agree  on ground rules like "we will just refer to that epithet as the N-word, " or similar.?   Why do things have to get so heated in academic situations when everyone is making a good faith attempt to give respect?   Most slipups in life don't call for mass public shamings and worse.

Sure.

You can agree with that asshole all day long.

I don’t have a problem with academic discussion and I think those involved had pretty much worked out their understanding and the policy derived from the controversy appears to be fair minded.

My problem is with the ridiculous backlash UNO is dry humping trying desperately to get a Knut.

Try the Ozempic.

Then GFY.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: May 03, 2021, 08:30:41 PM »

Someone here is proclaiming himself an expert on doubling down on being stupid. There is no question he has provided ample evidence of his experience working extensively in the area of his purported expertise. I’m curious as to what observations he’s amassed in his years of practice. I’m confident he will find it in his heart to continue to share the fruits of his endeavors with us.

He will swear the 1862 Battle of Memphis was of more consequence than the invasion of Normandy in 1944.

Nope. He never said that. What he said was the one was perhaps more important, because without that victory turning the West War, there may have been no United States to develop and become a part of Normandy.

And you know that, too.

But go ahead and spin more lies, motherfucker.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: May 03, 2021, 08:37:15 PM »

“The most interesting part
of Mitt Romney getting booed
by the Utah GOP
is in 2012
when he finally resorted to birtherism
on the campaign trail
& helped legitimize
the culture of disinformation narratives
that now boos him.”

John Fugelsang

You probably would endorse what Sharpton said about Romney.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: May 03, 2021, 08:43:23 PM »

Django was a Tarantino wet dream.

I think Tarantino is one very complicated guy, and IMO a great film-maker, but whether Django is his wet dream is for others to ponder. In some regards DU continues the bloody revenge orgy of his WW2 fantasy, Inglorius Basterds. In both films the racist murderous motherfuckers meet with a just end at the hands of their intended victims. paybacks a bitch.  I often wondered whether blowing up Candyland was a tip of the cap to Spike Lee, (who IIRC said he would never see the film) torching Sal's pizzeria.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:45:49 PM by bankshot1 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6484 on: May 03, 2021, 08:56:49 PM »

Someone here is proclaiming himself an expert on doubling down on being stupid. There is no question he has provided ample evidence of his experience working extensively in the area of his purported expertise. I’m curious as to what observations he’s amassed in his years of practice. I’m confident he will find it in his heart to continue to share the fruits of his endeavors with us.

He will swear the 1862 Battle of Memphis was of more consequence than the invasion of Normandy in 1944.

Nope. He never said that. What he said was the one was perhaps more important, because without that victory turning the West War, there may have been no United States to develop and become a part of Normandy.

And you know that, too.

But go ahead and spin more lies, motherfucker.

The butterfly effect, no?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6485 on: May 03, 2021, 08:57:41 PM »

by the Utah GOP
is in 2012
on the campaign trail
& helped legitimize
that now boos him.”

John Fugelsang

No doubt!

What did he say?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6486 on: May 03, 2021, 09:11:01 PM »

Django was a Tarantino wet dream.

I think Tarantino is one very complicated guy, and IMO a great film-maker, but whether Django is his wet dream is for others to ponder. In some regards DU continues the bloody revenge orgy of his WW2 fantasy, Inglorius Basterds. In both films the racist murderous motherfuckers meet with a just end at the hands of their intended victims. paybacks a bitch.  I often wondered whether blowing up Candyland was a tip of the cap to Spike Lee, (who IIRC said he would never see the film) torching Sal's pizzeria.

The through line is Radio Raheem.

He pissed off Sal

Sal bashed his boom box with a baseball bat. They fight the cops show up and kill Radio Raheem with a chokehold in the middle of a crowd (imagine cellphone video) and the people were pissed.

Mookie, caught between both worlds said fuck it. Enough of this.

Kind of like May 2020 in Minneapolis

Except it was the Umbrella Man who sparked that riot/uprising in Minneapolis.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 09:12:48 PM by LarryBnDC »

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: May 03, 2021, 09:15:05 PM »

Gov. Cuomo works to ensure there is no risk of his becoming POTUS:
https://nypost.com/2021/05/03/cuomo-not-telling-my-child-to-ride-the-subway-in-slamming-mta-safety
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6488 on: May 03, 2021, 09:27:12 PM »

Gov. Cuomo works to ensure there is no risk of his becoming POTUS:
https://nypost.com/2021/05/03/cuomo-not-telling-my-child-to-ride-the-subway-in-slamming-mta-safety

A lot of folks bought fool’s gold last year.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6489 on: May 03, 2021, 09:28:21 PM »

The entire right wing ecosystem exists in a parallel universe...

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1389291067980271616?s=21

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: May 03, 2021, 10:21:48 PM »

by the Utah GOP
is in 2012
on the campaign trail
& helped legitimize
that now boos him.”

John Fugelsang

No doubt!

What did he say?

"As for the one Mormon running for office, those that really believe in God will defeat him anyway, so don't worry about that — that's a temporary situation."

Abject bigotry.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: May 03, 2021, 10:23:17 PM »

Spike Lee has never made a movie worth watching.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: May 03, 2021, 10:39:45 PM »

Now that is bigotry!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: May 03, 2021, 11:27:28 PM »

Now that is bigotry!

No. THAT'S an opinion.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: May 03, 2021, 11:36:41 PM »

Now that is bigotry!

No. THAT'S an opinion.

That is it an opinion is not in dispute.

Bigotry: "obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, opinion, or faction."

You are obstinate in your attachment to almost all of your opinions, as you demonstrate regularly.

It is a bigoted opinion.

Nothing new here.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 2929