Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 765057 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #6030 on: April 25, 2021, 10:08:34 PM »

That's your tack lately,  I've noticed.   When you don't feel able to address a question or discursive point, you adopt the air of an irritable and condescending professor.
Nope.
The right of self defense has stood internationally for 11 centuries and is imbedded in USLaw in all 50  states and reinforced by SCOTUS.
All you want to do is change the subject.

I wanted to know why it had to be enshrined in 1600's British common law for us to accept it as valid.   
What is “ invalid “ about such a simple concept as  a person has a right to defend himself and his property? The answer is nothing.  That’s why all States adopted Constitutions or Statutes to adopt common law as common sense. 
Why was Scalia referencing that common law somehow needed in validating present law and decisions?   Not really a complicated question or a change of subject.   
  ok. Call it obfuscation since the preceding sentences made no sense.
Why do we need to look to British common law at all in deciding how to protect ourselves from crazies with assault rifles?   YMMV.
Huh?
You may want to go to bed, you are losing it. But I guess Your Mileage May Vary..LOL!

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: April 25, 2021, 10:18:28 PM »

The right of self defense has stood internationally for 11 centuries and is imbedded in USLaw in all 50  states and reinforced by SCOTUS.

As it LOGICALLY needs to be

Keep your bill hook sharpened and rust free.

If you want to keep guns at home, expect a missile down your chimney. If you bring guns to town, expect one up your ass.

And peace be upon you.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: April 25, 2021, 10:52:32 PM »

That's your tack lately,  I've noticed.   When you don't feel able to address a question or discursive point, you adopt the air of an irritable and condescending professor.

That would be me, according to him...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 10:55:33 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: April 26, 2021, 01:12:54 AM »

Nice.

In the end, there can only be one...

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: April 26, 2021, 03:03:45 AM »

Nice.

In the end, there can only be one...

I was so disappointed with what "the one" got at the end.

Now? Now I see it was priceless.

But as a plot device/excuse, I still am disappointed.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: April 26, 2021, 03:13:24 AM »

I acknowledge SCOTUS as the arbiter of laws in the land.

I do not acknowledge them as a moral authority. Nor do I necessarily agree with their rulings, even though I have granted they have the power to do such things.

Sometimes the power is abused, as with the recent decision to leave the life sentence intact.

Here, then, is another in the long history of SCOTUS' making unjust decisions.

From yesterday:
Jerry Mitchell
1tm8 Spheshnonsoreardmus  ·
On this day in 1898, just two years after ruling “separate but equal” was constitutional, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled there was no racial discrimination in Mississippi’s 1890 Constitution, which required all voters to pay poll taxes and pass literacy tests. This ruling came despite the framers of the new state Constitution publicly proclaiming how these changes would disenfranchise Black voters, ensuring and preserving white supremacy. When White Republican lawmaker Marsh Cook of Jasper County spoke out and urged Black voters to organize against this plan, he was assassinated. “The heartless killing,” one newspaper wrote, “did more to create a sentiment favorable to a federal election law than the thousands of political murders in which Afro-Americans were the victims, that have taken place in the South since Reconstruction times.” Many Southern states followed Mississippi’s lead, adopting similar constitutions.

That the assassination of Marsh Cook pushed voters to support federal election law reform is both appreciated and yet revolting.

Again.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: April 26, 2021, 03:58:48 AM »

http://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/25/dems-tax-cuts-biden-484476

Good policy is a beautiful thing.

Remember republicans are running to take away your tax cuts to give it all to the rich. Never vote for those filthy bastards.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: April 26, 2021, 09:02:06 AM »

Virginia GOP won’t let Orthodox Jews vote absentee in Sabbath-day convention

Let's drive away one more constituency...

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: April 26, 2021, 10:37:03 AM »

Gubernatorial Candidate Caitlyn Jenner Gets Schooled On How California Operates
She referred in a tweet to “Gov. Gavin Newsom’s district attorneys.” DAs are elected in California, not appointed by the governor.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: April 26, 2021, 10:56:54 AM »

heh

Imagine - a novice.

Never works out....
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6042 on: April 26, 2021, 11:21:13 AM »

heh

Imagine - a novice.

Never works out....

Especially on a national level, right?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: April 26, 2021, 11:27:06 AM »

31% strong approve
51% total approve

Low has been 29 and 48
High has been 36 and 53

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/biden_administration/biden_approval_index_history
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 2929