Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1046 1047 [1048] 1049 1050 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 755889 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #15705 on: September 07, 2021, 03:43:40 PM »

All shown in the movie TAKEN.

Boy, those documentaries really pack a punch!

Bambi has loved documentaries ever since he first saw "Falling Down"

Sexual slavery of young women has become a growing criminal enterprise in the EU.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #15706 on: September 07, 2021, 03:44:26 PM »

On the issue of jobs, our companies need to hire the locals in our neighborhoods. And hiring the locals also means fewer people driving in cars on the roads.

The movie studios need to hire the people who live in the neighborhoods around the studios to work there. People can train at the local schools, and then they can live in a neighborhood by a studio and they can walk to work.

Paramount Studios has a great little neighborhood around the studio, but they are treating the neighborhood wrong. Right now Paramount has a high fence around the studio and they keep the neighbors out. But, what they need to do is to invest in the area by giving film school scholarships to the local youth, and they can also hire people from the local neighborhood.

And the same with the Occidental Studio in East Hollywood, they need to hire the people who live in the neighborhood to work at the studio.

The studios need to hire people who live in the neighborhoods around the studios.

Also, Anaheim needs a studio.

We have great schools, we have great neighborhoods, and the studios need to hire the locals. People need to be able to walk to work at the studios.

I would love to live by a movie studio and to just be able to walk to work there, and I am sure that other people would love to do that too.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 03:50:43 PM by FlyingVProd »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15707 on: September 07, 2021, 03:44:57 PM »

After that last post from Josh I am going to leave that last laundry list of Bankshot insecurities well alone.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15708 on: September 07, 2021, 03:47:59 PM »

Banks asked some very important questions about "statute of limitations" for one's behavior in years and decades past.

Unlike many crimes, errors of the sort he is talking about don't have anything anybody can point to even close to definitively and say, "Yeah, that's old enough. Let's give them a pass on that."

This is why Bernie Sanders was defending himself about the fantasy piece he wrote about women wanting to be raped. And why HRC had to answer questions, again], about her activities as a young Republican.

But we also don't have a statute of limitations for how long a past laudable act gets to be cited as proof of worthiness.

In the case of the recently deposed Executive Producer of Jeopardy, it turned out that he should never have been considered for his position as EP, let alone as the host of the show - but Sony had been covering up for him for years, so it was largely hidden from the public.

But even without the more recent sexual harassment accusations and things of that sort, his so-called jokes were not in the realm of funny and his apologies for them were not in the realm of effective. They came across to most folks as "Hey, I'm sorry that I (was caught having) said those things."

What has one done since one wore blackface in the 90s?! Is there sign of either reformed perspectives or maintained ones?! When confronted with it, is there belligerence or is there contrition? Is there an effort to explain it away or an embracing of change?

Does society "get it right" most of the time?! I doubt it, but I am not sure. OTOH, we do see some course corrections, like the reporter fired for using the world "niggardly," who was subsequently reinstated. It should not have been necessary, but at least it happened.

The folks who use terms like woke or social justice warrior the same way others of us use fascist or nazi are missing the point by a wide margin. So, too, those who try to turn the word "nazi" around to apply it to anti-nazis.

I don't expect to change anybody's opinions or behaviors by this, with the possible exception of my own, but I figured to share the thoughts, regardless.

Thanks, Banks. I appreciate the post and the prompt.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #15709 on: September 07, 2021, 03:58:28 PM »

UN gives Australia a 10-year deadline to shut down the entire coal mining industry - Daily Mail

#####

No can do...bambu-ilk need coal to keep the lights on, heaters on, air-conditioning on, phones and tablets charged, computer on, hot water on, and income from export to run the country.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #15710 on: September 07, 2021, 04:02:06 PM »

I think that people learn and grow and improve. I  do not think that because someone made a mistake many years ago that they are necessarily a bad person now. Especially with the case of children being raised in poor bad neighborhoods without fathers to teach them, and without mothers being there to watch them as they grow and to teach them. Children without fathers in bad neighborhoods are going to make mistakes that they feel horrible for later in life when they are older and wiser and when they know and understand.

One group is foster children, I think they should be forgiven for mistakes as they grow and learn and as they improve.

It is different when people are just evil and when people make mistakes on purpose, they need to be punished. But, for uneducated foster children who made mistakes, I think they need to be forgiven.

People who were poor, and uneducated, who work and rise from poverty to wealth, need to be forgiven for making mistakes from times when they were foolish and stupid. There is a difference between being a fool, and being evil.

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15711 on: September 07, 2021, 04:37:52 PM »

Banks asked some very important questions about "statute of limitations" for one's behavior in years and decades past.

Unlike many crimes, errors of the sort he is talking about don't have anything anybody can point to even close to definitively and say, "Yeah, that's old enough. Let's give them a pass on that."

This is why Bernie Sanders was defending himself about the fantasy piece he wrote about women wanting to be raped. And why HRC had to answer questions, again], about her activities as a young Republican.

But we also don't have a statute of limitations for how long a past laudable act gets to be cited as proof of worthiness.

In the case of the recently deposed Executive Producer of Jeopardy, it turned out that he should never have been considered for his position as EP, let alone as the host of the show - but Sony had been covering up for him for years, so it was largely hidden from the public.

But even without the more recent sexual harassment accusations and things of that sort, his so-called jokes were not in the realm of funny and his apologies for them were not in the realm of effective. They came across to most folks as "Hey, I'm sorry that I (was caught having) said those things."

What has one done since one wore blackface in the 90s?! Is there sign of either reformed perspectives or maintained ones?! When confronted with it, is there belligerence or is there contrition? Is there an effort to explain it away or an embracing of change?

Does society "get it right" most of the time?! I doubt it, but I am not sure. OTOH, we do see some course corrections, like the reporter fired for using the world "niggardly," who was subsequently reinstated. It should not have been necessary, but at least it happened.

The folks who use terms like woke or social justice warrior the same way others of us use fascist or nazi are missing the point by a wide margin. So, too, those who try to turn the word "nazi" around to apply it to anti-nazis.

I don't expect to change anybody's opinions or behaviors by this, with the possible exception of my own, but I figured to share the thoughts, regardless.

Thanks, Banks. I appreciate the post and the prompt.

There are grey and not so grey areas in this issue

I do not think anything is gained by banning the use of certain words. Malice or lack thereof is dependent on context in my view

As the body of people with the reach to get their voices heard expands and diversifies our understanding of how some funny things we found harmless are contributing to a mountain of painful impositions on the objects of this humor

Living in a dynamic society means your ideas and actions will be challenged over time

Examining whether what you do is justified or is better changed or even better atoned for is part of keeping up with and staying in a healthy dynamic society

Everything important about race sex and class was well known and widely discussed before DNS made the way back machine what it is today

If you put it in an email or posted it in a blog or on a message board or your MySpace page you could have known better. It raises the question of whether or not you know better now

If you are being hounded for your contributions to Twitter or facespace the issue is more acute as those are younger platforms

As for Nazis that is specific

There are actual groups with circles of membership and requirements

Many who are called Nazis are more accurately Nazi sympathizers who get called Nazis as a sloppy shorthand. The distinction does have a difference

Fascists are a not so grey area. They own the sad husk of the GOP as well as governing parties in lots of nations. The rich use fascism to defend themselves from both democracy and the forces of the market. They use fascism with one hand and religion with the other

You cannot both sides fascism without becoming its victim

Case in point

http://www.thebulwark.com/the-non-education-of-ross-douthat/
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15712 on: September 07, 2021, 04:39:14 PM »

But should I be hung for laughing at a red-neck joke, or a dumb-blonde joke? Or dating a dumb blonde?

Is there a statute of limitations for behavior decades ago?

I think that's the woke line most reasonable people start to balk at.

I think the counterpoint is that woke,  in the main,  is not some humorless lockstep of overreaction.   I think that's why misusing the term is perceived as stereotyping.   Sometimes woke does just mean aware,  and knowledgeable of why some minorities joined the footrace carrying twenty pound weights in each hand.   It simply means understanding that all effects of discrimination don't vanish when,  on the sixth lap,  they're permitted to drop the weights.

But how is that different than "sometimes conservative just means--------" or "sometimes liberal just means------"?

The problemthat many of us have with the woke is the proselytizing nature of the constituency.

The zealotry that is used to critique the use of pronouns or the reading "Lolita" or watching a Woody Allen movie is entirely off-putting, heavy-handed, and demonstrates the exact same intolerance that the wokies preach others represent. Such reactionary behavior brings to mind the Cultural Revolution of China in the 1960's, and that is something that I find leads to book-burning and worse.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15713 on: September 07, 2021, 04:43:46 PM »

Watching Joe Biden rock those aviator shades...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15714 on: September 07, 2021, 04:50:52 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2021/09/07/the-satanists-are-right-texas-abortion-ban-is-a-direct-attack-on-freedom-of-religion/

Godless republicans worship only torture

Disbanding and barring the GOP would end their decades long cycle of child abuse.

shhhh......
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #15715 on: September 07, 2021, 04:55:36 PM »

The guy who wrote this, I do not think anything is gained by banning the use of certain words., also wrote this: Disbanding and barring the GOP would end their decades long cycle of child abuse.

So, he doesn't want to ban certain words, but supports banning an entire political party.

This is not an American, or any kind of thinking American, for sure.

You cannot be for the First Amendment, and then advocate banning an entire political party.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #15716 on: September 07, 2021, 05:02:47 PM »

After that last post from Josh I am going to leave that last laundry list of Bankshot insecurities well alone.

I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin and have been for awhile and can admit to excesses of youth, mistakes, where time and perspective have allowed me to recalibrate and rethink certain matters.

Fac its ok to admit you once were a guy and had balls and maybe turned to the centerfold before the interview.

Or laughed at a politically incorrect joke.

Really its ok.

And if Elba's ultra woke give you a hard time, I've got your back.

And Josh the matter is one of statute of limitations and allowing people to grow and perhaps understand the shoes others walk in.

Judging people from words or thoughts they had decades before is a dangerous practice.

There was a case earlier this year when a late 20s journalist who was going to be some publication's on-line editor lost the job to be, because when she was 17 she texted something that was seen today, 10 years later, as anti-Asian. Teenagers are supposed to cross lines and do dumb stuff. Its their time to over-step and learn and fuck-up, but not to be thrown to the wolves of wokness, each eager to prove their purity to the group. Fuck them. I'd like to see their private diaries.

No I wouldn't. 

The thought and mind control being practiced by both left and right is dangerous and should be challenged.

So I did and will.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 05:08:19 PM by bankshot1 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15717 on: September 07, 2021, 05:03:26 PM »

The guy who wrote this, I do not think anything is gained by banning the use of certain words., also wrote this: Disbanding and barring the GOP would end their decades long cycle of child abuse.

So, he doesn't want to ban certain words, but supports banning an entire political party.

You cannot be for the First Amendment, and then advocate banning an entire political party.

The GOP needs to go the way of Carthage.

Smashed to rubble, burned to ash and sown into the earth with salt.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #15718 on: September 07, 2021, 05:34:25 PM »

The GOP needs to go the way of Carthage.

Smashed to rubble, burned to ash and sown into the earth with salt.

And the way to do that is to defeat them at the polls. But advocating a banning them is un-American. And you know it.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15719 on: September 07, 2021, 05:45:40 PM »

News Note

The Taliban has announced its new Afghanistan Government
Most of its high ranking officials are on the International Terrorism Watch List
Pages: 1 ... 1046 1047 [1048] 1049 1050 ... 2926