Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 757967 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #9060 on: June 10, 2021, 12:42:50 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/09/politics/food-stamps-biden-trump/index.html

Another vicious Trump proposal is pushed aside, to the benefit of America.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #9061 on: June 10, 2021, 12:49:24 PM »

I think democrats need to grab the high ground on civil liberties,  and get on the same page on free speech.   This VA school board thing should be an opportunity to support free speech,  even when it's speech that liberals disagree with.   

And it's not like it's only RW Christians who have contrarian views on LGBTNB rights.   There are several religious sects from RWE to Hindu who may disagree with the current prevailing idea.  You can't have liberals, if they have any integrity,  nodding tolerantly when a Muslim or Hindu questions gender reassignment or self-definition but moving to expel RWEs if they voice the same doubts.   Again,  the best counter to free speech you disapprove...is more free speech.   You can blast that teacher in VA with facts pertinent to gender definition, but you can't fire him.   School board meetings are inherently contentious.

I wouldn’t let that bastard anywhere near my kid. If I tell you my child’s name is Linda don’t dare decide you’re gonna call my kid Lyndon.

Period.

The amo7nt of damage this asshole can do to children who are struggling with their identity is incalculable.

In the public school you leave your religious dogma at the door.

This isn’t free speech it’s religious bigotry and bullying.

If it's actually  directed at students, and he's actually putting his religious views into his course content.   My point was that having opinions at a school board meeting is not the same as teaching them in class.   The former may get powerful disagreement.  The latter would merit firing.   But firing for words spoken at a school board just creates a martyr and then plenty of other teachers who harbor similar feelings will be that less likely to move towards some achievable middle ground.   

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9062 on: June 10, 2021, 01:54:26 PM »

I think democrats need to grab the high ground on civil liberties,  and get on the same page on free speech.   This VA school board thing should be an opportunity to support free speech,  even when it's speech that liberals disagree with.   

And it's not like it's only RW Christians who have contrarian views on LGBTNB rights.   There are several religious sects from RWE to Hindu who may disagree with the current prevailing idea.  You can't have liberals, if they have any integrity,  nodding tolerantly when a Muslim or Hindu questions gender reassignment or self-definition but moving to expel RWEs if they voice the same doubts.   Again,  the best counter to free speech you disapprove...is more free speech.   You can blast that teacher in VA with facts pertinent to gender definition, but you can't fire him.   School board meetings are inherently contentious.

School board meetings are inherently contentious. I’d argue that responding to speech with more speech in school setting w younger students especially has its limits. If a teacher was telling his classes that using cocaine would make them supermen and that selling cocaine would make them rich supermen, I can’t think of a single school that would limit its response to more and better speech.

While the VA teacher isn’t advocating his students all follow Kid Charlemagne with a nose for the setting sun, I agree with Larry that his actions call for a hard sanction. Why ever he feels it justified, this teacher is bullying his students. We wouldn’t let this teacher go around calling a CIS boy in his class Sue if he identifies as Steve even if the teacher declared that he was doing so under direct orders from God on High. The teacher would soon find himself competing with Uno for one of those burger flipping jobs. That’s the category of the VA teacher’s comments. They should not be tolerated by his school or district.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9063 on: June 10, 2021, 02:01:14 PM »

I wouldn’t let that bastard anywhere near my kid. If I tell you my child’s name is Linda don’t dare decide you’re gonna call my kid Lyndon.

Period.

The amo7nt of damage this asshole can do to children who are struggling with their identity is incalculable.

If it's actually  directed at students, and he's actually putting his religious views into his course content.   My point was that having opinions at a school board meeting is not the same as teaching them in class.   The former may get powerful disagreement.  The latter would merit firing.   But firing for words spoken at a school board just creates a martyr and then plenty of other teachers who harbor similar feelings will be that less likely to move towards some achievable middle ground.

It’s not about the course work it is about how intends to address the children.

He said he won’t call them by their chosen names agreed to by their parents.

That’s like “I don’t care what the kid’s name is, I’m gonna call him  Bullwinkle whether you like it or not,”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9064 on: June 10, 2021, 02:20:23 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/10/politics/jewish-house-democrats-ilhan-omar/index.html

I think Rep. Omar is wrong and owes an apology.

I doubt it will be forthcoming.

I think Rep. Omar is less wrong than I would like her to be.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #9066 on: June 10, 2021, 02:38:48 PM »

Are Catholic schools still telling their little kiddies that kids at the non-Catholic schools are going to hell because they're not Catholics?

That's the born agains.

Not hell - but unable to enter heaven, even if a good Catholic - unless you are "saved"

Such rubbish.
One of the things about bambu's post that was so laughable. It is like he has no clue what his church's position on  Catholicosm was for several hundred years but has a view of Catholic doctrine firmly mired in 1640s anti Catholic propaganda.

We used to live next to a nice family...man American ...huge and fancy Old Glory flag on his garage inside rear wall.
Wife born in bambuland ...Italian descent.
Little daughter, Mrs bambu her "best friend".
One day, Mrs bambu picked her up from the Catholic school....little girl about 7 or 8. While driving past the state, non-Catholic school the little girl said "those children will be going to hell (or won't be going to heaven)."
Mrs bambu asked her why...little girl replied "because they're not Catholic".
Mrs bambu asked her who told her that...little girl said: "Sister ..........".
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9068 on: June 10, 2021, 02:58:49 PM »

If anybody needs to be banned here, to make for a better forum I think was the terminology, it's Kid.  Not only would our IQ average rise exponentially, but we'd be rid of his ugly race-baiting. 
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9069 on: June 10, 2021, 03:06:53 PM »

Re Omar I'll give the Repubs about 6 hours and we should have full-blown talking points about Dems and their harboring rabid anti-semites.

Re Omar2: Fuck her and her false equivalents that she knows are divisive and a hot button and are going to set people off.

Although it probably draws some nice campaign cash from overseas.

This shouldn't impact '22.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 03:10:13 PM by bankshot1 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9070 on: June 10, 2021, 03:32:17 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/09/economy/infrastructure-economy-business/index.html

Infrastructure's crumbling hurts the economy.

Duh.

Yet, the GOP is unwilling to do anything to fix it while Biden is president and was unwilling to do anything to fix it while Trump was president.

What's with that?!

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9071 on: June 10, 2021, 03:37:37 PM »

Period.

It’s not about the course work it is about how intends to address the children.

He said he won’t call them by their chosen names agreed to by their parents.

That’s like “I don’t care what the kid’s name is, I’m gonna call him  Bullwinkle whether you like it or not,”
Yeah, but there is a difference between speaking out against a policy and refusing to follow it. When he refuses to follow SB policy he becomes subject to discipline.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9073 on: June 10, 2021, 04:21:07 PM »

School board meetings are inherently contentious. I’d argue that responding to speech with more speech in school setting w younger students especially has its limits. If a teacher was telling his classes that using cocaine would make them supermen and that selling cocaine would make them rich supermen, I can’t think of a single school that would limit its response to more and better speech.

While the VA teacher isn’t advocating his students all follow Kid Charlemagne with a nose for the setting sun, I agree with Larry that his actions call for a hard sanction. Why ever he feels it justified, this teacher is bullying his students. We wouldn’t let this teacher go around calling a CIS boy in his class Sue if he identifies as Steve even if the teacher declared that he was doing so under direct orders from God on High. The teacher would soon find himself competing with Uno for one of those burger flipping jobs. That’s the category of the VA teacher’s comments. They should not be tolerated by his school or district.

Exactly!

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9074 on: June 10, 2021, 04:21:32 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/10/politics/jewish-house-democrats-ilhan-omar/index.html

I think Rep. Omar is wrong and owes an apology.

I doubt it will be forthcoming.

I think Rep. Omar is less wrong than I would like her to be.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 2928