Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 757311 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #9570 on: June 16, 2021, 08:56:42 AM »

Some similarities between the CRT troll and the Omar troll.

By the time Republicans and centrist Democrats had united late last week to scold Representative Ilhan Omar for a tweet—one of the few pastimes that still draw the two parties together, and something those selfsame chiders would doubtlessly decry, under different circumstances, as cancel culture or censorship—it no longer mattered what, exactly, Omar had said. They had already managed to make a news cycle out of it: mission accomplished.

Now, following Democratic outrage and Republican calls for a floor vote to strip Omar of her committee assignments, let me record the following for posterity: Omar demonstrably did not say what she’s been accused of having said; what she did say was true; and every politico using this opportunity to take a swing at her likely knows those two things—they just think you don’t...   

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/06/what-ilhan-omar-actually-said/619196/

I doubt any bashers here will read all of this article and concede any of its factual points,  but YNK.

Good piece - thanks
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #9571 on: June 16, 2021, 09:58:03 AM »

First round of Biden-Putin talks ends early.

Joe had to tinkle.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9572 on: June 16, 2021, 10:07:00 AM »

By the time Republicans and centrist Democrats had united late last week to scold Representative Ilhan Omar for a tweet—one of the few pastimes that still draw the two parties together, and something those selfsame chiders would doubtlessly decry, under different circumstances, as cancel culture or censorship—it no longer mattered what, exactly, Omar had said. They had already managed to make a news cycle out of it: mission accomplished.

Now, following Democratic outrage and Republican calls for a floor vote to strip Omar of her committee assignments, let me record the following for posterity: Omar demonstrably did not say what she’s been accused of having said; what she did say was true; and every politico using this opportunity to take a swing at her likely knows those two things—they just think you don’t...   

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/06/what-ilhan-omar-actually-said/619196/

I doubt any bashers here will read all of this article and concede any of its factual points,  but YNK.

OC

You would be wrong. I read the article.

and without parsing every argument made, it seems the author's point hinged on Omar telling the truth.

I think Omar told a truth, but not the truth.

Have atrocities  been committed in war, yes. Can we judge relativity or context?

We should.

Did Omar?

In my opinion she did not. If she did, she would have been more circumspect in her argument and approach.

Should I equate the atrocities committed by the Germans and Japanese in WW2 with those committed by the US?

Were the victims of US atrocities any less victimized?

that seems to be Omar's argument.

I will leave it to others far more pure than I to make that call.

Further, as already posted, Omar used a very limited platform in Twitter.

A nuanced and complicated matter as this is, would have been far better addressed in a speech or a multi-page press release. Not a 200 character post. And she knew better, and her press people knew better.

But she knowingly grabbed some publicity off the blood of victims by issuing a headline grabbing tweet that appealed to certain of her supporters. She now says that the obvious false equivalence of her tweet was not meant in the manner it was received.

Bullshit.

So I read the article, and agree she told a truth.

But not the truth.

Fuck her.

ymmv
So your problem is, in this era of social media, she tweeted? Really?

When she used a Tweet to equate Israel and Hamas and then had to clarify and walk back, what she said on Twitter, when the shit hit the fan, it seems she understood she may have used a poor platform to deliver a very complicated message.

I'm surprised you don't understand that.

Pity.
Politicians use social media on a myriad of issues, none of which are suitable for a 200 word burst if you want to pick at them. I think after a reasonable clarification - which you acknowledge as a truth - it becomes manufactured outrage. But then, I do not use Twitter because as far.as I can tell Twitter is only useful for two things: sharing pictures of your junk, and apologizing for sharing pictures of your junk.

Twitter can be useful for promotion of events.

I do realize that you could argue that falls under your first category, though I would disagree.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9573 on: June 16, 2021, 10:08:23 AM »

Joe had to tinkle.

Pees in our times.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9574 on: June 16, 2021, 10:20:26 AM »

Joe had to tinkle.

For perspective on this time vs. last time, a look at the Trump-Putin summit:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/15/politics/fiona-hill-trump-biden-putin-cnntv/index.html

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9575 on: June 16, 2021, 10:24:42 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/15/us/texas-ercot-heat-energy/index.html

Sure, we have a heat wave, but turn your AC off.

As a prior poster noted, the power grid in TX only struggles when it's hot out or cold out.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: June 16, 2021, 10:26:40 AM »

But in "good" news, wildfire smoke over Phoenix kept their temperature under 115... so far.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/15/weather/arizona-smoke-record-temperatures-wildfire/index.html

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #9577 on: June 16, 2021, 10:37:15 AM »

Good piece - thanks

And?   You agree?   With some points,  not others?  Care to expand?   

And Banks,  not really understanding why you single out Omar for using Twitter, like,  erm,  every other politician in America.   

Nor do I understand why it's wrong to point out that international criminal courts should impartially look at all war atrocities,  regardless of how nice we think a country is.   Indeed,  I would think those countries purported to be standard bearers of democracy and human rights should be subject to the most careful scrutiny.   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #9578 on: June 16, 2021, 10:42:04 AM »

But in "good" news, wildfire smoke over Phoenix kept their temperature under 115... so far.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/15/weather/arizona-smoke-record-temperatures-wildfire/index.html

When Lime dismissed 99 as "sweater weather, " I laughed.  But then I wondered if converting the 99 to Celsius,  and then using that number for the Fahrenheit  temp would make more sense.  So 99 becomes 37.  That works.   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #9579 on: June 16, 2021, 11:04:27 AM »

After all, Putin's core foreign policy goal is the fracturing of US political stability and prestige. He is accused of meddling in two elections to help ex-President Donald Trump – the top homegrown threat to US democracy.

L O fuckin L

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/biden-putin-meeting-geneva-updates-intl/index.html

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #9580 on: June 16, 2021, 11:05:10 AM »

No.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9581 on: June 16, 2021, 11:29:32 AM »

Good piece - thanks

And Banks,  not really understanding why you single out Omar for using Twitter, like,  erm,  every other politician in America.   

Nor do I understand why it's wrong to point out that international criminal courts should impartially look at all war atrocities,  regardless of how nice we think a country is.   Indeed,  I would think those countries purported to be standard bearers of democracy and human rights should be subject to the most careful scrutiny.

OC I've commented on positions from politicians right and left and center that I disagree with. And have for years.

And this is a political forum.

And Omar is fair game.

In this instance I responded and commented and expanded upon a post Josh made about Omar about a week ago, where he said he thought she was wrong and should apologize. And I banged her on the tweet.

And there is nothing wrong about making comments about international criminal courts....

I never said there was.

But what she did was de-link that issue, where she questioned Blinken, and which maybe 1 out of 100,000 people may have been familiar with that specifically, and then tweeted her tweet which many people, not just me (or Josh) saw an a false equivalence.

And then under pressure she clarified and backed down on what was, when read on a stand alone basis, clearly a false equivalence.

But that's how she set it up.

She stepped in her pile of crap and had to scrape the shit right off her shoe.

If there is one thing we should have learned over the past 5 years is Twitter is a powerful medium for spreading anything, news and fake news, truth and lies, information and propaganda, for good and ill. IMO, Omar wanted to spread this headline for political gain to her followers and supporters. She after all is a politican. But if she wanted to discuss the issue in depth, and in context, she could have done so very easily through a press release rather than a 2-line tweet that she knew, or should have known was explosive. But IMO she did not give a shit and she got her headline.

I hope that clears it up for you.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9582 on: June 16, 2021, 11:30:09 AM »

Joe had to tinkle.

After Trump met with Putin in Helsinki did he swallow or spit?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #9583 on: June 16, 2021, 11:41:28 AM »

Jon Stewart’s Monday rant about the Wuhan Coronavirus was laughed off as satire by Elba regulars.
But the Washington Post? It was insulted.
Seems columnist Paul Waldman took it personally that Stewart would express an opinion contrary to the Post’s
Progressive bullshit. This despite the fact Waldman says he agnostic on the theory Covid-19 escaped from the Wuhan Lab. And keep in mind the Post just recently called that theory “ DEBUNKED! “
Well, except the Post now has retracted that.
No wonder Jeff Bezos was to get off earth and take a long ride in space.

LOL!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:48:18 AM by REDSTATEWARD »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9584 on: June 16, 2021, 11:42:45 AM »

After all, Putin's core foreign policy goal is the fracturing of US political stability and prestige. He is accused of meddling in two elections to help ex-President Donald Trump – the top homegrown threat to US democracy.

L O fuckin L

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/biden-putin-meeting-geneva-updates-intl/index.html

You don’t believe Putin and Russia interfered in our elections?

In that case can i interest you in a little dacha on the Black Sea?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 2928