Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1351 1352 [1353] 1354 1355 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 750047 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #20280 on: November 10, 2021, 10:48:55 AM »

I think woke is used now to mean priggish,  to diminish and dismiss any critique as self-righteous kneejerkery. 

So really just another ad hommie.  And a false appropriation of a legitimate adjective.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #20281 on: November 10, 2021, 10:49:22 AM »

Banks is trying to corner the market on irony by replicating Ham's old conspiracy theories, but instead of the Boston gang, he's invented the  Elba "woke" folk.

You think this to be an improper term?
Woke has become a meaningless term. In banks terms, woke just means "disagrees with me".

Boz I'm not sure why you want to pig-pile other than it provides security in #s that I guess you need.

But once again you are mistaken I enjoy a lively debate and offering counter arguments. And this is a political forum where there will be a lot of differing opinions.

But as most know, but boz seems to mock, woke has become a political issue over the past few years and seems to be reheating.  I put a brief post about woke in the NFL Forum in response to some discussion there. Boz, I believe you were a part of that discussion.

Here's the post
I think the point about "woke" in general is, that being overly woke (for example a member here thought it necessary to pontificate  Thomas Jefferson's sins as slave owner, but was woefully blind to their own sins) trivializes what's really critical about issues, and those issues get lost in the noise.

No one was perfect 10 years ago, or 50, or 250 years ago. Or today. If you see racism, sexism, or whatever ism isn't p-c, call it out, or do your best, but to focus on an ever changing p-c playbook (shit I forgot to check Brandeis' stay away from handbook) but condemning people for who they were, can't really be addressed, only creates a holier than thou, environment, a lot of resentment, and may be  self-defeating,

We should strive to be better people, but to constantly point fingers at all the transgressors, past and present, and if we are honest, there are lots of them, may prove to be counter-productive to the goals of changing how we interact as a multi-racial/ethnic/relgious/sexual identification and become a more inclusive and accepting society.

Sports hate however is ok.

You're up boz

« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 10:52:00 AM by bankshot1 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20282 on: November 10, 2021, 11:33:30 AM »

Banks is trying to corner the market on irony by replicating Ham's old conspiracy theories, but instead of the Boston gang, he's invented the  Elba "woke" folk.

Woke has become a meaningless term. In banks terms, woke just means "disagrees with me".

It's not meaningless at all.

You provided Ham's and Banks' definition of it.

It has real meaning elsewhere.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20283 on: November 10, 2021, 11:39:46 AM »

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #20284 on: November 10, 2021, 11:44:40 AM »

I think woke is used now to mean priggish,  to diminish and dismiss any critique as self-righteous kneejerkery. 

So really just another ad hommie.  And a false appropriation of a legitimate adjective.

Unfortunately it will stay as the go to move for racists in denial right until it stops working.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #20285 on: November 10, 2021, 11:49:18 AM »

http://www.salon.com/2021/11/10/another-ensnared-rep-darrell-issa-may-be-implicated-in-fortenberry-scandal/

A real Law and Order administration is finally going after some of Americas worst evil scumbags. So many can be found in Congress on the republican side of the isle.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20286 on: November 10, 2021, 12:03:45 PM »

https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/1458121381766369287

PA Candidate for Senate, talking about women.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20287 on: November 10, 2021, 12:06:23 PM »

Boz I'm not sure why you want to pig-pile other than it provides security in #s that I guess you need.

But once again you are mistaken I enjoy a lively debate and offering counter arguments. And this is a political forum where there will be a lot of differing opinions.

But as most know, but boz seems to mock, woke has become a political issue over the past few years and seems to be reheating.  I put a brief post about woke in the NFL Forum in response to some discussion there. Boz, I believe you were a part of that discussion.

Here's the post
I think the point about "woke" in general is, that being overly woke (for example a member here thought it necessary to pontificate  Thomas Jefferson's sins as slave owner, but was woefully blind to their own sins) trivializes what's really critical about issues, and those issues get lost in the noise.

No one was perfect 10 years ago, or 50, or 250 years ago. Or today. If you see racism, sexism, or whatever ism isn't p-c, call it out, or do your best, but to focus on an ever changing p-c playbook (shit I forgot to check Brandeis' stay away from handbook) but condemning people for who they were, can't really be addressed, only creates a holier than thou, environment, a lot of resentment, and may be  self-defeating,

We should strive to be better people, but to constantly point fingers at all the transgressors, past and present, and if we are honest, there are lots of them, may prove to be counter-productive to the goals of changing how we interact as a multi-racial/ethnic/relgious/sexual identification and become a more inclusive and accepting society.

Sports hate however is ok.

You're up boz
Please refer to my prior post.
A parrot bit me.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20288 on: November 10, 2021, 12:14:26 PM »

Welp, I'm a "Faith and Flag Conservative".  Looks like I misled people over the years.   My bad.

Haha!   You seem fairly moderate/liberal, so I would think it reasonable to question their algorithm.

Something's wrong with it.

Mine came out as:

Stressed Sideliners hold a mix of conservative and liberal views and are the least politically engaged typology group. Generally disconnected from politics and the two major parties, they vote at lower rates than most other typology groups. About four-in-ten live in lower-income households, and they are the group most likely to describe their personal financial situation as only fair or poor.
Stressed Sideliners are split evenly between the Republican Party and Democratic Party..

The rest of the description was equally false.

Nothing fit.

The Pews fucked up.

Far right church, wrong Pew?

Where would you sit yourself in the matrix?

I lean left socially, but fiscally conservative. I believe in a strong military, but using it with extreme caution, I prefer diplomacy to military intervention. I think you have a right to abortion, and the death penalty should always be an option. I don't believe sexual predation is curable. I believe in funding education and health care by reducing military spending. If you're gay, trans, cis-gender, etc, I don't give a shit, nor do I need to know that you are. If you work, I respect you, if you just want other people to fund your lifestyle, I'm out. I prefer deeds to words.  I believe everyone should serve the country in some official capacity, for two years at age 18, either through military service, toad construction, working in schools, national parks, or veterans hospitals, or some other public service requisite.

College is not the best thing for everyone, so investment in trade and tech schools, should be drastically increased.

I think handguns should be outlawed, and gun manufacturers should be able to be sued because their products are a health hazard much the way cigarettes were and still are, and should be regulated as such.

I believe that if you don't vote, you should shut it. I believe voting should be made easier, and I advocate an Election Weekend, the first full weekend in November.

I believe all police should have at least an associates degree. I believe no one should be allowed to be on a school board who is a realtor or who does not have a college degree.

Religion belongs outside public schools and should have no role in government of any kind.

I believe investing in mental health, so that it is affordable to all and such an investment would greatly enable our society to become a safer, friendlier, and sustainable one.

I believe in the rights of the individual, but only so far as their exercise does not impede the rights of others.

I believe everyone has a responsibility to the community at large.

I believe in free speech, and tolerating the ugliness that comes with it, and I abhor censorship of any kind.

I believe in complete transparency regarding exactly how campaigns and political speech are funded.

I believe Wall Street is not the economy. I believe banks have too much influence on the economy. I believe the Fed drives too much if the economy.

I believe in taxing foods that are linked to poor health. I believe in price controls for healthy foods. This might help eliminate food deserts.

I believe in investing in sustainable environmental business practices being rewarded with lower taxation, and those businesses which decline to treat the environment as it should be ought to be taxed at very high rates.

I believe nuclear energy is a solution and not the problem.

I believe EVs are overrated.

I believe no sport should have a salary cap.

I believe education should be driven by the learners' interests.

I do not believe in term limits, and I believe that having a term limit for a POTUS is counterproductive to our democracy.

I believe in the principles that the American flag represents, and I fly it every day. Those principles include tolerating the burning of that flag in protest, and not requiring anyone to say the Pledge of Allegiance.

I believe anyone who denies that January 6 was not spontaneous and not an insurrection is complicit and a traitor to the principles represented by that flag.

I believe race in America is never honestly discussed.

I believe everyone is done in by their own biases, and that it takes a conscious effort to confront ones own bias each and every day.

I believe that we are a modern Rome, and like Rome, we will fall.

I believe the Chinese are our greatest danger, and we will lose to them through our commitment to greed.

I believe I don't fit into anyone's matrix, and that attempts to categorize humans as Pew is trying to do is shortsighted, narrow-minded and limited in its scope.

It's that kind of simplification of a complex situation that feeds the seemingly natural laziness and impatience of the average American.

I believe in proofreading, and having not done so, I believe those who found my mistakes, which I have now, I hope, corrected satisfactionly are doing so because they wish to understand, and I believe I shall thank them for that.

I believe in handwriting thank you notes.

I believe others should try detailing their beliefs, here.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 04:34:02 PM by Hamilton Samuels »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #20289 on: November 10, 2021, 12:22:04 PM »

Did you watch Bull Durham last night?

what's your take on the small of a woman's back, the hanging curve ball, high fiber, good scotch?

heh

Hammy is in the 10th cell in a 9-cell matrix.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #20290 on: November 10, 2021, 12:26:44 PM »

But thank you for your thoughtful answer.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #20291 on: November 10, 2021, 12:33:55 PM »

Good post,  Hamster.   You are all over the political left/right spectrum,  like many of us.

I doubt the old spectrum means that much.   Each issue has its own range,  and sometimes facts dont agreeably fit with old political categories. 

I was surprised to discover that "toad construction" is an option for young people.   As long as you dont get warts,  im down with it.
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #20292 on: November 10, 2021, 12:38:47 PM »

Good post,  Hamster.   You are all over the political left/right spectrum,  like many of us.

I doubt the old spectrum means that much.   Each issue has its own range,  and sometimes facts dont agreeably fit with old political categories. 

I was surprised to discover that "toad construction" is an option for young people.   As long as you dont get warts,  im down with it.

Toads are underrepresented in this country. And they face a lot of hurdles,including wartism, such as you just expressed.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #20293 on: November 10, 2021, 12:43:45 PM »

I lean left socially, but fiscally conservative

I've used similar wording on my profiles, (centrist for conservative) but have added, "but given the current political times and demands is wholly impractical"

And I too wondered about toad construction.

But I'm really interested in  "Mental Beth". I'm pretty sure I dated her. How's she doing?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 12:45:25 PM by bankshot1 »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #20294 on: November 10, 2021, 12:45:29 PM »

It's not meaningless at all.

You provided Ham's and Banks' definition of it.

It has real meaning elsewhere.

Woke, to me, means opinions not woke are greeted with pedantic lecturing by self-important nanny goats.

So, yes, Josh you're woke.

The poster child of the woke cultists here.
Pages: 1 ... 1351 1352 [1353] 1354 1355 ... 2924