Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1538 1539 [1540] 1541 1542 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 764909 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #23085 on: January 12, 2022, 07:10:07 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/11/trump-fdr-roosevelt-coup-attempt-1930s

I don't remember having ever heard about that attempt!

How about you?

They had that TV show on what would have happened had it worked.  Lindbergh as president.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #23087 on: January 12, 2022, 07:36:14 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/12/us-omicron-cases-effects-schools-supply-shortage-hospitals

Republicans are always causing the closure of rural hospitals.

It is because they prefer pain and fear to prosperity.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #23088 on: January 12, 2022, 08:10:00 PM »

The big 3, hospitals and schools and orphanages.

In many parts of the world there would not be any hospitals nor schools nor orphanages were it not for the Catholic Church. Plus the Catholic Church feeds the hungry, and the Catholic Priests teach the farmers how to farm and how to raise livestock, etc.

So I gave a whole list of ideas to the Catholic Church to guarantee schools, and hospitals, and orphanages, including ways to mine for Gold with satellites to tell us were to find the Gold, you just go to where the satellite tells you to go find the Gold. NASA and Sverdrup can tell the Catholic Church where to look for Gold. Then, the money from the Gold goes to schools, and hospitals, and orphanages. And we have lumber, and fish, and other goods. I sent the Catholic Church every idea that I could think of in order to provide schools, and hospitals, and orphanages.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23090 on: January 12, 2022, 08:59:03 PM »

Rivaling CNN for the wild headline.

Holly Martins

« Reply #23091 on: January 12, 2022, 09:38:20 PM »

I like some Daily Kos, but a lot of it is a glorified message board with content from novice or amateur journalists.   So the quality is uneven, to say the least. 

Y'all have a nice evening, and I hope the morrow finds you well.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23092 on: January 12, 2022, 09:46:07 PM »

I like some Daily Kos, but a lot of it is a glorified message board with content from novice or amateur journalists.   So the quality is uneven, to say the least. 

I won't post the vast bulk of Daily Kos, but now and again, despite its headlines, it has a story worth reading.

This was a good story, IMNSHO.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #23093 on: January 12, 2022, 11:34:26 PM »

It shows that ground can be gained and that the American fascism that has Red covered in his own drool can be stopped if we all keep faith and work hard at it. We may not even have to resort to violence to contain the vile lunatics on the right if we execute a good enough strategy for constant and consistent victory.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23094 on: January 13, 2022, 09:20:51 AM »

http://www.emptywheel.net/2022/01/12/three-things-a-call-to-action-for-voting-rights/

Start calling and keep marching.

Bill has to be changed to have any shot

And Dems are soiling the John Lewis bill by not having it stand alone, not driving it home first - choosing instead to try a larger (and silly) bite of the pie with the second bill.

Lewis legislation - confirmation of Voter Rights Act, will pass.  Just let it breathe and take the win.  Stop demonizing Republicans for being in favor of common sense legislation but  averse to extremity of the second bill. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #23095 on: January 13, 2022, 09:32:16 AM »

I won't post the vast bulk of Daily Kos, but now and again, despite its headlines, it has a story worth reading.

This was a good story, IMNSHO.

That one was, yes.  Interesting details, like the justice who wouldn't recuse himself.

The coverage in The Hill omitted that tidbit.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/589462-ohio-supreme-court-strikes-down-gop-drawn-state-house-senate-maps

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23096 on: January 13, 2022, 10:04:06 AM »

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1481070097691258883?s=20

In 2006 Collins cosponsored legislation to reauthorize key but temporary parts of Voting Rights Act (1965) that protect the voting rights of all Americans. 

Susan Collins:
One of the most fundamental and significant rights afforded to American citizens is the right to vote.  This right must not be hampered or denied to any citizen through discriminatory tactics .This bill will ensure that the voting rights afforded to all Americans are protected.

The renewal prohibits the enactment of any election law that would deny or abridge voting rights based on race, color, or membership in a language minority.  It also allows private citizens and the government to challenge discriminatory voting practices and procedures. It was endorsed by a wide array of civil rights organizations, including the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and the American Bar Association.

It was passed by an overwhelming vote in the House and unanimously in the Senate both controlled by the GOP and signed into law by President George W. Bush.
You are absolutely right. Nothing so well illustrates the degeneration of the Republican Party from a moderately principled political party to the post policy right wing power for power's sake machine (and Susan Collins's role in it) it is now like how its (and her) position on voting rights has changed. Whatever creature Collins was in 2006 is vastly different to what she is now.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #23097 on: January 13, 2022, 10:13:13 AM »

http://www.emptywheel.net/2022/01/12/three-things-a-call-to-action-for-voting-rights/

Start calling and keep marching.

Bill has to be changed to have any shot
Only the end of the filibuster gives it a shot. The Repos have made it clear they have no intention of supporting any voting rights bill. Chasing the pipe dream of Republican support is futile.
And Dems are soiling the John Lewis bill by not having it stand alone, not driving it home first - choosing instead to try a larger (and silly) bite of the pie with the second bill.

Lewis legislation - confirmation of Voter Rights Act, will pass. 
The Repos already filibustered the Johnewis VRA in November, with only Murkowski voting for it. It will not pass with the filibuster in place.

Just let it breathe and take the win.  Stop demonizing Republicans for being in favor of common sense legislation but  averse to extremity of the second bill.
49 Republicans opposed the "common sense legislation" in November. They are not and never will be in favor of it. Stop pretending tbe Repos are interested in anything that limits their attempts to restrict the votes of people they know will vote against them.
A parrot bit me.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23098 on: January 13, 2022, 10:30:34 AM »

The second bill stands in the way of the first.  Joe should hammer away at the Lewis bill, leave the other.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #23099 on: January 13, 2022, 11:13:22 AM »

The second bill stands in the way of the first. 
How? The first was already filibustered by 49 Repos. There is zero reason to think any hearts or minds have changed.
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 1538 1539 [1540] 1541 1542 ... 2929