Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 764892 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #3330 on: March 10, 2021, 02:12:50 PM »

HR 1319 just passed the House

This is a BIG FUCKING DEAL as a former VP once said.

I truly believe the filibuster, as we know it, is destined to go away.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: March 10, 2021, 02:13:10 PM »

A lot of teachers aren't actually Master's level, and do make more than 35K.  My niece teaches (with a BA, and a teaching certificate) and likes to point out that, though her city's Catholic schools don't pay well (most Catholic schools pay worse than public schools), she has three months vacation a year and does something she really loves.  I think those factors play into why so many teachers keep teaching.

She doesn't have 3 months vacation. She has 3 months when she is unemployed in her profession.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: March 10, 2021, 02:18:03 PM »

A lot of teachers write books, and they make money on the side from their books. 

One of my film teachers wrote his own textbooks for his class, etc, so he was making money from his books, along with money from teaching. His name is Jaime Bihlmeyer and he is teaching in Missouri now...

https://mjf.missouristate.edu/JaimeBihlmeyer.aspx

If you get a chance to buy one of his books, I am sure he would appreciate it, I am sure he has books at Barnes and Noble. 

Salute,

Tony V.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: March 10, 2021, 02:18:59 PM »

COVID-19 has helped to point this out, but it is unclear that it has pointed it out sufficiently to the people who most need to be convinced.

And... despite my agreeing with this, the "education" "system" still needs to be overhauled to a frightening degree.

What is the average US secondary school teacher bringing down?

It really depends on where one teaches.  But then you have to consider that many, many schools in the USA do not provide budgeting for classroom supplies, and teachers often do so themselves. Also, the COLA in NY is a lot different than Mississippi. And there are other forms of support in schools like in the great state of NJ---education foundations, for example. They don't exist in most states.

Here is some data for you to sift through: https://www.edweek.org/teaching-learning/which-states-have-the-highest-and-lowest-teacher-salaries/2019/04
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: March 10, 2021, 02:20:23 PM »

A lot of teachers write books, and they make money on the side from their books.

One of my film teachers wrote his own textbooks for his class, etc, so he was making money from his books, along with money from teaching. His name is Jaime Bihlmeyer and he is teaching in Missouri now...

https://mjf.missouristate.edu/JaimeBihlmeyer.aspx

If you get a chance to buy one of his books, I am sure he would appreciate it, I am sure he has books at Barnes and Noble.

Salute,

Tony V.

That's flat out bullshit, Tony. There are NOT a "lot of teachers who write books". Some university teachers do, because they are expected to publish.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: March 10, 2021, 02:23:04 PM »

Well, the Dems own that "BIG" deal, and now it will be up to the American people to decide if that partisan passed law was worth it. Only  time will tell.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: March 10, 2021, 02:30:38 PM »

Well, the Dems own that "BIG" deal, and now it will be up to the American people to decide if that partisan passed law was worth it. Only  time will tell.

We will get 2 partisan takes on this historic relief plan, summarized below.

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”

Most here can probably figure out which is which and which is Mitch.

heh

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: March 10, 2021, 02:31:36 PM »

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”

heh

And which is Larry.

barton

« Reply #3338 on: March 10, 2021, 02:35:27 PM »

A lot of teachers aren't actually Master's level, and do make more than 35K.  My niece teaches (with a BA, and a teaching certificate) and likes to point out that, though her city's Catholic schools don't pay well (most Catholic schools pay worse than public schools), she has three months vacation a year and does something she really loves.  I think those factors play into why so many teachers keep teaching.

She doesn't have 3 months vacation. She has 3 months when she is unemployed in her profession.

My daughter also teaches.   She definitely sees summer break as vacation.   Not in the literal sense,  but in terms that matter,  like free weeks to explore,  restore,  recreate.   And she remains in the employ of the school system.   And her salary is sufficient for a full year.   I think the satisfactions that OC speaks of are not uncommon. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: March 10, 2021, 02:36:58 PM »

heh

And which is Larry.

and which is Larry.

originally I was going to say, "which is witch" but stuck with a more neutral tone. Besides I like Nancy.

barton

« Reply #3340 on: March 10, 2021, 02:43:43 PM »

Situation normal:  Earth still planet of the insane

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/10/cold-war-era-weapon-100bn-us-plan-to-build-new-nuclear-missile-sparks-concern

An independent assessment by the Rand corporation at about the same time, suggested the cost of a totally new weapon could cost two to three times more.

An effort by Congress to mandate an independent study on the comparative costs was blocked in 2019 with the help of the industry lobby.

The current estimate is that the basic acquisition costs of the GBSD will be $100bn, while the total cost of building, operating and maintaining it over its projected lifespan to 2075 is projected as $264bn.

The report is being published as the Biden administration is preparing its first defence budget which may reveal its intentions towards the GBSD, which is in its early stages...   

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: March 10, 2021, 02:48:21 PM »

I had a few acting teachers who worked on "The Young and the Restless" to make money while they were teaching, one was Karen Hensel, I would watch her on television in the morning and then she would teach me acting in the afternoon. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Hensel

Salute,

Tony V.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: March 10, 2021, 02:50:08 PM »

Exactly

2022 House races.  Just around the corner.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: March 10, 2021, 02:53:01 PM »

COVID-19 has helped to point this out, but it is unclear that it has pointed it out sufficiently to the people who most need to be convinced.

And... despite my agreeing with this, the "education" "system" still needs to be overhauled to a frightening degree.

What is the average US secondary school teacher bringing down?

It really depends on where one teaches.  But then you have to consider that many, many schools in the USA do not provide budgeting for classroom supplies, and teachers often do so themselves. Also, the COLA in NY is a lot different than Mississippi. And there are other forms of support in schools like in the great state of NJ---education foundations, for example. They don't exist in most states.

Here is some data for you to sift through: https://www.edweek.org/teaching-learning/which-states-have-the-highest-and-lowest-teacher-salaries/2019/04

If properly done any supplies bought comes back at least partially on taxes.

Call it a trade-off with perks like additional funds for coaching 7th grade field hockey.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 2929