Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 2927

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 756483 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #10575 on: June 25, 2021, 09:30:28 AM »

Chauivin (sentencing scheduled for tomorrow) will likely get more years in prison than this traitor: A female linguist who worked for the Pentagon in Iraq was sentenced to 23 years behind bars for giving classified information to a Hezbollah-tied foreign national.

Mariam Taha Thompson was charged in May 2020 in federal court with “transmitting highly sensitive classified national defense information to a foreign national," who she believed would provide the information to Lebanese-based Hezbollah, a foreign terrorist organization tied to Iran.

Court records show Thompson signed an extensive statement of facts in late January admitting to the covert plot, and she pleaded guilty in March. Thompson faced a maximum sentence of up to life imprisonment.

https://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-linguist-passed-secrets-hezbollah-231600832.html

I would hope so considering he was convicted of murder...

Second degree murder of a convicted felon vs treason to the USA?

Sorry, to me the traitor's offenses are much worse. Who knows how many lives were jeopardized or lost based on her actions?

She cut a deal and pled out.

He was convicted.
Yes, but he killed a black guy with a record. That hardly counts as much as killing, you know, a person for Racist.
A parrot bit me.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10576 on: June 25, 2021, 10:12:32 AM »

Are you telling me that if you, Tony, made $1.5 million, that you could not "build wealth" if the next million you made were taxed at 91%?

Are you saying that because a person worked hard to earn that money that it's yours or the government's to take?

What is that? A success tax?

And do you think that is "fair"?

Shockingly enough, I am not arguing in favor of a 91% top marginal income tax rate, Ham, only that it didn't preclude the ability to build wealth.

What would you set as the top marginal rate and at what starting point?

Have to think about that one. But I think the bigger issue might be what counts as taxable income.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Holly Martins

« Reply #10577 on: June 25, 2021, 10:13:39 AM »

From Rudy's famed Ferret Rant,  June 23, 1999....

There is something really, really, very sad about you. You need help. You need somebody to help you. I know you feel insulted by that, but I'm being honest with you. This excessive concern with little weasels is a sickness.

I’m sorry. That’s my opinion. You don’t have to accept it. There are probably very few people who would be as honest with you about that. But you should go consult a psychologist or a psychiatrist, and have him help you with this excessive concern, how you are devoting your life to weasels.

There are people in this city and in this world that need a lot of help. Something has gone wrong with you. Your compulsion about it, your excessive concern with it, is a sign of something wrong in your personality. I do not mean to be insulting. I’m trying to be honest with you and I’m trying to give you advice for your own good. I know you, I know how you operate, I know how many times you called here this week. Three or 4 o’clock in the morning, David, you called here.

You have a sickness. I know it’s hard for you to accept that, because you hang on to this sickness, and it’s your shield, it’s your whatever. You know, you gotta go to someone who understands this a lot better than I do. And I know you’re real angry at me, you’re gonna attack me, but actually you’re angry at yourself and you’re afraid of what I’m raising with you. And if you don’t deal with it, I don’t know what you’re gonna do. But you called here excessively all week, and you called here at 3 o’clock in the morning. And 4 o’clock in the morning. Over weasels. Over a ferret.   

https://youtu.be/5l7d_3rkaX4

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10578 on: June 25, 2021, 10:14:08 AM »

Chauivin (sentencing scheduled for tomorrow) will likely get more years in prison than this traitor: A female linguist who worked for the Pentagon in Iraq was sentenced to 23 years behind bars for giving classified information to a Hezbollah-tied foreign national.

Mariam Taha Thompson was charged in May 2020 in federal court with “transmitting highly sensitive classified national defense information to a foreign national," who she believed would provide the information to Lebanese-based Hezbollah, a foreign terrorist organization tied to Iran.

Court records show Thompson signed an extensive statement of facts in late January admitting to the covert plot, and she pleaded guilty in March. Thompson faced a maximum sentence of up to life imprisonment.

https://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-linguist-passed-secrets-hezbollah-231600832.html

I would hope so considering he was convicted of murder...

Second degree murder of a convicted felon vs treason to the USA?

Sorry, to me the traitor's offenses are much worse. Who knows how many lives were jeopardized or lost based on her actions?

She cut a deal and pled out.

He was convicted.

Yes. Fair trial and all that. But the degree of offense is greater, IMO.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10579 on: June 25, 2021, 10:15:10 AM »

Cool stuff from Politico Playbook

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/06/25/graham-biden-made-gop-look-like-fing-idiots-493371

PLAYBOOK INTERVIEW: GRAHAM IS OUT — We caught up with Sen. LINDSEY GRAHAM (R-S.C.) on Thursday night as he was boarding a plane to California. Graham, you may remember, is one of the 11 Republicans who signed onto the original bipartisan infrastructure framework, which seemed to prove that there were enough Republicans to overcome a filibuster.

Notably, there were only five of those Republicans at the White House on Thursday. This deal is dead without at least five more.

After hearing what Biden said about linking the small bipartisan bill to the big reconciliation bill, Graham told us … he’s out.

“If he’s gonna tie them together, he can forget it!” Graham said. “I’m not doing that. That’s extortion! I’m not going to do that. The Dems are being told you can’t get your bipartisan work product passed unless you sign on to what the left wants, and I’m not playing that game.”

Graham said the five Republicans negotiating the deal never told him about the linkage strategy and he does not believe that they were aware of it. “Most Republicans could not have known that,” he said. “There's no way. You look like a fucking idiot now.” He added, “I don’t mind bipartisanship, but I’m not going to do a suicide mission.”

Graham often changes his mind, so Republicans close to the negotiations may take his comments with a grain of salt. But at the same time, Republicans who want this deal to happen believe Biden created a massive problem that could put the entire deal in jeopardy.

“The president’s comments did real damage here,” said a senior GOP aide. “It is astonishing that he could endorse this bipartisan framework in one breath and then announce he will hold it hostage in the next.”

MCCONNELL CONCURS: Minority Leader MITCH MCCONNELL made the same point on the Senate floor, accusing Democratic leaders of “pulling the rug out from under their bipartisan negotiators” with the new interconnected strategy.

DON’T MISS: Burgess Everett and Marianne LeVine have a good tick-tock on how the group of 20 centrist Democrats and Republicans defied expectations and no shortage of cynicism to strike a deal. The secret to their success? Positive vibes and a lot of wine. Natasha Korecki and Laura Barrón-López, meanwhile, look at what a coup this is for Biden, assuming the deal holds up: “The longtime creature of the Senate who has boasted endlessly about his mastery of the art of compromise now [has] proof that this seemingly antiquated form of governance could work.”

DEPT OF NOT GIVING A … Sinema was fundraising last week in Manhattan, where we heard she received a tongue-lashing by a major Democratic donor. The warning was specifically about playing ball with Democratic leadership on the infrastructure bill and her broader go-it-alone brand. “They gave her a lot of pushback, they said she’s in the majority, make it work, don’t undermine it,” a source familiar with the sit-down said. Sinema clearly didn’t pay heed. Days later, she doubled down on preserving the filibuster in a WaPo op-ed. Wonder if she was wearing her “F--- Off” ring when she wrote it.

Her Op-Ed was a fine exhibit of “I don’t have a clue about where I stand but by God this is where I will stand!”

Seems so. Must be very secure in her electability.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10580 on: June 25, 2021, 10:33:57 AM »

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/06/25/graham-biden-made-gop-look-like-fing-idiots-493371

PLAYBOOK INTERVIEW: GRAHAM IS OUT — We caught up with Sen. LINDSEY GRAHAM (R-S.C.) on Thursday night as he was boarding a plane to California. Graham, you may remember, is one of the 11 Republicans who signed onto the original bipartisan infrastructure framework, which seemed to prove that there were enough Republicans to overcome a filibuster.

Notably, there were only five of those Republicans at the White House on Thursday. This deal is dead without at least five more.

After hearing what Biden said about linking the small bipartisan bill to the big reconciliation bill, Graham told us … he’s out.

“If he’s gonna tie them together, he can forget it!” Graham said. “I’m not doing that. That’s extortion! I’m not going to do that. The Dems are being told you can’t get your bipartisan work product passed unless you sign on to what the left wants, and I’m not playing that game.”

Graham said the five Republicans negotiating the deal never told him about the linkage strategy and he does not believe that they were aware of it. “Most Republicans could not have known that,” he said. “There's no way. You look like a fucking idiot now.” He added, “I don’t mind bipartisanship, but I’m not going to do a suicide mission.”

Graham often changes his mind, so Republicans close to the negotiations may take his comments with a grain of salt. But at the same time, Republicans who want this deal to happen believe Biden created a massive problem that could put the entire deal in jeopardy.

“The president’s comments did real damage here,” said a senior GOP aide. “It is astonishing that he could endorse this bipartisan framework in one breath and then announce he will hold it hostage in the next.”

MCCONNELL CONCURS: Minority Leader MITCH MCCONNELL made the same point on the Senate floor, accusing Democratic leaders of “pulling the rug out from under their bipartisan negotiators” with the new interconnected strategy.

DON’T MISS: Burgess Everett and Marianne LeVine have a good tick-tock on how the group of 20 centrist Democrats and Republicans defied expectations and no shortage of cynicism to strike a deal. The secret to their success? Positive vibes and a lot of wine. Natasha Korecki and Laura Barrón-López, meanwhile, look at what a coup this is for Biden, assuming the deal holds up: “The longtime creature of the Senate who has boasted endlessly about his mastery of the art of compromise now [has] proof that this seemingly antiquated form of governance could work.”

DEPT OF NOT GIVING A … Sinema was fundraising last week in Manhattan, where we heard she received a tongue-lashing by a major Democratic donor. The warning was specifically about playing ball with Democratic leadership on the infrastructure bill and her broader go-it-alone brand. “They gave her a lot of pushback, they said she’s in the majority, make it work, don’t undermine it,” a source familiar with the sit-down said. Sinema clearly didn’t pay heed. Days later, she doubled down on preserving the filibuster in a WaPo op-ed. Wonder if she was wearing her “F--- Off” ring when she wrote it.

Her Op-Ed was a fine exhibit of “I don’t have a clue about where I stand but by God this is where I will stand!”
I suppose it plays well here, overall. I am profoundly disappointed that her rebellious streak is limited to fashion.
A parrot bit me.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10581 on: June 25, 2021, 10:50:12 AM »

Chauvin sentencing today.

Could get as little as 12.5 years but up to 29, it seems.  Likely to be more toward the latter

Chauvin will have the opportunity to speak prior to the judgement.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/25/us/derek-chauvin-sentencing-george-floyd/index.html
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10582 on: June 25, 2021, 11:03:00 AM »

Are you telling me that if you, Tony, made $1.5 million, that you could not "build wealth" if the next million you made were taxed at 91%?

Are you saying that because a person worked hard to earn that money that it's yours or the government's to take?

What is that? A success tax?

And do you think that is "fair"?

Shockingly enough, I am not arguing in favor of a 91% top marginal income tax rate, Ham, only that it didn't preclude the ability to build wealth.

What would you set as the top marginal rate and at what starting point?

Have to think about that one. But I think the bigger issue might be what counts as taxable income.

Don't think it's bigger - if the rate is way too high or way too low (whatever those are), then no matter what you define as taxable, it won't work well. There will still be degrees of good and bad.

I do think it's important as part of the conversation.

If you don't mind, I'm going to move the overarching question, including your addition, down to UDC.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10583 on: June 25, 2021, 11:04:34 AM »

Seems so. Must be very secure in her electability.

Or not worried about keeping her seat, regardless of electability.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10584 on: June 25, 2021, 11:07:00 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/24/us/former-nra-president-tricked-speech-gun-violence/index.html

Having the former president of the NRA delivering a speech to empty seats that represented the members of the class of '21 who died by gun violence prior to graduation was great theater.

I'll be interested to see the whole video.

But I wish I believed that it would change anybody's mind.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10585 on: June 25, 2021, 11:15:09 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/25/politics/fulton-county-ballots-lawsuit/index.html

Still losing in court:
A Georgia judge has dismissed most of a lawsuit seeking an inspection of Fulton County's absentee ballots from the 2020 presidential election.

It's a potential setback to the Republican-led effort to undermine the legitimacy of the results in the state's largest county, even though the case will proceed for the time being.

The plaintiffs, who believe counterfeit ballots were counted in the 2020 election, have pushed to use microscopes to examine nearly 150,000 absentee ballots. They are seeking to examine the paper stock, creases and method in which the bubbles were filled to determine if any ballots are counterfeit.

Even if the audit proceeds, it will not lead to Georgia's election results -- which have already been certified for President Joe Biden -- being overturned.

Henry County Superior Court Chief Judge Brian Amero on Thursday dismissed the case against Fulton County, the Fulton County Board of Registration and Elections, and the Fulton County Clerk judge. He said the plaintiffs "have failed to meet their burden to show an applicable waiver of sovereign immunity such that their constitutional claims may proceed against these governmental actors in the petition's current form."

The plaintiffs were allowed to add five folks to the list of defendants, but as the five are not accused of any wrongdoing, it seems likely that the case against them, too, will be dismissed.

From Fulton County:
"This lawsuit is the result of meritless claims and the Big Lie. The votes have been counted three times, including a hand recount, and no evidence of widespread fraud has been found," Pitts said. "Last year, I told President Trump and others who push the Big Lie to "put up or shut up." It's been six months and no proof of wrongdoing has been produced. Enough is enough -- this whole circus must end," Pitts added.

I am gratified that only 1 person is "unsure" who won the election, though I am sorry it is even that high.

I suspect that we at EfromE have at least one more Trump voter than the number of participants on the poll would indicate. Probably he would have had to vote in a way he did not wish to to remain honest and chose (for a change) to say nothing.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #10586 on: June 25, 2021, 11:20:11 AM »

Nice oxymoron.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #10587 on: June 25, 2021, 11:29:33 AM »

DoJ back in the Justice biz

As expected DoJ challenging voter suppression laws

Going after Georgia

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/georgia-voting-law-justice-department-lawsuit/2021/06/25/8bc3cd08-d5bd-11eb-a53a-3b5450fdca7a_story.html

The Justice Department will file a federal lawsuit Friday against the state of Georgia for its efforts to enact new voting restrictions that federal authorities allege discriminate against Black Americans, according to people familiar with the matter.

New hires at DoJ are going to be busy for the next year, or four, fighting R-party shaky platform to restrict voter rights
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 11:33:29 AM by bankshot1 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10588 on: June 25, 2021, 11:32:02 AM »

Chauvin sentencing today.

Could get as little as 12.5 years but up to 29, it seems.  Likely to be more toward the latter

Chauvin will have the opportunity to speak prior to the judgement.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/25/us/derek-chauvin-sentencing-george-floyd/index.html

He is not a sympathetic figure.

He would be wise to keep his mouth shut.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10589 on: June 25, 2021, 11:33:11 AM »

Nice oxymoron.

No, Ward, you just don't understand.

I am suggesting the possibility that she would prefer to say what she thinks without regard for its impact on her ability to stay in the Senate.

Were it true, she would be worthy of praise for that, even if I disagree with the statement itself.

No oxymoron. Just a very unlikely but possible piece of reasoning.
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 2927