Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 2931

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 766090 times)

barton

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5430 on: April 15, 2021, 08:50:44 PM »

How important is the climate change threat?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/15/business/jpmorgan-climate-crisis-inequality/index.html

JP Morgan is putting $2.5 trillion into it.

A trillion here,  a trillion there,  pretty soon you're talking real money.   

Topsoil restoration will take massive investment, too.  No-till farming,  "green manure, " etc.
It might be useful to pay attention to scientists who actually look at all aspects of climate change and have one warning to people like you and Josh:
 “Stop us­ing the worst-case sce­nario for cli­mate warm­ing as the most likely out­come.” https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00177-3

That has nothing to do with JPMs plans,  or the farm article.  Studies of soil loss are not done by the IPCC.  I know one of the researchers at the University of Nebraska who contributed to the current estimate. 

And scientists present multiple warming scenarios.  If a shlock media outlet picks only the worst to report,  that's sensation mongering,  and not something I've supported here.

When I post here,  I don't select the most dire scenario, and so am not really in need of your "warning."

A recent report of reputable climate scientists has pointed out that most estimates of where we'd be in 2020, made a couple decades ago,  were actually overly conservative.   Rates of pack ice and glacier melt,  methane rise,  fire incidence, habitat loss,  etc were worse than initially expected.   There seems to be an accelerated effect due to positive feedback.
A secret report?

Not really.   First one I read was in Sci Am a few years ago....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/climate-science-predictions-prove-too-conservative/

More recently,  a book was written on the trend of overly conservative projections, discussed here....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/25/the-real-reason-some-scientists-downplay-the-risks-of-climate-change

However,  in terms of predicting the mean global temperature increase, the models have been pretty accurate....

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/12/4/20991315/climate-change-prediction-models-accurate

So,  accurate on temps,  too conservative on the effects of that temperature rise average.   If that distinction isn't clear,  you can reread the articles.   Googling "permafrost melting" is another possible way to see how feedback effects come into play,  where you have ancient bogs thawing and releasing methane and carbon both.   The general term "cryosphere" is handy in further understanding of how melting surfaces generally increase Earths absorption of heat.  Ice is like a mirror,  reflecting heat back into space.  When it's melted,  the resulting open land,  or bog,  or ocean,  all become vastly better heat sinks.
All of which misses the point.

Surging sea levels are inundating the coasts.”

“Hurricanes and tornadoes are becoming fiercer and more frequent.”

“Climate change will be an economic disaster.”

You’ve heard all this presented as fact. But according to science,  all of these statements are profoundly misleading.

That’s from the Amazon ad touting a new book by Steve Koonin, a the­o­ret­i­cal physi­cist and chief sci­en­tist of the Obama En­ergy De­partment.

In an advance reading by Holman Jenkins of the WSJ ­Koonin’s  point is what  the
plain, rec­og­nized, con­sensus  sci­ence says about cli­mate change:
It won’t be cat­astrophic.
It’s un­likely to be in­flu­enced in a ma­jor way by pol­icy ac­tions.
The costs will be large in re­la­tion to everything ex­cept the fu­ture, richer econ­omy that will eas­ily pay for them.

That underscores the priority of growing our economy to meet those demands.

Maybe you should put it in your reading list.

I might,  but be aware Steve Koonin has no training or work experience in atmospheric physics, climatology,  or earth sciences.   He taught theoretical physics decades ago,  then went to work for BP.  And he was paid by Trump administration to "red team" at the EPA, organized to attack the scientific consensus on GW.   His projections on the "minor" consequences of a NINE DEGREE F.  rise in mean global temperature are considered laughably ludicrous by scientists with actual expertise in the field.  His understanding of positive feedback cycles and tipping points appears to be dim.   His knowledge of agricultural effects,  nonexistent.   So,  to recap:  paid shill for a petroleum company and Trump hatchet man against science,  but sure,  I'm salivatin' to be reading his new book.   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: April 15, 2021, 09:30:46 PM »

How important is the climate change threat?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/15/business/jpmorgan-climate-crisis-inequality/index.html

JP Morgan is putting $2.5 trillion into it.

A trillion here,  a trillion there,  pretty soon you're talking real money.   

Topsoil restoration will take massive investment, too.  No-till farming,  "green manure, " etc.
It might be useful to pay attention to scientists who actually look at all aspects of climate change and have one warning to people like you and Josh:
 “Stop us­ing the worst-case sce­nario for cli­mate warm­ing as the most likely out­come.” https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00177-3

That has nothing to do with JPMs plans,  or the farm article.  Studies of soil loss are not done by the IPCC.  I know one of the researchers at the University of Nebraska who contributed to the current estimate. 

And scientists present multiple warming scenarios.  If a shlock media outlet picks only the worst to report,  that's sensation mongering,  and not something I've supported here.

When I post here,  I don't select the most dire scenario, and so am not really in need of your "warning."

A recent report of reputable climate scientists has pointed out that most estimates of where we'd be in 2020, made a couple decades ago,  were actually overly conservative.   Rates of pack ice and glacier melt,  methane rise,  fire incidence, habitat loss,  etc were worse than initially expected.   There seems to be an accelerated effect due to positive feedback.
A secret report?

Not really.   First one I read was in Sci Am a few years ago....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/climate-science-predictions-prove-too-conservative/

More recently,  a book was written on the trend of overly conservative projections, discussed here....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/25/the-real-reason-some-scientists-downplay-the-risks-of-climate-change

However,  in terms of predicting the mean global temperature increase, the models have been pretty accurate....

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/12/4/20991315/climate-change-prediction-models-accurate

So,  accurate on temps,  too conservative on the effects of that temperature rise average.   If that distinction isn't clear,  you can reread the articles.   Googling "permafrost melting" is another possible way to see how feedback effects come into play,  where you have ancient bogs thawing and releasing methane and carbon both.   The general term "cryosphere" is handy in further understanding of how melting surfaces generally increase Earths absorption of heat.  Ice is like a mirror,  reflecting heat back into space.  When it's melted,  the resulting open land,  or bog,  or ocean,  all become vastly better heat sinks.
All of which misses the point.

Surging sea levels are inundating the coasts.”

“Hurricanes and tornadoes are becoming fiercer and more frequent.”

“Climate change will be an economic disaster.”

You’ve heard all this presented as fact. But according to science,  all of these statements are profoundly misleading.

That’s from the Amazon ad touting a new book by Steve Koonin, a the­o­ret­i­cal physi­cist and chief sci­en­tist of the Obama En­ergy De­partment.

In an advance reading by Holman Jenkins of the WSJ ­Koonin’s  point is what  the
plain, rec­og­nized, con­sensus  sci­ence says about cli­mate change:
It won’t be cat­astrophic.
It’s un­likely to be in­flu­enced in a ma­jor way by pol­icy ac­tions.
The costs will be large in re­la­tion to everything ex­cept the fu­ture, richer econ­omy that will eas­ily pay for them.

That underscores the priority of growing our economy to meet those demands.

Maybe you should put it in your reading list.

I might,  but be aware Steve Koonin has no training or work experience in atmospheric physics, climatology,  or earth sciences. 
These are criteria YOU choose to discuss climate change?
Actually you dismiss Koonin only because anybody who has a differing  view must be a climate change
 “ denier”.
You are not interested in honest discussions with anyone other than those who agree with you.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: April 15, 2021, 09:34:37 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/04/15/jim-jordan-dr-anthony-fauci-heated-exchange-hearing-vpx.cnn

Let's go!!!!

Over the fucking ledge...

Gym Jordan and his Pedo caucus seem extra twitchy about a lot of things these days. Not a good look for them, with all the flop sweat.

Maybe someone someone got around to telling Gym that WhatsApp isn’t really private.

Auntie Maxine put the colicky child in his place right quick before it turned into the scene from Airplane.

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: April 15, 2021, 09:40:06 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/04/15/jim-jordan-dr-anthony-fauci-heated-exchange-hearing-vpx.cnn

Let's go!!!!

john Boehner calls Jim Jordan a political terrorist.

He elaborates: "I just never saw a guy who spent more time tearing things apart ― never building anything, never putting anything together."

True. What has Jim Jordan ever done for the people of Ohio? Or the people of the United States?

Zilch.

Zip.

Nada.

Jim Jordan is all about Jim Jordan.

And what else has the former Speaker said of this putz?

Breaking the ice, I mention some news of the day—that Trey Gowdy appears likely to become chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. The previous chairman, Jason Chaffetz, had abruptly announced his resignation from Congress; House conservatives had hoped that Jim Jordan, a senior member on the committee, might pursue the chairmanship. Boehner grins. “Gowdy—that’s my guy, even though he doesn’t know how to dress,” he says. Then Boehner leans back in his chair. “Fuck Jordan. Fuck Chaffetz. They’re both assholes.”

“Fuck Jordan. Fuck Chaffetz. They’re both assholes.”

...His problems with Jordan, the founding chairman of the ultraconservative House Freedom Caucus, run much deeper. To Boehner and his allies, Jordan was the antagonist in the story of his speakership—an embodiment of the brinkmanship and betrayal that roiled the House Republican majority and made Boehner’s life miserable. Although he would tell me in later conversations that he holds no grudges against anyone, today Boehner unloads on his fellow Ohioan. “Jordan was a terrorist as a legislator going back to his days in the Ohio House and Senate,” Boehner says. “A terrorist. A legislative terrorist.”

Just clarifying who you're rooting for, kid. An asshole political terrorist.

Have at it.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: April 15, 2021, 09:44:11 PM »

Scientific American magazine announced Monday that it would stop using the term "climate change" in articles about man-made global warming and substitute "climate emergency" instead.

"Journalism should reflect what science says: the climate emergency is here," Scientific American senior editor Mark Fischetti said in a Monday post about the magazine's decision.

To make his point, Fischetti pointed to the mounting number of weather-related disasters that most scientists agree stem from climate change.

"A hurricane blasts Florida. A California dam bursts because floods have piled water high up behind it. A sudden, record-setting cold snap cuts power to the entire state of Texas," Fischetti wrote. "These are also emergencies that require immediate action. Multiply these situations worldwide, and you have the biggest environmental emergency to beset the earth in millennia: climate change."

The oldest continuously published magazine in the U.S., Scientific American is not alone it its decision to highlight what it sees as an emergency requiring immediate action. It joined the Columbia Journalism Review, the Nation, the Guardian, Noticias Telemundo, Al Jazeera, Japan's Asahi Shimbun and Italy's La Repubblica in releasing a statement about the change in language.

"The planet is heating up way too fast. It’s time for journalism to recognize that the climate emergency is here," the statement said, adding, "Why 'emergency'? Because words matter. To preserve a livable planet, humanity must take action immediately."

https://news.yahoo.com/citing-grave-threat-scientific-american-replacing-climate-change-with-climate-emergency-181629578.html

Red is, as usual, out of step with reality.

He's the Jim Jordan of the forum.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: April 15, 2021, 09:59:25 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/health/breakthrough-infections-covid-vaccines-cdc/index.html

5800 fully vaccinated folks have caught COVID-19 subsequent to their vaccinations.

74 of them have died.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: April 15, 2021, 10:18:40 PM »

I am very very surprised Fauci has not resigned
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: April 15, 2021, 10:33:05 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/health/breakthrough-infections-covid-vaccines-cdc/index.html

5800 fully vaccinated folks have caught COVID-19 subsequent to their vaccinations.

74 of them have died.
77 million have been vaccinated.
The effective rate of the combined 3 vaccines is.99992468

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: April 15, 2021, 10:55:06 PM »

I am very very surprised Fauci has not resigned

He probably did it just to spite you.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: April 15, 2021, 10:55:49 PM »

Yesterday a white man in Minnesota assaulted a retail worker, rammed into a police car, hit a cop in the head with a HAMMER, then drove off with the cop STILL ATTACHED to his vehicle. Was he shot? NO. Was he tased? NO. What a stark contrast to Daunte Wright...

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: April 15, 2021, 11:59:05 PM »

Okay, so proper word choice matters a ton, sometimes. This is one of those times.

But other than that, I agree with the sentiment, 100%.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: April 16, 2021, 12:12:08 AM »

I guess Mac knows someone who has defended the killing.

Must hang with Boogie on Twitter
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: April 16, 2021, 12:31:28 AM »

Your asshole is showing again, you pasty worthless fuck.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: April 16, 2021, 12:49:20 AM »

This is not the only place with such problems. I hope that they manage to not lose any more police to this crap.

https://www.valleycentral.com/news/state-news/texas-police-officer-shot-multiple-times-during-traffic-stop-wednesday-morning-4th-in-last-three-weeks

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: April 16, 2021, 04:53:13 AM »

This is not the only place with such problems. I hope that they manage to not lose any more police to this crap.

https://www.valleycentral.com/news/state-news/texas-police-officer-shot-multiple-times-during-traffic-stop-wednesday-morning-4th-in-last-three-weeks

The idea of police officers walking up to the windows of cars in traffic stops is floored.
Leaves the officers wide open to this sort of thing, gunned down by occupants.

There should always be 2 officers in every police car.
Both should get out of the car at traffic stops.
All occupants of cars at traffic stops should have to get out the cars, hands in air, move to the gutter side of the road. One officer to have a machine gun trained on them.
Problem solved. No officers shot.

The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 2931