Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 2931

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 766132 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

luee

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5416 on: April 15, 2021, 04:32:00 PM »

---Biden sanctions Russia, expels diplomats over election interference
The moves are sure to escalate already rising tensions and are likely to be met with some Russian reprisal.---

Lets start the cold war again? Should be focused on international resolutions rather than destroying the commies.

Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5417 on: April 15, 2021, 04:35:47 PM »

Wow

Supreme Court justices being slandered today.

Juvenile and classless.

Total asscrack, this Megan Hatcher-Mays

Juvenile, classless asscrack.

Oh, you know her?

No. Not at all.

However,I do know you.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5418 on: April 15, 2021, 04:39:26 PM »

---Biden sanctions Russia, expels diplomats over election interference
The moves are sure to escalate already rising tensions and are likely to be met with some Russian reprisal.---

Lets start the cold war again? Should be focused on international resolutions rather than destroying the commies.

Fuck the Russians.

They’re going broke as a nation and they know it and so do the people. The oligarchs have bled the nation dry.

Putin trying to intimidate his way through the coming collapse of the oil and gas industry because Russia is nothing but a gas station with nukes.

Big deal.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #5420 on: April 15, 2021, 06:08:45 PM »

How important is the climate change threat?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/15/business/jpmorgan-climate-crisis-inequality/index.html

JP Morgan is putting $2.5 trillion into it.

A trillion here,  a trillion there,  pretty soon you're talking real money.   

Topsoil restoration will take massive investment, too.  No-till farming,  "green manure, " etc.
It might be useful to pay attention to scientists who actually look at all aspects of climate change and have one warning to people like you and Josh:
 “Stop us­ing the worst-case sce­nario for cli­mate warm­ing as the most likely out­come.” https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00177-3

That has nothing to do with JPMs plans,  or the farm article.  Studies of soil loss are not done by the IPCC.  I know one of the researchers at the University of Nebraska who contributed to the current estimate. 

And scientists present multiple warming scenarios.  If a shlock media outlet picks only the worst to report,  that's sensation mongering,  and not something I've supported here.

When I post here,  I don't select the most dire scenario, and so am not really in need of your "warning."

A recent report of reputable climate scientists has pointed out that most estimates of where we'd be in 2020, made a couple decades ago,  were actually overly conservative.   Rates of pack ice and glacier melt,  methane rise,  fire incidence, habitat loss,  etc were worse than initially expected.   There seems to be an accelerated effect due to positive feedback.
A secret report?

Not really.   First one I read was in Sci Am a few years ago....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/climate-science-predictions-prove-too-conservative/

More recently,  a book was written on the trend of overly conservative projections, discussed here....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/25/the-real-reason-some-scientists-downplay-the-risks-of-climate-change

However,  in terms of predicting the mean global temperature increase, the models have been pretty accurate....

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/12/4/20991315/climate-change-prediction-models-accurate

So,  accurate on temps,  too conservative on the effects of that temperature rise average.   If that distinction isn't clear,  you can reread the articles.   Googling "permafrost melting" is another possible way to see how feedback effects come into play,  where you have ancient bogs thawing and releasing methane and carbon both.   The general term "cryosphere" is handy in further understanding of how melting surfaces generally increase Earths absorption of heat.  Ice is like a mirror,  reflecting heat back into space.  When it's melted,  the resulting open land,  or bog,  or ocean,  all become vastly better heat sinks.   

barton

« Reply #5421 on: April 15, 2021, 06:12:42 PM »

Wow

Supreme Court justices being slandered today.

Juvenile and classless.

Total asscrack, this Megan Hatcher-Mays

Juvenile, classless asscrack.

Oh, you know her?

No. Not at all.

However,I do know you.

Her tweet today on the last three SCOTUS appointments seemed accurate,  which explains why Kid lobs a juvenile insult rather than address her specific points.   Truth Hertz Donut? 

barton

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: April 15, 2021, 06:40:00 PM »

Has Red taken the occasion of this new record high in the stock market to renounce idiotic republican economic policies that add no growth and inevitably drive the nation into a ditch?

Have the stellar jobs numbers woken him up to that fact that only Democrats can save him from a dark cold and hungry old age?
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: April 15, 2021, 06:57:09 PM »

Monkey People; discuss: For the first time, scientists have created embryos that are a mix of human and monkey cells.

The embryos, described Thursday in the journal Cell, were created in part to try to find new ways to produce organs for people who need transplants, said the international team of scientists who collaborated in the work. But the research raises a variety of concerns.

"My first question is: Why?" said Kirstin Matthews, a fellow for science and technology at Rice University's Baker Institute. "I think the public is going to be concerned, and I am as well, that we're just kind of pushing forward with science without having a proper conversation about what we should or should not do."

Still, the scientists who conducted the research, and some other bioethicists defended the experiment.

"This is one of the major problems in medicine — organ transplantation," said Juan Carlos Izpisua Belmonte, a professor in the Gene Expression Laboratory of the Salk Institute for Biological Sciences in La Jolla, Calif., and a co-author of the Cell study. "The demand for that is much higher than the supply."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/04/15/987164563/scientists-create-early-embryos-that-are-part-human-part-monkey

If only Charlton Heston were alive to see this!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: April 15, 2021, 07:54:50 PM »

How important is the climate change threat?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/15/business/jpmorgan-climate-crisis-inequality/index.html

JP Morgan is putting $2.5 trillion into it.

A trillion here,  a trillion there,  pretty soon you're talking real money.   

Topsoil restoration will take massive investment, too.  No-till farming,  "green manure, " etc.
It might be useful to pay attention to scientists who actually look at all aspects of climate change and have one warning to people like you and Josh:
 “Stop us­ing the worst-case sce­nario for cli­mate warm­ing as the most likely out­come.” https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00177-3

That has nothing to do with JPMs plans,  or the farm article.  Studies of soil loss are not done by the IPCC.  I know one of the researchers at the University of Nebraska who contributed to the current estimate. 

And scientists present multiple warming scenarios.  If a shlock media outlet picks only the worst to report,  that's sensation mongering,  and not something I've supported here.

When I post here,  I don't select the most dire scenario, and so am not really in need of your "warning."

A recent report of reputable climate scientists has pointed out that most estimates of where we'd be in 2020, made a couple decades ago,  were actually overly conservative.   Rates of pack ice and glacier melt,  methane rise,  fire incidence, habitat loss,  etc were worse than initially expected.   There seems to be an accelerated effect due to positive feedback.
A secret report?

Not really.   First one I read was in Sci Am a few years ago....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/climate-science-predictions-prove-too-conservative/

More recently,  a book was written on the trend of overly conservative projections, discussed here....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/25/the-real-reason-some-scientists-downplay-the-risks-of-climate-change

However,  in terms of predicting the mean global temperature increase, the models have been pretty accurate....

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/12/4/20991315/climate-change-prediction-models-accurate

So,  accurate on temps,  too conservative on the effects of that temperature rise average.   If that distinction isn't clear,  you can reread the articles.   Googling "permafrost melting" is another possible way to see how feedback effects come into play,  where you have ancient bogs thawing and releasing methane and carbon both.   The general term "cryosphere" is handy in further understanding of how melting surfaces generally increase Earths absorption of heat.  Ice is like a mirror,  reflecting heat back into space.  When it's melted,  the resulting open land,  or bog,  or ocean,  all become vastly better heat sinks.
All of which misses the point.

Surging sea levels are inundating the coasts.”

“Hurricanes and tornadoes are becoming fiercer and more frequent.”

“Climate change will be an economic disaster.”

You’ve heard all this presented as fact. But according to science,  all of these statements are profoundly misleading.

That’s from the Amazon ad touting a new book by Steve Koonin, a the­o­ret­i­cal physi­cist and chief sci­en­tist of the Obama En­ergy De­partment.

In an advance reading by Holman Jenkins of the WSJ ­Koonin’s  point is what  the
plain, rec­og­nized, con­sensus  sci­ence says about cli­mate change:
It won’t be cat­astrophic.
It’s un­likely to be in­flu­enced in a ma­jor way by pol­icy ac­tions.
The costs will be large in re­la­tion to everything ex­cept the fu­ture, richer econ­omy that will eas­ily pay for them.

That underscores the priority of growing our economy to meet those demands.

Maybe you should put it in your reading list.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: April 15, 2021, 08:04:08 PM »

http://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/04/15/republican-party-big-business-georgia-voting-rights-conservative-481978

Republicans make themselves lonelier by the day. They are mastering the art of hemorrhaging support. It’s all they have the wherewithal to accomplish.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5429 on: April 15, 2021, 08:38:23 PM »

Congratulations Senator John Cornyn, you played yourself!

Some poor staffer is out of job today...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/john-cornyn-kristen-clarke-satire_n_60777a54e4b0293a7eddda71

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 2931