Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1535 1536 [1537] 1538 1539 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 764632 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #23040 on: January 10, 2022, 11:22:43 PM »

Gov D a bit down on my list

We'll see
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23041 on: January 10, 2022, 11:27:54 PM »

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23042 on: January 11, 2022, 06:20:59 AM »

Kid is still waiting for an Arnie Vinnick presidency.

Bartlett reaching out to  Vinnick.  A great moment.  And perfect example of what Joe would never do.   

There's no Arnie Vinnick to reach out to.  Biden would if he could.  Bipartisan reaches were Bidens thing when he was a senator, but that seems to get forgotten.

DeSantis is actually sort of Arnie ish

He is a fucking lunatic... and an asshole.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Holly Martins

« Reply #23043 on: January 11, 2022, 10:04:06 AM »

So a pig's heart has been transplanted into a human. Just what we need: more Republicans.

Heh.

The news story I saw reported that the patient, on waking, requested truffles for his first meal.

Holly Martins

« Reply #23044 on: January 11, 2022, 10:08:11 AM »

http://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/gun-sales-murder-spike/621196/

I wonder how Red will misunderstand this.

After murders in the United States soared to more than 21,000 in 2020, researchers began searching for a definitive explanation why. Many factors may have contributed, such as a pandemic-driven loss of social programs and societal and policing changes after George Floyds murder. But one hypothesis is simpler, and perhaps has significant explanatory power: A massive increase in gun sales in early 2020 led to additional murders.

New data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) suggest that that indeed may have been the case. According to the data, newly purchased weapons found their way into crimes much more quickly and often last year than in prior years. That seems to point to a definitive conclusion, that new guns led to more murders, but the data set cannot prove that just yet.

I expect that last sentence portion will be a lifeline for him. 

Oi!

• View Profile
« Reply #23045 on: January 11, 2022, 11:06:28 AM »

https://apnews.com/article/voting-rights-joe-biden-georgia-voting-martin-luther-king-jr-dc4544c23622f35fc95d63afe512554d

Positive step which I hope leads somewhere in the next couple weeks.  State primaries aren't that far off.  And the general is only ten months.  If new state voter suppression laws are to be voided by federal law, that process of challenge and litigation will take a while. 
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23046 on: January 11, 2022, 12:10:14 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/voting-rights-joe-biden-georgia-voting-martin-luther-king-jr-dc4544c23622f35fc95d63afe512554d

Positive step which I hope leads somewhere in the next couple weeks.  State primaries aren't that far off.  And the general is only ten months.  If new state voter suppression laws are to be voided by federal law, that process of challenge and litigation will take a while.

Tell that to Joe Manchin and Kristen Sinema.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Holly Martins

« Reply #23047 on: January 11, 2022, 03:13:53 PM »

WASHINGTON (AP)  The Environmental Protection Agency is taking its first major action to address toxic wastewater from coal-burning power plants, ordering utilities to stop dumping waste into unlined storage ponds and speed up plans to close leaking or otherwise dangerous coal ash sites.

Plants in four states will have to close the coal ash ponds months or years ahead of schedule, the EPA said Tuesday, citing deficiencies with groundwater monitoring, cleanup or other problems.

Coal ash, the substance that remains when coal is burned to generate electricity, contains a toxic mix of mercury, cadmium, arsenic and other heavy metals. It can pollute waterways, poison wildlife and cause respiratory illness among those living near massive ponds where the waste is stored.

The actions mark the first time the EPA has enforced a 2015 rule aimed at reducing groundwater pollution from coal-fired power plants that has contaminated streams, lakes and underground aquifers.

...and this is why we regulate capitalism, and why the importance of enforcement transcends partisan power games. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23049 on: January 11, 2022, 04:58:34 PM »

2 pretty good speeches today.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23050 on: January 11, 2022, 06:58:03 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/11/politics/covid-19-testing-joe-biden-administration/index.html

Simply put and as everybody but the most partisan Democrat knows, the Biden administration followed the Trump failures on testing with more failure on testing.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #23051 on: January 11, 2022, 07:00:54 PM »

I constantly say it.
You can hate Trump but you cannot hate all the people who like him since it is half the country.
And you cannot set yourself up  as some sort of moral paragon because this is  your political belief and somebody else has taken a another one.
I feel that is the Achilles Heel of the left right now.
They identify issues mostly mostly what they can feel superior to another person for.

Bill Maher

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 07:02:50 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #23052 on: January 11, 2022, 07:04:32 PM »

I like to fish and then I like to eat the fish, and I share the fish with my neighbors and we can have parties with fish tacos.

I do not like for the fish to be ruined because of pollution from coal. We need to end the use of coal so that we can eat the fish. Fish is a natural resource which belongs to all of us. We deserve to be able to eat the fish that we catch.

We need to keep our water clean, and we need to be able to eat safe healthy fish. I used to catch fish and then feed over 100 people free fish tacos, with free live music. Here is a video of a band at our free mahi mahi taco swimming pool party...

https://youtu.be/x4K7dnixw5I

We need to be able to have parties with free fish tacos for everyone. The fish belong to all of us.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #23053 on: January 11, 2022, 08:18:46 PM »

I constantly say it.
You can hate Trump but you cannot hate all the people who like him since it is half the country.
And you cannot set yourself up  as some sort of moral paragon because this is  your political belief and somebody else has taken a another one.
They identify issues mostly mostly what they can feel superior to another person for.

Bill Maher

Agree with Maher, except that the heel is not the whole Left, just some of it.  For me, when I hear someone on the Right talk about smaller government, I can feel some kinship and we might have common ground, even if we still disagree on where government can be useful.  But we may agree that bureaucracy can create a surplus of pointless jobs, what (Left Wing anarchist anthropologist) David Graeber called bullshit jobs.  Or that foreign interventions come at a high cost.  Or that debt and credit can be destructive forces and reduce human freedom.  And the Left and Right often converge on the importance of reducing electronic surveillance and other intrusive technologies.
In short, I believe there are people of good character on both wings who affirm the value of personal autonomy and free thought. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23054 on: January 11, 2022, 08:24:27 PM »

I constantly say it.

Bill Maher

"Mostly mostly" is probably a cousin of Nicely Nicely.

In his last sentence, Bill almost has it right. Not quite, just mostly mostly.

I don't look for issues about which I can feel superior, but I do have a bunch about which I do feel superior to bunches of folks, like Kid and Ward.

For example, one of my issues is voting rights. To me, that means making it as easy as possible to let US citizens vote for the presidential candidate of their choice. Early voting, mail in voting without needing an excuse, longer open hours, and mistake correction are among those methods. I would also include more readily accessible polling stations and permission for folks to feed/provide water to those standing in line more than an hour and permission for folks to provide rides to the polling stations in groups.

I am opposed to gerrymandering by any political party, whether for racial or political purposes.

I am opposed to racism and believe we should act to undo the long term lasting impacts of it, not just pretend they have no impact on 2022's citizenry.

I believe in gun control - not elimination, but control.

I believe in the right of women to decide what to do with their own bodies, wrt abortion and at the same time I believe you should not be allowed to choose to make me sick.

No dearth of issues.

Hating? Eh.

Hate the liars and hypocrites who want to pretend that the last election was rigged.

Hate the folks pushing violence.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 1535 1536 [1537] 1538 1539 ... 2929