Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 765268 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5896 on: April 24, 2021, 08:16:10 AM »

Poll: 73% of Americans See an Oil and Gas Future, Majority Trust Private Sector over Feds to Solve Environmental Challenges

The American Petroleum Institute, a trade group that advocates for the oil and natural gas industry and its stakeholders, wrote about a Morning Consult poll that shows that a vast majority of people see fossil fuels as the future — 73 percent believe natural gas and oil will be part of the energy landscape for decades to come and should be included in the country’s energy policies.
https://www.api.org/news-policy-and-issues/blog/2021/04/20/poll-us-voters-recognize-future-role-of-natural-gas-and-oil

Who’d they sample, Republicans in Oklahoma?

Maybe folk in Texas, who froze recently when the power grid failed. They might well vote for gas and wood burning....and gasoline cars.
"Poll: 73% of Americans See an Oil and Gas Future" is about as meaningful as one finding 73% of Americans see a horse drawn buggy future.
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #5898 on: April 24, 2021, 09:39:44 AM »

The proposals explicitly aimed at combating the climate crisis or transitioning the country away from fossil fuels saw the more marked partisan divides. For instance, 76 percent of Democrats said they would support spending $174 billion to accelerate the transition to electric vehicles, including expanding the country’s EV charging network, while just 28 percent of Republicans said the same.

Mona Dajani, a partner at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP who co-leads the firm’s energy and infrastructure team, said she would attribute the lower overall support for the EV infrastructure proposal to the fact that “we’re still at the beginning of the EV transition.”

“I expect as more EVs hit the road across the different classes and fast-charging technology becomes more commonplace, you will only see these numbers rise,” Dajani said....   

https://morningconsult.com/2021/04/07/biden-infrastructure-plan-energy-polling/

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #5899 on: April 24, 2021, 09:50:14 AM »

I looked at a few EVS this week. Not even in my ballpark for price.
"I like your smile, and your fingertips
I like the way that you move your hips
I like the cool way you look at me
Everything about you is bringing me misery..."--Bob Dylan

Oi!

• View Profile
« Reply #5900 on: April 24, 2021, 09:57:01 AM »

Better get some seagrass growing while we wait for a budget EV....

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/special-report-can-saudis-oil-money-help-him-save-planet-2021-04-23/

And it is Saudi petro-dollars that fund Duarte's dreams of creating "blue carbon" marine ecosystems – oceanic preserves that, along with revitalized forests and wildlife on land, can gently scrub the atmosphere of excess carbon dioxide. Over time, some experts estimate, such restorations could remove 300 gigatons of carbon dioxide, about a third of the amount that humans have added to the atmosphere since the Industrial Revolution in the mid-1800s. And the restoration of seagrass meadows, in particular, has tremendous promise. In fact, Duarte estimates they can store up to 15 times more carbon than similar areas of rainforest.   

I hope this isn't just "greenwashing." 
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

barton

« Reply #5901 on: April 24, 2021, 11:08:26 AM »

I trust the carbon scrubbing powers of sea meadows,  but I don't trust the Saudis.   What's really needed is the World Bank to offer nations like SA subsidies to leave it in the ground.   Kind of the way soil conservation programs pay farmers to let land go fallow.   

barton

« Reply #5902 on: April 24, 2021, 11:11:08 AM »

barton

« Reply #5903 on: April 24, 2021, 11:16:21 AM »

I looked at a few EVS this week. Not even in my ballpark for price.

If you factor in maintenance costs, which are way lower when you don't have an IC engine,  they're already cheaper over the lifespan of the vehicle.  But the sticker shock will be there,  unless you're at the low end like a Nissan Leaf.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5904 on: April 24, 2021, 11:31:40 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/watch-the-show-folks-va-trooper-no-longer-employed-after-playing-to-camera-in-violent-stop-of-black-driver/2021/04/23/21dd1b36-a3a6-11eb-85fc-06664ff4489d_story.html

This thug with a badge was fired.   If law enforcement systems can do that more consistently maybe there's hope for reform.

I’m afraid the current system is irredeemable and must be fundamentally transformed.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: April 24, 2021, 12:12:46 PM »

The proposals explicitly aimed at combating the climate crisis or transitioning the country away from fossil fuels saw the more marked partisan divides. For instance, 76 percent of Democrats said they would support spending $174 billion to accelerate the transition to electric vehicles, including expanding the country’s EV charging network, while just 28 percent of Republicans said the same.

What’s lost in that debate is perspective. 

The In­ternational En­ergy Agency in 2016 es­ti­mated that
if 50% of all new cars were electric, pe­troleum use would con­tinue to grow be­cause of “trucks, avi­a­tion and the petro-chem­i­cal in­dus­try and we don’t have ma­jor al­ter­na­tives to oil products there.

Exxon Mo­bile estimated more re­cently that
if all new cars were elec­tric by 2025, and the world’s ENTIRE fleet were elec­tric by 2040, liq­uid-fuel de­mand in 2040 would be the same as 2013’s.

The heavy equipment needed for min­ing bat­tery-re­lated min­er­als gen­er­ates emis­sions too. An electric car sit­ting in the  garage, not dis­placing a sig­nif­i­cant amount of gaso­line-pow­ered trans­porta­tion  still suck­s power out of a wall socket, which can make it a net emis­sions con­trib­u­tor.

The bottom line in the battle against “ global climate challenges “ is that EV’s replacing liquid-fueled autos is the proverbial tempest in a teapot.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 12:14:24 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

Oi!

• View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: April 24, 2021, 01:49:58 PM »

couple thoughts....

How much more petroleum would be used if we DIDN'T switch the fleet to electric?

Also, electric trucks are coming to market right now, with Tesla leading the way, so IEA might be behind the curve there, five years ago, thinking there are no alternatives.  There's also biodiesel.  And fuel cells, fed with electrolytic hydrogen.  And aviation is not a fixed thing, either, as highspeed train options may divert some passengers to a safer, less-hassle, ground-based mode of transit. 

We will probably still use petrochemicals, but not for burning so much. 

As for getting your scientific estimates from EXXON, lol!

Im on the pavement

Oi!

• View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: April 24, 2021, 01:52:38 PM »

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/23/990230017/caitlyn-jenner-announces-run-for-california-governor

Trying to wrap my head around Jenner being a Republican.  Most trans persons have a better grasp of which party cares about them.

Apparently her surgeries involved not just turning her into a woman, but also into a dumb one. 

Im on the pavement

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: April 24, 2021, 02:35:13 PM »

As for getting your scientific estimates from EXXON, lol!
Sure.
An energy company would not want to know the facts.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: April 24, 2021, 03:34:45 PM »

Some are saying that New Zealand should be renamed
"New Xi-Land".
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 2929