Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 757934 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #9075 on: June 10, 2021, 04:24:38 PM »

I think democrats need to grab the high ground on civil liberties,  and get on the same page on free speech.   This VA school board thing should be an opportunity to support free speech,  even when it's speech that liberals disagree with.   

And it's not like it's only RW Christians who have contrarian views on LGBTNB rights.   There are several religious sects from RWE to Hindu who may disagree with the current prevailing idea.  You can't have liberals, if they have any integrity,  nodding tolerantly when a Muslim or Hindu questions gender reassignment or self-definition but moving to expel RWEs if they voice the same doubts.   Again,  the best counter to free speech you disapprove...is more free speech.   You can blast that teacher in VA with facts pertinent to gender definition, but you can't fire him.   School board meetings are inherently contentious.

I wouldn’t let that bastard anywhere near my kid. If I tell you my child’s name is Linda don’t dare decide you’re gonna call my kid Lyndon.

Period.

The amo7nt of damage this asshole can do to children who are struggling with their identity is incalculable.

In the public school you leave your religious dogma at the door.

This isn’t free speech it’s religious bigotry and bullying.

If it's actually  directed at students, and he's actually putting his religious views into his course content.   My point was that having opinions at a school board meeting is not the same as teaching them in class.   The former may get powerful disagreement.  The latter would merit firing.   But firing for words spoken at a school board just creates a martyr and then plenty of other teachers who harbor similar feelings will be that less likely to move towards some achievable middle ground.

It’s not about the course work it is about how intends to address the children.

He said he won’t call them by their chosen names agreed to by their parents.

That’s like “I don’t care what the kid’s name is, I’m gonna call him  Bullwinkle whether you like it or not,”
Yeah, but there is a difference between speaking out against a policy and refusing to follow it. When he refuses to follow SB policy he becomes subject to discipline.

Ok

Let’s give him a crack at demeaning some students...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9076 on: June 10, 2021, 04:42:46 PM »

I think democrats need to grab the high ground on civil liberties,  and get on the same page on free speech.   This VA school board thing should be an opportunity to support free speech,  even when it's speech that liberals disagree with.   

And it's not like it's only RW Christians who have contrarian views on LGBTNB rights.   There are several religious sects from RWE to Hindu who may disagree with the current prevailing idea.  You can't have liberals, if they have any integrity,  nodding tolerantly when a Muslim or Hindu questions gender reassignment or self-definition but moving to expel RWEs if they voice the same doubts.   Again,  the best counter to free speech you disapprove...is more free speech.   You can blast that teacher in VA with facts pertinent to gender definition, but you can't fire him.   School board meetings are inherently contentious.

I wouldn’t let that bastard anywhere near my kid. If I tell you my child’s name is Linda don’t dare decide you’re gonna call my kid Lyndon.

Period.

The amo7nt of damage this asshole can do to children who are struggling with their identity is incalculable.

In the public school you leave your religious dogma at the door.

This isn’t free speech it’s religious bigotry and bullying.

If it's actually  directed at students, and he's actually putting his religious views into his course content.   My point was that having opinions at a school board meeting is not the same as teaching them in class.   The former may get powerful disagreement.  The latter would merit firing.   But firing for words spoken at a school board just creates a martyr and then plenty of other teachers who harbor similar feelings will be that less likely to move towards some achievable middle ground.

It’s not about the course work it is about how intends to address the children.

He said he won’t call them by their chosen names agreed to by their parents.

That’s like “I don’t care what the kid’s name is, I’m gonna call him  Bullwinkle whether you like it or not,”
Yeah, but there is a difference between speaking out against a policy and refusing to follow it. When he refuses to follow SB policy he becomes subject to discipline.

Ok

Yeah, I know.  But you cannot punish people for something they haven't done yet.

Of course, public employees do not have the same right of free speech when talking about their agency.
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #9077 on: June 10, 2021, 04:57:53 PM »

Yeah, I know.  But you cannot punish people for something they haven't done yet.

The point overlooked by just about everyone. The teacher was expressing an opinion on a PROPOSED new school policy.
Obviously the school board appears to treat the PROPOSAL a fait accompli

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9078 on: June 10, 2021, 04:58:20 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9079 on: June 10, 2021, 05:00:21 PM »

The point overlooked by just about everyone. The teacher was expressing an opinion on a PROPOSED new school policy.
[/quote]

The point being the employee told his employers “Fuck what you say ima do what I want!”

As the old reality show host used to say, “Yuh fired!”

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9080 on: June 10, 2021, 05:44:59 PM »

https://www.theepochtimes.com/name-of-officer-who-shot-ashli-babbitt-on-jan-6-should-be-released-rep-devin-nunes_3852998.html

Yep

Donald John trump and his sadistic parade of simpering sycophants starting with Don jr., Bill Barr, Mike Flynn, Tucker Carlson, and on down.

No need to thank me, Kiid or Devin.

What is up with Devin Nunes anyway?

I don’t know of anyone else who pisses off their mom or their cow so badly.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9081 on: June 10, 2021, 05:48:36 PM »

The point being the employee told his employers “Fuck what you say ima do what I want!”
[/quote]Yes, and when he does it, it stops being protected speech and starts being an active violation of policy.
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #9082 on: June 10, 2021, 05:49:58 PM »

Re Omar I'll give the Repubs about 6 hours and we should have full-blown talking points about Dems and their harboring rabid anti-semites.

Re Omar2: Fuck her and her false equivalents that she knows are divisive and a hot button and are going to set people off.

Although it probably draws some nice campaign cash from overseas.

This shouldn't impact '22.

Only one group on her list ever nuked a whole city. It’s the same one that invented concentration camps.

The tweet wasn’t specific about time and location, so there may be room for clarification and/or hedging there.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #9083 on: June 10, 2021, 05:53:40 PM »

Of course, public employees do not have the same right of free speech when talking about their agency.

Ive got to go with Lime on this one, Larry. He makes a good point.

Having warned the guy now, I think they can be summary as fuck with him now if he steps toward that line while he’s under employment as a teacher.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Holly Martins

« Reply #9085 on: June 10, 2021, 05:58:42 PM »

This all seems to turn on whether the teacher expressed an opinion of a proposed policy or went farther and expressed a firm intent to deny any student their chosen name.   Since I didn't read a detailed report,  with a transcript,  I can't tell which.   My initial point, long ago,  was that one can err on the side of free speech and then,  if a teacher violates school policy and parental wishes,  make a firing decision at that time.
And giving less ammo to the Right to turn things into a culture war. 

Naming all children Pat or Leslie would save a lot of future headaches.   (j/k) 

Holly Martins

« Reply #9086 on: June 10, 2021, 06:00:35 PM »

Cue "Bruces" sketch...

Holly Martins

« Reply #9087 on: June 10, 2021, 06:05:33 PM »

Omar further clarified her remarks in a statement later on Thursday.

"On Monday, I asked Secretary of State Antony Blinken about an ongoing International Criminal Court investigations. To be clear: the conversation was about accountability for specific incidents regarding those ICC cases, not a moral comparison between Hamas and the Taliban and the U.S. and Israel," Omar said. "I was in no way equating terrorist organizations with democratic countries with well-established judicial systems."   

Fucking A,  is context just permanently beyond the grasp of the marching morons?   

facilitatorn

• View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #9089 on: June 10, 2021, 06:25:30 PM »

Omar further clarified her remarks in a statement later on Thursday.

"On Monday, I asked Secretary of State Antony Blinken about an ongoing International Criminal Court investigations. To be clear: the conversation was about accountability for specific incidents regarding those ICC cases, not a moral comparison between Hamas and the Taliban and the U.S. and Israel," Omar said. "I was in no way equating terrorist organizations with democratic countries with well-established judicial systems."   

Fucking A,  is context just permanently beyond the grasp of the marching morons?

In their old age, Banks’ children will look back on Omar as their favorite President since AOC and wish there had been a way to give her a third term in office because of how well she represents America’s political center.
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 2928