Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 763850 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #6510 on: May 04, 2021, 12:37:44 PM »

Fobes reported last week that Basecamp, a Chicago based software company sent a corporate blog post stating  there will be “no more societal and political discussions” on the company Basecamp account.

CEO and Founder Jason Fried:
Today's social and political waters are especially choppy. Sensitivities are at 11, and every discussion remotely related to politics, advocacy or society at large quickly spins away from pleasant.” He added about the impact it has on the company, stating, “It's a major distraction. It saps our energy, and redirects our dialog toward dark places. It's not healthy, it hasn't served us well. And we're done with it on our company Basecamp account where the work happens.

We don't have to solve deep social problems, chime in publicly whenever the world requests our opinion on the major issues of the day or get behind one movement or another with time or treasure. These are all important topics, but they're not our topics at work—they're not what we collectively do.

Fried told workers the company would give severance packages to employees who weren't on board with the new policy changes. He offered everyone at Basecamp an option of a severance package worth up to six months salary for those who’ve been with the company over three years, and three months salary for those at the company less than that.

“ No hard feelings, no questions asked.”
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 12:39:40 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: May 04, 2021, 01:07:11 PM »

"I think I speak for many people in that Trump has never actually been wrong, and so we've learned to trust when he says something, that he's not just going to spew something out there that's wrong and not verified."
Debra Eli, GOP organizer in Michigan
in discussing their efforts to get rid of the head of the state GOP, because that person says the election was not stolen.

This is how deep the denial of reality goes with regard to Trump.

"never actually been wrong"

Wow.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: May 04, 2021, 01:12:43 PM »

It seems about 1/3 of Basecamp's employees took the severance package.

Speaking of employee turnover, there seems to be a likely opening in Rep House Leadership.

McCarthy can't get Liz to STFU and stay on point with the GOP's BIG LIES talking points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj2iGAifSNI

Take Don Trump and shove him-I ain't lying any more

Take this job and shove it
I ain't working here no more
My GOP done lost their mind and took all the reason
I was working for

You better not try to stand in my way
As I'm a-walkin' out the door
Take this job and shove it
I ain't working here no more
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:14:21 PM by bankshot1 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: May 04, 2021, 01:13:11 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/04/politics/lawmaker-anger-cia-energy-attacks/index.html

Bi-partisan senatorial agreement about something.

Not something good.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: May 04, 2021, 02:56:11 PM »

Spike Lee has never made a movie worth watching.

Now that is bigotry!

No. THAT'S an opinion.

That is it an opinion is not in dispute.

Bigotry: "obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, opinion, or faction."

You are obstinate in your attachment to almost all of your opinions, as you demonstrate regularly.

It is a bigoted opinion

Nothing new here.

No. He's just a fucking one note bore. Like Scorsese.

And you.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: May 04, 2021, 03:00:07 PM »

Ham, I've asked you folks what you want to be forbidden and gotten little (though not no) feedback. The strongest expressions of what should be banned have been you.

Bull shit

No, it's likely true.

Leftists can't handle their shit-view of reality b
eing challenged, so they like to kill off any opposition.

But not before labeling someone a narrow-minded bigot, and lesser mortal, who is not unlike themselves.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 03:03:21 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #6516 on: May 04, 2021, 03:16:47 PM »

Whatever you say,  "Buckwheat. "

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: May 04, 2021, 03:21:55 PM »

Lean, loaf, and invite yourself, Uno. It’s your dime.

Meanwhile, back in the world

http://www.salon.com/2021/05/04/paul-ryan-cant-save-the-gop--he-is-still-a-huge-part-of-the-problem/

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: May 04, 2021, 04:01:06 PM »

Spike Lee has never made a movie worth watching.

Now that is bigotry!

No. THAT'S an opinion.

That is it an opinion is not in dispute.

Bigotry: "obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, opinion, or faction."

You are obstinate in your attachment to almost all of your opinions, as you demonstrate regularly.

It is a bigoted opinion

Nothing new here.

No. He's just a fucking one note bore. Like Scorsese.

And you.
Of course Utley does not like Lee. Like most people afraid to confront their racism he prefers stories about race that focus on big hearted white people learning gentle life lessons about race to anything that actually treats race and the black American experience from the black perspective. He prefers crappy sap about how white people react to racism to stories actually about racism. Makes him feel better about himself. He is not one. There is a reason why Driving Miss Daisy and Green Book have Oscars.

Then again, from his last comment he appears to couple that with an ignorance of the entirety of Lee's work. Or Scorsese's. My guess being he saw DTRT and turned it off after half an hour and has not seen a Lee movie since.
A parrot bit me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: May 04, 2021, 04:24:23 PM »

My 2 scents, I became a Spike Lee (and Mars Blackmon) fan after I saw "She Gotta Have it" but had real mixed feelings about "Do the Right Thing" that took some time to reconcile themselves. At the time (late 80s) I thought it a good film but with a incendiary message. And some of it came to pass in an angry NYC in that time. The movie pissed me off. And I was not alone in that feeling. But with the passage of time and events and re-watching the film, I came to a better understanding and appreciation or more open minded of both his media and the mixed messages. The movie holds up. I think its very good.

I lived in Brooklyn at the time, and the scene in DTRT that cracked me up was the white Brooklyn guy in the Bird-Celtics jersey, who smudges Giancarlo's Jordans. That guy was real and they were my neighbors. The Italian kids in my Carroll Gardens neighborhood wore Celtic jackets. 

In any case, IMO he several good but not great flicks. (Malcolm X, Crooklyn, He Got Game)

I think the last Spike Lee's joint I enjoyed was BlackKKlansman.

And I really like Scorcese films, great soundtracks.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 04:26:45 PM by bankshot1 »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: May 04, 2021, 04:27:57 PM »

Bagging Miss Daisy for instance.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: May 04, 2021, 04:56:04 PM »

Lamar County (Texas) Democrat Party chair Gary O’Connor announced his resignation today. He also apologized to South Carolina Senator Tim Scott who he referred to as an “Oreo” after Scott delivered a rebuttal to President Biden’s nationally televised speech.
The ensuing social network outrage ironically gave Senator Scott sympathetic and huge media coverage unheard of for a rebuttal speech.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: May 04, 2021, 05:10:17 PM »

Speaking of desert snacks, I wonder if O'Connor also called the senior senator from South Carolina "Twinky"?

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: May 04, 2021, 05:18:45 PM »

Overpass in Mexico City collapses.
Who built it?
Why did it collapse?

In my world a carpark deck collapsed.
Horror.
No one was injured.
Why did it collapse?
Union guy was blaming inferior imported steel....where "the steel inside the packet didn't match the rating listed on the packet."
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 2929