Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 755925 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #10350 on: June 23, 2021, 06:26:48 AM »

"without raising taxes" they said in their statement.

Repub motherfuckers want a free infrastructure lunch while they continue to fuck over the mothers and fathers and children of the middle and working class.

IMO the US has to get out of the taxing business and into risk management and asset management business.

The rich fuckers understand paying for hedge fund services, (2 and 20 is the standard fee structure) so charge them for all the risks and assets the US manages for them.

2% annual management fee on assets 20% on the gain (performance)

You do business here, then you pay a management fee, but we won't tax you.

The better you do, the better we do.

Why are moderates negotiating with the party that’s trying to thwart democracy on the strength of a lie?

Fuck Manchin and Sinrma and the nearly half dozen asshole Rockefeller Republicans masquerading as Democrats they’re sling for!

How are you gonna take the efforts of those who fought through all kinds of barricades to put you in the majority and piss that power negotiating against yourself?

There is no compromise to which the GOP will agree!

Its the dance we do Larry called democracy.

we talk with other people who disagree with us and hope to find a middle ground.

But we could always shoot them or they could shoot us.

I'd prefer to talk first and see where get.

And there may be no common ground and Americans will decide who was the honest broker and who was full of shit.

And that's part of democracy too.

Bullshit!

You’re either FOR democracy or you’re NOT.

It took you hours to come up with that?

Which part of negotiating differences with a political opponent to find an agreed upon common ground is anti-democratic Larry?

Which part of letting people decide via an airing of the difference and voting, is not democratic?

You and Fac are advocating anti-democratic solutions to a critical part of democracy, resolving competing beliefs.

But give me a big ACHTUNG it will probably make you feel better.

Keep marching, banks!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: June 23, 2021, 06:29:00 AM »

”I think democracy is too important to change the rules every time we may be disappointed by an outcome.  It has worked more or less through hardships in the past. It will again.”

This is why black people get fucked over time and again.

So, it's NOT about democracy. It's about "black people", who are only part of the demos.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: June 23, 2021, 06:34:26 AM »

I keep waiting for someone to tell me,
"Yeah, I was a fruit picker until those illegals showed up."

Would they hire me to pick fruit if I applied?

One way to find out.

You wouldn’t last a week or make a single quota.

A week? At this age? He wouldn’t last a shift.

And you'd last about 2 minutes before you were back where you were 2 weeks ago. 

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: June 23, 2021, 06:36:02 AM »

Cumulative tax rate over time in the United States:
https://imgur.com/xhYCQh4

Voodoo economics.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: June 23, 2021, 06:42:16 AM »

I don’t care what you call them that’s what they are and they are based on a lie.

Talking point.

I love my cousin dearly but she is all over FaceBook with this opinion and it snowballs out of control with those that are not the least bit reasonable.

You mean those who promulgate the lies?

I know what you mean.

I don't think you know what he means. I think, and Kid can clarify, that the laws are not called voter suppression laws, and that is his cousin's and others' opinion.

Maybe you and the rest of the CoW can take him at his word.

Labels aren't always factual, particularly in the political world. Take for example the "Patriot Act". It was hardly an act of patriotism. Or "Obamacare".

To you they are voter suppression laws. To kid they are voter registration laws.

To me, gerrymandering is the far greater enemy of democracy. That, and the apathy found mostly on the left side of the aisle, these days.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: June 23, 2021, 06:42:56 AM »

Kid’s no liar!

You like it on the sidelines, don't you, Yank?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: June 23, 2021, 08:26:59 AM »

Not all of us can be as tough as you are. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 09:06:55 AM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: June 23, 2021, 08:59:08 AM »

I don’t care what you call them that’s what they are and they are based on a lie.

Talking point.

I love my cousin dearly but she is all over FaceBook with this opinion and it snowballs out of control with those that are not the least bit reasonable.

The election was not stolen.

There wa no voter fraud.

If you say the election was stolen through voter fraud you’re either lying or stupid.
Those are not mutually exclusive.
A parrot bit me.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: June 23, 2021, 09:00:52 AM »

Meanwhile...over at the women's Olympic weightlifting:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/22/trans-weightlifter-laurel-hubbard-backed-by-australian-rival-and-new-zealand-pm

Trans weightlifter Laurel Hubbard backed by Australian rival and New Zealand PM

Nevertheless, her selection on Monday polarised international opinion over whether trans athletes hold an unfair advantage over other women.

#####

Ya might say!

The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

Holly Martins

« Reply #10359 on: June 23, 2021, 09:04:56 AM »

Amusing to read your post,  Yank,  following TEN blocked posts from the kraken.  Kind of sums up the kraken experience neatly.   

Bambu,  however,  our gentle manatee ever-seeking a safe pasture of river grass in a dangerous world,  I always read. 

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: June 23, 2021, 09:24:25 AM »

Talking point.

You mean those who promulgate the lies?

I know what you mean.

I don't think you know what he means. I think, and Kid can clarify, that the laws are not called voter suppression laws, and that is his cousin's and others' opinion.

Maybe you and the rest of the CoW can take him at his word.
YOU want people to take kiid at his word? YOU? It's almost like the baseball forum does not exist.

Labels aren't always factual, particularly in the political world. Take for example the "Patriot Act". It was hardly an act of patriotism. Or "Obamacare".
But labels do matter, especially when they are descriptive. They color how people think about things, and you unwittingly put your finger on a huge.example. There is a reason the right tried so hard to make people think of the Affordable.Care.Act as Obamacare and not the Affordable Care Act. It is the same here. Calling what is happening anything except voter suppression gives what is happening a sheen of legitimacy and reason it does not deserve. It is a power grab by one party to reshape the process of voting in its favor by limiting the vote. To call it anything other than voter suppression is dangerous.
To you they are voter suppression laws. To kid they are voter registration laws.
"To you the sky is blue. To kiid it is hot pink."

There is nothing I know of in the laws being passed that deal with voter registration. I mean, there is probably provisions somewhere making it harder to let poor people register to vote, but these laws specifically target the act of.voting and access to the ballot. And were enacted despite the absence of any evidence that there was any wide spread systemic problem to solve. And despite the fact that nothing in them would prevent the type of occasional fraud that did happen.

To me, gerrymandering is the far greater enemy of democracy. That, and the apathy found mostly on the left side of the aisle, these days.
While gerrymandering is an issue, try thinking about voter apathy in a way that envisions voters in a non-white middle class way. It is real easy for us to vote. It always will be.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aWwHjQZcZ_0
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 09:26:47 AM by Hairy Lime »
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10361 on: June 23, 2021, 09:27:04 AM »

No power to those people who are determined to become even eviler bastards.

So...like Al Sharpton, for example.

This perspective is only 30 years out of date
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: June 23, 2021, 09:36:25 AM »

I still think Sharpton missed a few necessary steps to restoring himself as a self-identified moral leader, but we can agree to disagree.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10363 on: June 23, 2021, 09:52:28 AM »

I still think Sharpton missed a few necessary steps to restoring himself as a self-identified moral leader, but we can agree to disagree.

Yes, we will.

I covered him in 80s and I saw a marked change around the turn of the century when he partnered with Ed Koch in a restorative justice program.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: June 23, 2021, 09:59:17 AM »

Here we are back at the "one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist" debate.

Arguing that these are "voter registration bills" is disingenuous in the extreme, which is not to say that they aren't making that argument.

So, too, arguing that the bills allowing a state legislature to overturn an election because they feel like it is about representative government.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 2926