Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 2930

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 765867 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5490 on: April 17, 2021, 08:32:41 AM »

If we stop hearing from Red or Kiid, it’s most likely they’ve been tracked to their accounts on thedonald.com

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2021/4/16/2026131/-Pro-Trump-website-TheDonald-confirms-detailed-plans-to-storm-Capitol-and-kill-members-of-Congress

Time to throw all these stormcrackers in America’s worst prisons and to throw away the keys.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: April 17, 2021, 08:59:39 AM »

http://www.vox.com/first-person/22384104/daunte-wright-police-shooting-black-lives-matter-traffic-stops

If cops stop harassing Black people, they’d have time to round up the murderous crackers running around which would actually be an effective way to keep the public safe.

barton

« Reply #5492 on: April 17, 2021, 09:43:55 AM »

Unlike the adults in the room,  the Kidster might not grasp that dozens of administrations (and congresses)  have failed on gun control.   Cowering before gun lobbies and pseudo-Constitutionalists is The American Way.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: April 17, 2021, 09:51:16 AM »

Maybe it's a more complicated issue than your thoughts on the NRA would have people think.

Have a wonderful Saturday
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: April 17, 2021, 10:08:44 AM »

Unlike the adults in the room,  the Kidster might not grasp that dozens of administrations (and congresses)  have failed on gun control.   Cowering before gun lobbies and pseudo-Constitutionalists is The American Way.   
PseudoConstitutionLists?
The right to own a gun in America existed long before the Constitution.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: April 17, 2021, 10:25:43 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/16/politics/george-w-bush-immigration/index.html

He is a bit weak, comparatively speaking, but may just be time for Brother Jeb in '24.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: April 17, 2021, 11:15:04 AM »

Chauvin's lawyer said, he acted in line with departmental policies, doing "exactly what he had been trained to do over his 19-year career." How could his use of force be excessive or deadly if it was precisely what the Minneapolis Police Department prescribed as a "[n]on-deadly force option"?

Against this the prosecution marshalled Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo, who said Chauvin's restraint "is not part of our training" and "in no way, shape, or form is anything that is by policy." A Minneapolis police lieutenant called it "totally unnecessary." A use-of-force expert from the Los Angeles Police Department deemed the hold excessive and a violation of Chauvin's responsibility as an officer. No "reasonable officer," said another expert, Seth Stoughton, "would have believed [what Chauvin did] was an appropriate, acceptable, or reasonable use of force."

I think Stoughton is absolutely right and the defense, by and large, is wrong. But there's one point on which the defense is on solid ground and the prosecution's case is shaky: Arradondo's claim that what Chauvin did isn't MPD policy. The department has since changed its rules, so it's not part of their training now, but last summer the MPD specifically permitted neck restraints applied via the officer's "leg."

This is what makes the jury's task legitimately difficult, despite how straightforward the video seemed. What Chauvin did was indefensible; in moral terms, I think "murder" is the right word. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's the right legal term given that departmental policy and the details of Minnesota law.

That policy means the use-of-force question is legitimately open in this legal sense, and the legal sense is where the jury's decision must be confined. Moral excess may not be legal excess, not because the moral excess isn't real and serious but because the legal reform we need is far bigger than any one man or death. Chauvin may be acquitted, but if he is, that acquittal is a guilty verdict for the police department policy that made it possible.

https://theweek.com/articles/977299/question-that-decide-chauvin-case

He has as much chance as a fart in a whirlwind to be acquitted.

The best he can hope for is a hung jury.

Why are you off topic?

That should have been his defense from the get go... but it wasn’t. What it is now is like the faucet of the kitchen sink defense.

I guess you don't read very well. The piece wasn't about his defense. It was about the law, its application, and the ramifications of police policies.

If you werent so prejudiced and biased, you might have read it as it was written.

You don’t understand what you posted.

Thanks for proving my point.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5498 on: April 17, 2021, 11:36:05 AM »

Chauvin's lawyer said, he acted in line with departmental policies, doing "exactly what he had been trained to do over his 19-year career." How could his use of force be excessive or deadly if it was precisely what the Minneapolis Police Department prescribed as a "[n]on-deadly force option"?

Against this the prosecution marshalled Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo, who said Chauvin's restraint "is not part of our training" and "in no way, shape, or form is anything that is by policy." A Minneapolis police lieutenant called it "totally unnecessary." A use-of-force expert from the Los Angeles Police Department deemed the hold excessive and a violation of Chauvin's responsibility as an officer. No "reasonable officer," said another expert, Seth Stoughton, "would have believed [what Chauvin did] was an appropriate, acceptable, or reasonable use of force."

I think Stoughton is absolutely right and the defense, by and large, is wrong. But there's one point on which the defense is on solid ground and the prosecution's case is shaky: Arradondo's claim that what Chauvin did isn't MPD policy. The department has since changed its rules, so it's not part of their training now, but last summer the MPD specifically permitted neck restraints applied via the officer's "leg."

This is what makes the jury's task legitimately difficult, despite how straightforward the video seemed. What Chauvin did was indefensible; in moral terms, I think "murder" is the right word. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's the right legal term given that departmental policy and the details of Minnesota law.

That policy means the use-of-force question is legitimately open in this legal sense, and the legal sense is where the jury's decision must be confined. Moral excess may not be legal excess, not because the moral excess isn't real and serious but because the legal reform we need is far bigger than any one man or death. Chauvin may be acquitted, but if he is, that acquittal is a guilty verdict for the police department policy that made it possible.

Why are you off topic?

That should have been his defense from the get go... but it wasn’t. What it is now is like the faucet of the kitchen sink defense.

I guess you don't read very well. The piece wasn't about his defense. It was about the law, its application, and the ramifications of police policies.

If you werent so prejudiced and biased, you might have read it as it was written.

The only point you have is the one on top of your head.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: April 17, 2021, 11:51:57 AM »

PseudoConstitutionLists?
The right to own a gun in America existed long before the Constitution.

Part and parcel with the right to own people and treat them as property. It’s time for shooter’s rights to join slaver’s rights on the dustbin of History.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: April 17, 2021, 01:52:40 PM »

Kimberly Holmes: What Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth's relationship teaches us about our own

Please, we fought a revolution to escape the humiliation and expense of a mangod.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: April 17, 2021, 03:58:03 PM »

Why are you off topic?

Wow, Larry, quite the rejoinder. You just can't help but to keep underscoring your own idiocy.

READ it again: "The piece wasn't about his defense. It was about the law, its application, and the ramifications of police policies."

You may now GFY.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5502 on: April 17, 2021, 05:11:26 PM »

Why are you off topic?

Wow, Larry, quite the rejoinder. You just can't help but to keep underscoring your own idiocy.

READ it again: "The piece wasn't about his defense. It was about the law, its application, and the ramifications of police policies."

You may now GFY.

Too funny.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: April 17, 2021, 05:43:35 PM »

A sign of comparative sanity from Rep. Greene:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/17/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-america-first-caucus/index.html

I expect this is just a pause in her plans, not a true scrapping of them.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5504 on: April 17, 2021, 07:04:12 PM »

A sign of comparative sanity from Rep. Greene:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/17/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-america-first-caucus/index.html

I expect this is just a pause in her plans, not a true scrapping of them.

She’s so full of shit the whites of her eyes are brown.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 2930