Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1361 1362 [1363] 1364 1365 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 750163 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #20431 on: November 11, 2021, 03:30:59 PM »

???
Peace organization threatens riots.

Leaders of New York City's Black Lives Matter movement on Wednesday reacting to their new mayor: https://news.yahoo.com/black-lives-matter-activists-threaten-030000354.html

This is no different than January 6 insurrectionists, disrespecting the results of an election.

That is your dumbest take in months, both self serving and dead wrong.

I would ask you to think about what you are saying but I am sure that would be too painful for you to even try.

Don't fault others because you aren't willing or able to see what's clearly in front of you.

They are not questioning his authority as Mayor, you dumbass. They are informing him as their mayor that if he insists on putting hit squads on the street to sow fear similar to their experience of the last iteration of this policy, he would blow his chance to preside over a functioning city. People would be scared and mad and rightly so. Adams will decide what to do with the information. BLM leaders did not set up any kind of gallows or start yelling lets go madams!
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20432 on: November 11, 2021, 03:31:37 PM »

Godwins law can be broadly rephrased as:

People will use hyperbole in any political discussion.

By all means, compare these shitheads to Nazis. Again and again. I'm with you.

Quoting someone, Larry?

Don't be so obtuse.

Link it.

I know evidence is not your thing, but your reputation is on the line.

My mistake my link did not post

https://www.timesofisrael.com/godwins-law-author-endorses-comparing-neo-nazis-to-nazis/

But that's not what YOU did, Larry.

Nice shift away from yourself.

Of people within the President's administration, you said they were using the pandemic as a final solution.

That is not the same as condemning the Klan at Charlottesville.

I was referring to the citing of Godwins law to which he himself said no, fuck that.

C
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20433 on: November 11, 2021, 03:32:27 PM »

The reason I push back against such rhetoric,  sorry Larry,  is that it seems to either polarize or end a real discussion.

If only we were at risk of such discussions in the absence of any references by anybody to the Nazis.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20434 on: November 11, 2021, 03:33:18 PM »

Peace organization threatens riots.

Leaders of New York City's Black Lives Matter movement on Wednesday reacting to their new mayor: https://news.yahoo.com/black-lives-matter-activists-threaten-030000354.html

This is no different than January 6 insurrectionists, disrespecting the results of an election.

I disagree.

It is not the election they are disputing, but the proposed actions of an elected official.

People have been protesting actions by elected officials for about as long as we have had a country.

People have not tried to physically stop the transfer of power very often at all.

They are stating that will be taking up arms against the government because they do not like the actions of the government.

That is not how it is done, and it is EXACTLY why it is the same.

It is exactly how it has been done again and again and they are not proposing to overthrow the government, they are proposing to get a policy changed.

BOTH sides (or all three if one views the police union as independent of the Mayor-Elect in this instance) are behaving in less than useful ways.

BLM should be saying "if it is reinstituted, it has to have far better safeguards than it had prior to its dissolution.

Adams should be saying "I am very cognizant of the abuses of the prior organization, while also aware of the good it did. I want to reinstitute the positive aspects, while seeking to avoid the negatives. Both parts are vital to our citizens' safety."

The Police Union should, if asked, simply respond, "We will follow orders from the department, so long as they are legal."

No, acting against a policy is not overthrowing government or preventing its coming into power.

Yes, the threat is stupid.

But so is tone-policing.

Hank Newsome is an asshole.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20435 on: November 11, 2021, 03:34:56 PM »

People have been protesting actions by elected officials for about as long as we have had a country.

Usually not by burning and destroying property and shedding others' blood.

No, usually it's been allowed by the government, when it has involved burning and destroying property and shedding others' blood.

Far rarer to be in opposition to government policy, and yet even that has existed for about as long as we have had a country.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20437 on: November 11, 2021, 03:36:43 PM »

While I recognize inequitable delivery of healthcare or workplace protection to minorities can increase mortality from many things, including Covid,  I do not think this woeful situation which existed long before Trump is on the same level as rounding up six million people and shoving them into gas chambers.

So I think hyperbole is a fair term for that.   Another term is overheated rhetoric.   Because I do not think Trump admin officials were actually thinking,  gosh,  how can we exterminate brown people.   The reason I push back against such rhetoric,  sorry Larry,  is that it seems to either polarize or end a real discussion.

That is your prerogative

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20438 on: November 11, 2021, 03:37:36 PM »

Usually not by burning and destroying property and shedding others' blood.

You mean like on 1/6?

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20440 on: November 11, 2021, 03:40:12 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/10/us/federal-judge-texas-mask-ban-americans-with-disabilities-act/index.html

I was pleased with this court decision.

Preventing mask mandates, in addition to being the opposite of small government, is a too broad dictum.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20441 on: November 11, 2021, 03:41:09 PM »

Let's talk about the Afghanistan problem.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/11/politics/extended-troika-afghanistan-talks/index.html

What?

Did we invite Afghanistan?

No. Why would we?!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20442 on: November 11, 2021, 03:44:12 PM »

What do you think of this new law in Portugal?!

Could it wok in the US? Should it?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/11/success/portugal-employer-contact-law/index.html

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20443 on: November 11, 2021, 03:46:26 PM »

I made an analogy..

I see parallels today with Weimar Germany.

If you dont, fine.

I tell you this... I can imagine how my forbears felt when they realized Reconstruction was over.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1361 1362 [1363] 1364 1365 ... 2924