Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 757618 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #9256 on: June 13, 2021, 12:37:07 AM »

http://www.vox.com/22529989/2020-murders-guns

No surprise Putin put his money and his honey in the NRA.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9257 on: June 13, 2021, 12:38:28 AM »

267 mass shootings in 2021.

163 days.

The arguments for gun freedom are broken, especially in a society busy trying to make it harder to vote than it is to get a gun, when both are rights.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9258 on: June 13, 2021, 11:25:11 AM »

Leave it to Bill Maher to shine a light into the dark corner of leftist bull shit.

HBO's Real Time host, Bill Maher, monologued on progressives' view that progress has not been made in the United States on cultural issues, such as race relations and gay marriage. Maher called those on the left who believed that the United States lacked any progress had "progressophobia," meaning "a brain disorder that strikes liberals and makes them incapable of recognizing progress."

Maher continued, mentioning the views on gay marriage and racism have changed over the years in the United States. "This is one of the big problems with wokeness," Maher said, "that what you say doesn't have to make sense or jive with the facts or even be challenged lest the challenge be conflated with racism.'

"But saying that White power and privilege is at an all-time high is just ridiculous. Higher than a century ago, the year of the Tulsa Race Massacre? Higher than the years when the KKK rode unchecked and Jim Crow went unchallenged? Higher than the 1960s when The Supremes and Willie Mays still couldn't stay at the same hotel as the White people they were working with? Higher than during slavery?"

Maher concluded his monologue by saying "t's not a sin, and it's certainly not inaccurate, to say we've come a long way, baby. Not mission accomplished, just a long way."

Good for him.

He’s walked an unbroken path as have most white folks in the country.

Bill is a libertarian and libertarian are nothing but Republicans who want to smoke weed.

Libertarians are all about wanting small limited government until they’re up to their asses in floodwaters. Then government can’t get big enough, fast enough.

So? You didn't counter his argument. You just attacked him as being someone who shouldn't be able to make that argument.

Counter the argument. I'll use all caps so you can concentrate on the question at hand, which is NOT ABOUT BILL MAHER.

IS WHITE POWER AND PRIVILEGE AT AN ALL-TIME HIGH?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Holly Martins

Holly Martins

« Reply #9260 on: June 13, 2021, 12:39:34 PM »

Hey it's Strawman Ham.    I haven't met any progressives who think no progress has been made on civil rights.   

They're just not complacent because some progress has been made.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9261 on: June 13, 2021, 01:04:30 PM »

Leave it to Bill Maher to shine a light into the dark corner of leftist bull shit.

HBO's Real Time host, Bill Maher, monologued on progressives' view that progress has not been made in the United States on cultural issues, such as race relations and gay marriage. Maher called those on the left who believed that the United States lacked any progress had "progressophobia," meaning "a brain disorder that strikes liberals and makes them incapable of recognizing progress."

Maher continued, mentioning the views on gay marriage and racism have changed over the years in the United States. "This is one of the big problems with wokeness," Maher said, "that what you say doesn't have to make sense or jive with the facts or even be challenged lest the challenge be conflated with racism.'

"But saying that White power and privilege is at an all-time high is just ridiculous. Higher than a century ago, the year of the Tulsa Race Massacre? Higher than the years when the KKK rode unchecked and Jim Crow went unchallenged? Higher than the 1960s when The Supremes and Willie Mays still couldn't stay at the same hotel as the White people they were working with? Higher than during slavery?"

Maher concluded his monologue by saying "t's not a sin, and it's certainly not inaccurate, to say we've come a long way, baby. Not mission accomplished, just a long way."

Good for him.

Bill is a libertarian and libertarian are nothing but Republicans who want to smoke weed.

Libertarians are all about wanting small limited government until they’re up to their asses in floodwaters. Then government can’t get big enough, fast enough.

So? You didn't counter his argument. You just attacked him as being someone who shouldn't be able to make that argument.

Counter the argument. I'll use all caps so you can concentrate on the question at hand, which is NOT ABOUT BILL MAHER.

You know what?

Fuck Bill Maher and you can take that too if it suits you.

I’ve nothing to say to you especially when you step to me with such disrespect.

Fuck off.

We’re done.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #9262 on: June 13, 2021, 01:12:47 PM »

Good for him.

You know what?

Fuck Bill Maher and you can take that too if it suits you.

I’ve nothing to say to you especially when you step to me with such disrespect.

Fuck off.

We’re done.

Got it; you can't answer a straightforward question or critique a someone's expressed opinion without attacking the person, and then when given a second chance to critique that opinion you launch another personal attack.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #9263 on: June 13, 2021, 01:14:08 PM »

Hey it's Strawman Ham.    I haven't met any progressives who think no progress has been made on civil rights.   

I think that Maher made a pretty good point, and no here on the left seems to know how to counter it other than to attack Maher or to dismiss the comment as being irrelevant to the broader discussion on the extremist views of the left.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9264 on: June 13, 2021, 01:49:18 PM »

I think that Maher made a pretty good point, and no here on the left seems to know how to counter it other than to attack Maher or to dismiss the comment as being irrelevant to the broader discussion on the extremist views of the left.

I can’t speak for anyone else but to engage with you is like watching a primate in a zoo digging crap out it’s ass and flinging it at spectators.

Hard pass.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9265 on: June 13, 2021, 02:31:23 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2021/06/13/middleeast/israel-knesset-vote-prime-minister-intl/index.html

Netanyahu is out. Does he now land in prison or can he dance well enough to avoid it?

And will Israel pass a law banning criminals from being PM?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #9266 on: June 13, 2021, 02:39:23 PM »

Well it's hard to discuss with someone who's perpetually arguing with something you never said or believed.   

Progressive is not extremist.   It means being inspired by past things like this....

...and wanting to see more progress like that in the here and now.   

Every black person in Montgomery spent a year burning shoe leather,  growing bunions,  collapsing their arches,  so that this country could live up to its ideals a little more and afford its citizens some measure of dignity.    Now I drive out of my former city on a stretch of freeway called Rosa Parks Way and I don't think bunch of illiberal extremists.   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #9267 on: June 13, 2021, 02:46:22 PM »

I can’t speak for anyone else but to engage with you is like watching a primate in a zoo digging crap out it’s ass and flinging it at spectators.

Hard pass.

Waving the white flag so quickly? Good idea, since you failed to counter anything presented by Maher or answer the very direct question on the scope of white power and privilege.

You really should run and hide. It fits.

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #9268 on: June 13, 2021, 02:55:49 PM »

Holly answered you directly,  noting that  Maher and you attack a strawman.

I haven't met any progressives who think no progress has been made on civil rights.   

You,  Hamuel, have yet to make your own case as to why the Left shouldn't continue to press for progress on civil rights and human dignity.   Thinking everything's cool,  that there's no need to keep working on these issues,  is the luxury of people who haven't had their rights or dignity trod upon.   

Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9269 on: June 13, 2021, 02:58:48 PM »

Through his snark, condescension and reliance on strawmen, l’m having a real hard time seeing what Maher’s point is, other than furthering his desire to build on his “liberal, but contrary” self-identity. Why don’t you tell us what Maher’s point is.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 2928