Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 2930

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 765819 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5566 on: April 19, 2021, 10:15:58 AM »

Yet another thing about which you have no idea but feel compelled to address. Your concept of a real American is to a real American what cheese whiz is to cheese.

You have no idea what it means to be an American. You'd make a great member of the Chinese Communist Party of the 1960's, though.

Keep working on the Cultural Revolution, dimwit.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 10:17:53 AM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: April 19, 2021, 10:22:49 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/18/politics/michael-ellis-resignation-nsa/index.html

Michael Ellis was appointed to be the top NSA lawyer right before Trump left office. It was a blatantly partisan move done at a sufficiently unusual time as to raise eyebrows, but sufficiently common that there is a name for the practice: burrowing.

He was placed on administrative leave on the first day of the Biden administration, pending completion of a DoD investigation and has been on that same leave for 90 days, now, without any discussion or direct involvement in the investigation, he says.

He's resigned.

I hate the ability of an outgoing president to appoint people to such positions in that way. I think it's wrong and any appointments to civil service positions after one has lost an election should automatically be temporary.

That said, I think this freezing of a man's life by an incoming administration without apparent cause other than politics for an ostensibly non-political position is at least equally problematic.

Not that my opinion matters a can of beans.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: April 19, 2021, 10:24:24 AM »

Have to say, people going around proclaiming what a REAL American would or would not do is about as American as it gets.

Not in a good way.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #5570 on: April 19, 2021, 10:24:42 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

(a propos of the who's a real American chat)

barton

« Reply #5571 on: April 19, 2021, 10:28:25 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/18/politics/michael-ellis-resignation-nsa/index.html

Michael Ellis was appointed to be the top NSA lawyer right before Trump left office. It was a blatantly partisan move done at a sufficiently unusual time as to raise eyebrows, but sufficiently common that there is a name for the practice: burrowing.

He was placed on administrative leave on the first day of the Biden administration, pending completion of a DoD investigation and has been on that same leave for 90 days, now, without any discussion or direct involvement in the investigation, he says.

He's resigned.

I hate the ability of an outgoing president to appoint people to such positions in that way. I think it's wrong and any appointments to civil service positions after one has lost an election should automatically be temporary.

That said, I think this freezing of a man's life by an incoming administration without apparent cause other than politics for an ostensibly non-political position is at least equally problematic.

If there were any logical consistency to Mitch McConnell, he would vigorously oppose burrowing and sponsor legislation to end it.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: April 19, 2021, 10:30:42 AM »

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

barton

« Reply #5573 on: April 19, 2021, 10:36:32 AM »

...Of course, the lawyer responds. I have a huge yard.

One of my favorite lawyer jokes.   When I was doing IT work in a law library,  I got to know a couple of judges both who loved to tell lawyer jokes.   Some were great, like that one,  some were just over-the-top vicious (but still pretty funny).  What's brown and black and looks good on a lawyer?   A Doberman.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: April 19, 2021, 10:42:17 AM »

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: April 19, 2021, 11:00:40 AM »

He's resigned.

If there were any logical consistency to Mitch McConnell, he would vigorously oppose burrowing and sponsor legislation to end it.

An absurd supposition.

There is logical consistency to Mitch McConnell, Barton:

Do what serves himself, his power, and his wealthy supporters.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5577 on: April 19, 2021, 11:01:25 AM »

One of my favorite lawyer jokes.   When I was doing IT work in a law library,  I got to know a couple of judges both who loved to tell lawyer jokes.   Some were great, like that one,  some were just over-the-top vicious (but still pretty funny).  What's brown and black and looks good on a lawyer?   A Doberman.

What’s one hundred lawyers in the hold of a sinking ship?

A good start.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: April 19, 2021, 11:29:33 AM »

A trial judge once told me: how many trial judges does it take to change a light bulb? Just one, but it takes two lawyers, four briefs and a remand from the Court of Appeals to tell him how to do it.
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 2930