Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 2930

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 765754 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5580 on: April 19, 2021, 12:45:54 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/19/politics/supreme-court-tosses-gop-2020-election-challenge/index.html
s.
Another day, another rejection of specious GOP challenges to the 2020 election, repudiating Kid's bogus claim
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: April 19, 2021, 12:49:20 PM »

---Border fiasco spurs a blame game inside Biden world.---

The new scapegoat, Health Secretary Xavier Becerra. What do you mean we dont have shelters and food and health for millions of motherless children? Kick out the Vets and the poor.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/16/hhs-becerra-biden-migrant-kids-482582
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5583 on: April 19, 2021, 02:03:22 PM »

The defense’s closing arguments would get any civilian defendant thrown under the fucking the jail.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: April 19, 2021, 02:09:33 PM »

https://www.preview.cnn.com/2021/04/19/politics/maxine-waters-derek-chauvin-trial/index.html

Not helpful by Rep. Waters, IMO.

There is a difference between acknowledgment of motivations for violent protest and urging folks to become more "confrontational."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 02:14:58 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: April 19, 2021, 02:14:32 PM »

And this feels like a removal for political reasons of somebody who seems to have done nothing outside of mainstream science just because of whose administration she was appointed during.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/19/politics/white-house-removes-trump-era-scientist/index.html

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5587 on: April 19, 2021, 02:54:57 PM »

https://www.preview.cnn.com/2021/04/19/politics/maxine-waters-derek-chauvin-trial/index.html

Not helpful by Rep. Waters, IMO.

There is a difference between acknowledgment of motivations for violent protest and urging folks to become more "confrontational."

No justice, no peace. Power accedes nothing without demand. Give me liberty or...

Ya know?

This is an old tv show rebooted for the umpteenth time and folks act as if they’ve never seen it before.

When you condemn the protest more so than the motivation for same it maintains status quo.

Responding to protests of police violence with more police violence is sort of counterproductive in my view.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: April 19, 2021, 03:09:48 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/18/politics/michael-ellis-resignation-nsa/index.html

Michael Ellis was appointed to be the top NSA lawyer right before Trump left office. It was a blatantly partisan move done at a sufficiently unusual time as to raise eyebrows, but sufficiently common that there is a name for the practice: burrowing.

He was placed on administrative leave on the first day of the Biden administration, pending completion of a DoD investigation and has been on that same leave for 90 days, now, without any discussion or direct involvement in the investigation, he says.

He's resigned.

I hate the ability of an outgoing president to appoint people to such positions in that way. I think it's wrong and any appointments to civil service positions after one has lost an election should automatically be temporary.

That said, I think this freezing of a man's life by an incoming administration without apparent cause other than politics for an ostensibly non-political position is at least equally problematic.

Not that my opinion matters a can of beans.

If there were any logical consistency to Mitch McConnell, he would vigorously oppose burrowing and sponsor legislation to end it.
What are you babbling about? Existing laws and regulations empower the Office of Personnel Management to review attempted conversions and has since Carter was President.

If OPM believes a conversion violates federal hiring laws or regulations, it may reject the conversion. If OPM finds the agency’s conversion attempt violates the federal government’s prohibited personnel practices, it may refer the issue to the Office of Special Counsel for investigation.

On occasion, agencies have converted political appointees without going through the OPM review process. In those cases, OPM retroactively reviews the conversions and issues any necessary corrective actions, which can include re-advertising the position. Recently, the U.S. Court of Appeals upheld the firing of an appointee who had converted to a career position without an OPM review.

Fortunately the OPM has lots of other things to do since conversion requests are rare, just 99 requests from January 2010 to March of 2016, the latest report available.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: April 19, 2021, 03:10:36 PM »

At some level, like it or not, there is a public relations aspect to getting the change which is needed and sometimes kicking the door down is the way to go.  Sometimes.  I don't think the urging of more violence is the way to go this time. 
"I like your smile, and your fingertips
I like the way that you move your hips
I like the cool way you look at me
Everything about you is bringing me misery..."--Bob Dylan

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: April 19, 2021, 03:15:31 PM »

"Community leaders have warned that anything less than a murder conviction will be acceptable [and there'll be more rioting like last year]".

#####

Is that blackmail, obstruction of justice, and bullying the court / justice system?
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5591 on: April 19, 2021, 03:16:00 PM »

At some level, like it or not, there is a public relations aspect to getting the change which is needed and sometimes kicking the door down is the way to go.  Sometimes.  I don't think the urging of more violence is the way to go this time.

I agree. Urging violence is never a good thing .*

It’s not the way to go this time.

Or last time.

Or the time before that..

etc, etc, etc.

*Dont tell that to the Sons of Liberty.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5592 on: April 19, 2021, 03:19:55 PM »

He is literally blaming Floyd for getting himself killed.

He’s playing the video over and over to refute prosecution medical evidence.... so the jury can see the defendant murder Floyd over and over again.

Is that a winning strategy?

They must think they have a juror who will buy the bullshit.. he better pray there is one in the jury who feels sorry his ass.

This close will go down as an EPIC faceplant.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: April 19, 2021, 03:21:34 PM »

I agree. Urging violence is never a good thing .*

It’s not the way to go this time.

Or last time.

Or the time before that..

etc, etc, etc.

*Dont tell that to the Sons of Liberty.
So you agree with me?  Or don't? 
"I like your smile, and your fingertips
I like the way that you move your hips
I like the cool way you look at me
Everything about you is bringing me misery..."--Bob Dylan

barton

« Reply #5594 on: April 19, 2021, 03:38:26 PM »

He is literally blaming Floyd for getting himself killed.

Seems like that was always the defense strategy.  Dating back to the start of Homo sapiens,  at least.   Deflect everything onto the victim. 
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 2930